PDA

View Full Version : Tires.. yes this again

Blindeye_03
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Im having a tough time finding GOOD reviews for tires in the size I need.

Basically I am looking for size 205/50/16 - I want something that handles the wet as good as the dry, has a stiff sidewall, and will last 30k-40k miles. I do a lot of highway driving, but still want something that will corner well for spirited driving around town on occasion.

I am not looking for a summer tire or an autocross tire.

And preferably around $100 or less per tire.

Zzyzx
05-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Most summer tires are designed to handle rain as good if not better then your average all season... so my vote would be buy (insert random summer tire here)

Blindeye_03
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
But they wont last as long.. I need something that will last longer than the 20k miles I got out of my pirelli pzero neros. What a joke...My last set lasted a little over 40k. These...20k.

I found some Falken FK 452's on Discount tire.. anyone have any imput to those?

2k3hatchie
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
1010tires, they list almost every tire for every size, they have a cool calculator too.

Silvercard
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I have been rolling with hankook evos v12. 50 mir. I have size 215/45/17. They are better than the nexen 3000 i had and handle the Phoenix streets very well!

codyep3
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
my faulken 512's 225x35x17 lasted like 10k miles rofl. But I also live in Arizona with 125 degree summers

so far my ecsta ast's ,205x50x16, are working very well. IMO they are still sporty enough for me for all-seasons

Blindeye_03
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
my faulken 512's 225x35x17 lasted like 10k miles rofl. But I also live in Arizona with 125 degree summers

so far my ecsta ast's ,205x50x16, are working very well. IMO they are still sporty enough for me for all-seasons

How many miles do you have on those ast's?

El Mocha King
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
tirerack has bfg gforce super sport a/s (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A%2FS&partnum=05WR6GFAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes) for $95 each. My cousin has them on his prelude and they've lasted him for a while. He seems to like them quite a bit.

4angrybadgers
05-05-2010, 05:46 AM
The General Exclaim UHPs are pretty good for low-priced summer tires. I've put ~10k miles on my set so far (including a few passes down the 1/4-mile and a handful of fun road runs) and there's not much visible wear. I won't say they have the stiffest sidewalls around, but they're good enough for me, and they're in the ~$80/tire range.

Hondatuner87
05-05-2010, 08:28 AM
The General Exclaim UHPs are pretty good for low-priced summer tires. I've put ~10k miles on my set so far (including a few passes down the 1/4-mile and a handful of fun road runs) and there's not much visible wear. I won't say they have the stiffest sidewalls around, but they're good enough for me, and they're in the ~$80/tire range.

I work for discount tire, that is a HORRID tire. The only good thing about them is they handle fairly well in a wet condition...other then that, they are loud, and after they wear down after about 10,000 miles they get VERY loud. As you said, sidewall isn't that stiff, and from my personal experience the responsiveness is not all there.

To the op, checkout the general altimax hp and the goodyear eagle gt if you want a well rounded all season/sporty/performance tire.

RedSiBaron
05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
check out the goodyear eagle GTs, they are excellent excellent tires that meet your requirements

Hondatuner87
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
to the op, checkout the general altimax hp and the goodyear eagle gt if you want a well rounded all season/sporty/performance tire.

check out the goodyear eagle gts, they are excellent excellent tires that meet your requirements

mhmmmm

T_Virus
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
tirerack has bfg gforce super sport a/s (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A%2FS&partnum=05WR6GFAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes) for $95 each. My cousin has them on his prelude and they've lasted him for a while. He seems to like them quite a bit.

I agree. I'm on a 2nd set of these tires already on my EP with 205/50/16. I've managed to put 40K miles on them. The dudes at America's Tires/Discount Tires were suprised.

socmex7
05-05-2010, 02:39 PM
goodyear eagle gt's. stop there. asymetrical all-season tire. lasts a while and handles well in almost any type of weather.

falken 452's and 512's will NOT last. I also work for Discount Tire Co./America's Tire Co. (see sig) trust me on this, these will not last to your expectations.

Hankook V12's are great tires but they also wil not last but hey HANDLE!

G-Force Sports are an ok option, i got 27k out of my last set of those.

General's are basically the same performance-wise as the g-forces but won't last as long.

for what YOU want out of the tire, pay the cash for the GT's, you will not be disappointed.

rd02SiR
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I've heard great reviews on the BFG gforce sport. Tonnes of sizes, fairly cheap, excellent wear rating....take a look.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&partnum=05ZR6GFSPV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$88 a tire, not to shabby if you ask me.

Personally, I had the Falken 452. They were ok, stiff side wall, great response. Only lasted me 1.5 summers as the camber wear got to them. I'm now on Direzza Star Specs and they are pretty good so far, but it hasn't been hot long enough for the roads to be real warm, to get a good test outta them. But so far they are great, grip great.

Slip_Angle
05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I work for discount tire

I also work for Discount Tire Co./America's Tire Co.

Wow, what are the chances ephatch has 2 of you working at Discount Tire!

I currently have Dunlop Z1's, which need replacing soon. Unfortunately Discount Tire doesn't have the Z1's in a 215/45/17... What have you guys heard about the Kumho XS?

02_epdriver
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I got close to 60k out of my goodyear eagle gt's

Draw7Seven
05-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I've heard great reviews on the BFG gforce sport. Tonnes of sizes, fairly cheap, excellent wear rating....take a look.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&partnum=05ZR6GFSPV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$88 a tire, not to shabby if you ask me.

LOVE this tire. Love it.

I wanna try these Eagle GT's now.

4angrybadgers
05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
I work for discount tire, that is a HORRID tire. The only good thing about them is they handle fairly well in a wet condition...other then that, they are loud, and after they wear down after about 10,000 miles they get VERY loud. As you said, sidewall isn't that stiff, and from my personal experience the responsiveness is not all there.

:mrolleyes: We must be talking about different tires then. I've had zero noise issues and I'm at ~10k right now. Like I said, they aren't awesome tires when it comes to handling, but they're fine for the price range.

socmex7
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow, what are the chances ephatch has 2 of you working at Discount Tire!

I currently have Dunlop Z1's, which need replacing soon. Unfortunately Discount Tire doesn't have the Z1's in a 215/45/17... What have you guys heard about the Kumho XS?

odds are pretty good since it's the largest independently owned tire company in the US, and there's a couple people on here. at least 2 from so-cal to that i know of! :mbiggrin:. my shop supplies most of the track tires to a so-cal based Mazda forum (MOCCforums.com) and the guys who run the XS' love them. they heat up nicely and have little to no fade towards the end of a trackday. they actually beat out the Star Specs in the dry traction competition. their Achilles heel would be their wet traction which is comparable to the RT-615's.

the Star Specs have been on on a slight backorder in that size, but they are available! my DD and track tires are the Star Specs (in different sizes) and i had to get my 215/45-17's shipped to California from Dunlop's Tennessee! warehouse!

Slip_Angle
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
odds are pretty good since it's the largest independently owned tire company in the US, and there's a couple people on here. at least 2 from so-cal to that i know of! :mbiggrin:. my shop supplies most of the track tires to a so-cal based Mazda forum (MOCCforums.com) and the guys who run the XS' love them. they heat up nicely and have little to no fade towards the end of a trackday. they actually beat out the Star Specs in the dry traction competition. their Achilles heel would be their wet traction which is comparable to the RT-615's.

the Star Specs have been on on a slight backorder in that size, but they are available! my DD and track tires are the Star Specs (in different sizes) and i had to get my 215/45-17's shipped to California from Dunlop's Tennessee! warehouse!

Hmm, any info on the how the XS's wear? I'm really considering them. I love the Starspecs but like to try different things. Looks like the XS's may be more comfortable too...

If I did order the SS again, would I have to call in to order the 215/45-17's? I can't see them on the site.

tatsu666
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
well i'm 15" stock rims, but i just got a set of new tires last week. Bridestone RE960AS Pole Positions, because there's $75 gift card. I might have chose Yoko S.Drive if there wasn't any rebates.

socmex7
05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Hmm, any info on the how the XS's wear? I'm really considering them. I love the Starspecs but like to try different things. Looks like the XS's may be more comfortable too...

If I did order the SS again, would I have to call in to order the 215/45-17's? I can't see them on the site.

yea, just call and if you still can't get them just shoot me a pm :mwink:. for the Kumho's though, i have no idea. everyone that i know that has them has either just got them, or just tracks them lol... i may end up trying the Hankook V12's for my daily wheels just for kicks..

kai-wun
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs if you don't need a lot of treadlife

Yokohama S.Drive, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport are good choices with a longer life.

Falken Ziex ZE912 for a low cost alternative.

Hondatuner87
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Also, if you can pay the extra cash for the dws's from continental, and you can find them in stock somewhere (most of them are on backorder with common sizes) its an AMAZING tire for the money, and it comes with a 50k mileage warranty that a lot of you guys can benefit from.

Slip_Angle
05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Also, if you can pay the extra cash for the dws's from continental, and you can find them in stock somewhere (most of them are on backorder with common sizes) its an AMAZING tire for the money, and it comes with a 50k mileage warranty that a lot of you guys can benefit from.

Tirerack rated them #1 in their test group. I wonder how they compare in dry traction to tires like the Hankook Evo V12

socmex7
05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
lol, comparing all season compound tires to performance tires in terms of grip. they were rated #1 in a snow test. they are great tires don't get me wrong, but in no way will they perform like a performance oriented tire in the dry. the DW's are leaps and bounds better in dry/wet traction.

*went to a ride-n-drive sponsored by Continental/Bridgestone. the dws' were nice in terms of ride, but they squealed like pigs when pushed hard.

Hondatuner87
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
lol, comparing all season compound tires to performance tires in terms of grip. they were rated #1 in a snow test. they are great tires don't get me wrong, but in no way will they perform like a performance oriented tire in the dry. the DW's are leaps and bounds better in dry/wet traction.

*went to a ride-n-drive sponsored by Continental/Bridgestone. the dws' were nice in terms of ride, but they squealed like pigs when pushed hard.

The dws's would be perfect for him because hes more looking for some "all season" however if your looking for a good performance tire yes the dw's are far better. In my opinion i think the continental extreme contact dw's are the replacement for the sport contact line of tires. The tread design between the two is SO CLOSE!

Slip_Angle
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM

I didn't understand they were all-seasons. Just had a very quick look and saw the #1 rating... should have read further.

So far, it looks like I'm in for another set of Dunlop Z1's.

socmex7
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
The dws's would be perfect for him because hes more looking for some "all season" however if your looking for a good performance tire yes the dw's are far better. In my opinion i think the continental extreme contact dw's are the replacement for the sport contact line of tires. The tread design between the two is SO CLOSE!

oh, i wasn't recommending a performance tire to him, i already made my recommendation, Goodyear Eagle GT. they're cheaper than the DSW's and come with the same warranty from the manufacture.

and yes, the extreme contact series is the replacement series for the sport contact 2 and 3's. Continental has already discontinued the sport contact 3's and some sizes of the sport contact 2's... but the sport contacts come stock on a lot of cars so they prolly won't phase that model out for awhile..

Hondatuner87
05-20-2010, 08:14 AM
oh, i wasn't recommending a performance tire to him, i already made my recommendation, Goodyear Eagle GT. they're cheaper than the DSW's and come with the same warranty from the manufacture.

and yes, the extreme contact series is the replacement series for the sport contact 2 and 3's. Continental has already discontinued the sport contact 3's and some sizes of the sport contact 2's... but the sport contacts come stock on a lot of cars so they prolly won't phase that model out for awhile..

yup, most of the bmw m3's and m5's come with that tire stock from the factory.

2k3hatchie
05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I've had Eagle GT's on my car for about 20k now and I love em. I'll probably buy another set when they get worn out.