PDA

View Full Version : New Dad! Baby Seat Questions

dirtyduck17
05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm a proud new father and had a question for the other dads here regarding how well baby seats fit in the rear of an EP. We're currently using the wifey's Fit to cruise around with the youngin and my poor Panda (EP) has been parked since my daughter was born. I haven't tried to fit a seat yet so I'm in complete ignorance as to how well a baby seat fits. We're currently using a Graco Alano infant seat.

Do some brands fit better than others?

Which side do you place the seat? (driver/passenger)

Any Ep/baby advice you can offer?

Thanks guys/gals

1SalientEp3
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
welll i not a father and a damn proud god father, i take my godson places sometimes. i put him on my rear passenger side, kuz i hate moving my driver seat all the time. dont know what brand the seat is but it fit fine.

dirtyduck17
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
welll i not a father and a damn proud god father, i take my godson places sometimes. i put him on my rear passenger side, kuz i hate moving my driver seat all the time. dont know what brand the seat is but it fit fine.

Thanks for the info... i don't know if I'm ready tolet anyone other than the wife or myself drive my little one around. Does your seat face forward or rearward? Chances are that we're gonna keep her rearward facing as long as possible.

usedep3
05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
link (http://www.recarochildseats.com/store/recaro-child-seats/recaro-childseats-vivo-crimson)

RECAROOOOOOO's

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/v/i/vivo-crimson-l.jpg

dirtyduck17
05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
link (http://www.recarochildseats.com/store/recaro-child-seats/recaro-childseats-vivo-crimson)

RECAROOOOOOO's

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/v/i/vivo-crimson-l.jpg

NICE!! Chances are we're gonna go with Britax because it has the highest weight rating for rear facing seats. I love the fact that they coordinate with my factory seats though!

starwars_ep3
05-05-2010, 08:00 PM
http://pitcrewmotors.com/ebay/ctrbabyseat.jpg

type r recaro baby seat. so kayooot.

MajorJones
05-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Not a dad but my room mate has a baby girl, we take the ep around a lot. i put the car seat on the passenger side so i can reach over if i hear a bottle drop.(spilled milk in a car smells the worst) that's when its just me. If my room mate is riding with then, the car seat goes behind the driver so mom can reach over for anything.

T_Virus
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
hmm...either way I'll have to look at these in october.

MBaG
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
you're supposed to put it behind the passenger seat. the driver needs to be comfortable with the space they can get., & if anything, the passenger can always scoot up & suck it up.

jenuyin
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Not a dad but my room mate has a baby girl, we take the ep around a lot. i put the car seat on the passenger side so i can reach over if i hear a bottle drop.(spilled milk in a car smells the worst) that's when its just me. If my room mate is riding with then, the car seat goes behind the driver so mom can reach over for anything.

The Major is right. Milk is the worst. I am a Proud father of two boy and they both lived out their speeding fantasies in my EP. I always put the Car seat behind the Passenger I sit at 5 ft 11 in. with long legs, so i value all the space i can get.even when there are others in the car The seat stays there. There are latches if you want to go that route or you can just use the seatbelt method. Either one works good. Different carseats have different sizes , but I have been through 3 different ones and they all fit just fine! play on playa!! Just wait---"GO FASTER DADDY!!!"

dirtyduck17
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
In my lady's Fit we have the seat behind the passenger seat because it doesn't fit well behind long legged drivers like her. I'll have to experiment with placement to see what best fits my new little family.

T_Virus, congrats on the coming new member to your family!

htech
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm a proud new father and had a question for the other dads here regarding how well baby seats fit in the rear of an EP. We're currently using the wifey's Fit to cruise around with the youngin and my poor Panda (EP) has been parked since my daughter was born. I haven't tried to fit a seat yet so I'm in complete ignorance as to how well a baby seat fits. We're currently using a Graco Alano infant seat.

Do some brands fit better than others?

Which side do you place the seat? (driver/passenger)

Any Ep/baby advice you can offer?

Thanks guys/gals

father of two here , for some reason i find graco to be really good , it fits behind my seat so i can still fold the bigger part of the back seat , my 7 year old rides in a booster seat , so when not in use it's toss in the back ,

but you can try them out at you're local babies 'r'us , they let me do it back when i was looking for one ,

hope this help's and good luck budd .

lostniraq25
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
father of a 4 year old and his seat is behind the passenger so that he can see me and talk to me when he is bored. cant remember the name of it but it matches the stock seats perfect. I was trying to get a recaro but couldnt wait that long to pick one up.

dirtyduck17
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the info guys... especially htech. Seeing as I have a Graco seat myself that info was very handy.

I'm not looking forward to moving the seat base from side to side in the back just to make my front seat passengers more comfortable. It might just have to stay behind me. I'm only 5'7" and I set my seat back fairly upright so room behind me isn't an issue.

Again, I appreciate the info!

Draw7Seven
05-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I tend to read too quickly and my first glance of the post above was:

father of a 4 year old and... cant remember the name...

T_Virus
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
In my lady's Fit we have the seat behind the passenger seat because it doesn't fit well behind long legged drivers like her. I'll have to experiment with placement to see what best fits my new little family.

T_Virus, congrats on the coming new member to your family!

thanks...

RON
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
NICE!! Chances are we're gonna go with Britax because it has the highest weight rating for rear facing seats. I love the fact that they coordinate with my factory seats though!

This is the best and highest rated seat in the US.

http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-22/keyfit-22-coventry.aspx

Britax is just a name... Chicco is the best. Trust me I have one of each and our $400 Britax stopped being used because the Chicco was way better, and way more user friendly.

dirtyduck17
05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
This is the best and highest rated seat in the US.

http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-22/keyfit-22-coventry.aspx

Britax is just a name... Chicco is the best. Trust me I have one of each and our $400 Britax stopped being used because the Chicco was way better, and way more user friendly.

Thanks for the info.

I'm currently using a the graco seat we received as a baby shower gift. The next seat we'll be in the market for is a convertible seat that has a high rear facing weight rating. Most convertible seats are good up to about 35 lbs. The wife and I want Elisa (the youngin) to stay rear facing as long as possible.

I checked your link and the chicco looks really easy to use. The booster seat looks good too. I didn't see a convertible seat offered though.

shortstop
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I didn't think there was much room when my kid was in the rear facing seat so i put him in the middle and butted my seat to a comfortable spot and the passenger seat up against the other side (with or without a passenger). I notice nobody else put their kid in the middle......hmm........maybe this is a bad choice? I have the recaro that was first posted on here now and it works great to get in and out and doesn't rub/tare up the fabric.

ep3k20
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
congrats i also am a new dad (just a month ago today) and i personally wanted not only safety, but reliabitly,comfort and had to match my car. i actually bought a Recaro signo infant seat for my little guy. its good for up to 45 lbs and has 5 star side and front rating. At 300 dollars it was not cheap however i lucked out because the one i ordered came in black with red stiching (shit you guys not hence why i jumped to buy it so fast lol) its extremely padded and very well made. however word of advise, just because its expensive does not make it a totally perfect safe seat. do your RESEARCH before buying any seat. i only bought mine cause its one of the safest seats on the market and can be used til he is a toddler so it just sold itself to me and it matches plus....come on a new born in a recaro race seat? duh

dirtyduck17
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
congrats i also am a new dad (just a month ago today) and i personally wanted not only safety, but reliabitly,comfort and had to match my car. i actually bought a Recaro signo infant seat for my little guy. its good for up to 45 lbs and has 5 star side and front rating. At 300 dollars it was not cheap however i lucked out because the one i ordered came in black with red stiching (shit you guys not hence why i jumped to buy it so fast lol) its extremely padded and very well made. however word of advise, just because its expensive does not make it a totally perfect safe seat. do your RESEARCH before buying any seat. i only bought mine cause its one of the safest seats on the market and can be used til he is a toddler so it just sold itself to me and it matches plus....come on a new born in a recaro race seat? duh

Kinda wish I'd sprung for the Recaro or Chicco. I received the Graco set as a baby shower gift. It has good reviews and came well recommended. Also, you can beat free.

When it comes time to get the larger seat (convertible/toddler) the Recaro will get a very close look.

RON
05-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm currently using a the graco seat we received as a baby shower gift. The next seat we'll be in the market for is a convertible seat that has a high rear facing weight rating. Most convertible seats are good up to about 35 lbs. The wife and I want Elisa (the youngin) to stay rear facing as long as possible.

I checked your link and the chicco looks really easy to use. The booster seat looks good too. I didn't see a convertible seat offered though.

This is the new seat we bought. Actually we have now bought two... I had a Britax; and returned it for this one.

http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=299&pfid=3098

My wife researches this stuff to the max! This is the best seat! I got this one in all black.

EpThreeD
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I fit a booster and car seat no problem. Put the car seat behind passenger and make the big kid crawl over. Plenty of room.

dirtyduck17
05-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I fit a booster and car seat no problem. Put the car seat behind passenger and make the big kid crawl over. Plenty of room.

Thanks for the heads up. When Elisa (my daughter) get older that will be the plan. She's only a month old now.

K20wagon
05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Congrats on the baby, I am a proud father of a 11 month old son right now. I also have one of the graco carseats and it works pretty good. When he was an infant and he was rear facing it was a pain to get him in and out and the fact that my wife had to be all up on the dash but it goes by really quick. Before you know it you will have to get a forward facing carseat and it fits good with no having to be up on the dash or anything. I am actually in the market for one of those recaro carseats.

dirtyduck17
05-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the baby, I am a proud father of a 11 month old son right now. I also have one of the graco carseats and it works pretty good. When he was an infant and he was rear facing it was a pain to get him in and out and the fact that my wife had to be all up on the dash but it goes by really quick. Before you know it you will have to get a forward facing carseat and it fits good with no having to be up on the dash or anything. I am actually in the market for one of those recaro carseats.

Thanks! I'm 5'8" and sit fairly upright so the baby seat fits behind me with no problem. With the seat behind me Mom can turn around and check her easily. Jill (the wifey) is hell bent on keeping her rear facing as long as possible. That Recaro is a awesome seat. I'll be in the market for one too when Elisa out grows her infant seat.

4angrybadgers
05-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Good info here, thanks everyone. My wife is due in November, so we'll have to start researching infant car seats soon.

EpThreeD
05-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Congrats everyone. The ep is very capable baby hauler.

K20wagon
05-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Congrats everyone. The ep is very capable baby hauler.

x2 and they love riding in it to.

dirtyduck17
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
x2 and they love riding in it to.

True story. Although Elisa is only a month old I pretend that she enjoys riding in the EP more than the wifey's Fit. Strangely enough, the infant seat seems to fit better in my backseat too. Go figure.

HatchLing02
05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
my son just turn 4 months and so far iv had nothing but good things to say about chicco stuff. his base is behind the pass. seat and he pops in and out with out any problems. The set cost alot but worth every dollar. i would have never guessed i would have a child with the ep but so far its been easy and im glad to keep my egg.

powdbyrice
06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Werd. I'm looking at the recaro as well (kid not due too august). It comes in a bunch of different colors which is kinda cool. Buuut its rarely included in comparison articles. However the wife is cool with it, soooo...

Ps: target.com sells it for a decent price.

EpThreeD
06-02-2010, 11:01 AM
lot of dads on here.

WigginsSiR
06-02-2010, 11:14 AM
car seats are spos-to be set up in the center of the rear seat

dirtyduck17
06-02-2010, 12:35 PM
car seats are spos-to be set up in the center of the rear seat

Didn't know that. The LATCH attachments seem to be set up for one side or the other. Isn't really an issue because I'm not a big guy and keep my seat back upright. Can you link a source for that info?

_shift
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I know it's a little late, but congrats on the little girl. I'm in the market for a new seat myself, so I'm glad this thread popped up. I've done a little research, but I'm wondering if anyone here know about the best seat(s) for children with disabilities. My son just turned one, but due to his condition, he is still only around 15lbs. I imagine he will need to stay in a rear facing seat for awhile due to his semi lack of motor skills (still can't hold his head up on his own), but I can't see to find anything for slightly bigger childern for once he gains more weight. So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any larger rearfacing seats anyone knows of?

dirtyduck17
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I know it's a little late, but congrats on the little girl. I'm in the market for a new seat myself, so I'm glad this thread popped up. I've done a little research, but I'm wondering if anyone here know about the best seat(s) for children with disabilities. My son just turned one, but due to his condition, he is still only around 15lbs. I imagine he will need to stay in a rear facing seat for awhile due to his semi lack of motor skills (still can't hold his head up on his own), but I can't see to find anything for slightly bigger childern for once he gains more weight. So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any larger rearfacing seats anyone knows of?

Most convertible seat can be rear facing for up to 35lbs or 32". You might need to find something with better head support though. Safety 1st has a pretty interesting air- protect system for their seats.

(AIR)Protect (http://airprotect.safety1st.com/carseats.php)

Chances are that's gonna be the seat we get for Elisa when she gets bigger.

WigginsSiR
06-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Didn't know that. The LATCH attachments seem to be set up for one side or the other. Isn't really an issue because I'm not a big guy and keep my seat back upright. Can you link a source for that info?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_installing-a-car-seat_9458.bc

dirtyduck17
06-03-2010, 05:48 AM
http://www.babycenter.com/0_installing-a-car-seat_9458.bc

+1 Terrific info!

WigginsSiR
06-03-2010, 09:09 AM
+1 Terrific info!

i do what i can :) i have an almost 9 month old boy

vtecDave
06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I agree with all said about the Chicco brand, its very good. It has lasted both of our kids thru infancy. Our first was born right before I got the EP. We had the Chicco "travel system" and I kept the base for the seat latched in the middle (I really liked the leveling system). When in position, the rear facing seat nestled perfectly in between the two front seats. I am 6'-2" and my wife is 5'-9" so we had the seats back in place comfortable for us and it all just fit. It wouldn't work for us to have this infant seat latched to one specific side, not enough room.

Now the kids are 3yrs and 17mos. and we use Britax models that stay in the Accord. My son's "middle stage" Britax stays latched behind the driver seat in the EP and there is enough room for me, in my normal driving position, and either my son or daughter forward facing. I'd keep it behind the passenger side but I carpool to work and need the easy entry/exit side open for co-workers.

Chicco and Britax are both good brands.