PDA

View Full Version : ATE Superblue or Wilwood 570??

Jukka
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm puttin some parts together to rebuild my suspension in the next month or so, and since i know im going to have my rear knuckels out for awhile, I bought some stainless brake lines to go with it. As for the fluid though, I'm debating. I dont know if i should run the ATE Superblue or run Wilwood 570 brake fluids. Both are DOT3 fluids. A bunch of my buddies who drive european cars LOVE the ATE stuff, but havent heard of any one with a Honda complain or rave about it. With the wilwood, its pretty much the same. Ive heard alot of good reviews about it from customers and co-workers, but none of them have had it in a honda.

Thoughts??

Lucid Moments
05-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I run the ATE in my car and am perfectly satisfied with it. I used to run the Wilwood EXP 600+ but switched to the ATE because of the cost. The 600+ costs over twice what the ATE does.

Just looking at the specs, the Wilwood 570 has a higher dry boiling point than the ATE, but the ATE has a higher wet boiling point. I'm not sure there is enough difference between the two to really matter. For me it boiled down to availability.

Jukka
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
availability is another thing with me too. I sell the Wilwood stuff at my work and get it for $5.78 for 12oz of it. Where as the ATE stuff, i gotta buy from the european tuning shop where i buy my motul at an unknown cost (havent checked yet).

talonXracer
05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
ATE is the only brake fluid I use.

HondaFreak
05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
ATE is awesome stuff. You can use type200 or super blue. It's the same stuff just ones blue and the other is gold. Your supposed to alternate when changing fluid so you know you have bled all of the alternate out completely.
BTW, ate is DOT4, not DOT3.

Christian

02_epdriver
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I was going to try the superblue but not sure of any local places that carry it so I'm going to try the amsoil brake fluid. I guess I will give results on how that works.

sLiCk
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I too run ATE typ200/superblue both on the road and on the track. Good fluid and very affordable.

Jukka
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I went to the shop where I buy my motul motor oil cuz he used to carry the ATE stuff, and he said hes stopped carrying it because its no good. He said a bunch of his customers ran the blue and would boil it if they were doing cuircut racing or autocross. Plus he said the dye they used in the ATE stays on all the seals in the braking system and if you switch fluid they dye stays on all the seals and causes pressure fluxuation issues. Soooo, i think ill buy the Wilwood stuff, I can buy it for dirt cheap + i have it right away. And its a DOT 3

Lucid Moments
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I went to the shop where I buy my motul motor oil cuz he used to carry the ATE stuff, and he said hes stopped carrying it because its no good. He said a bunch of his customers ran the blue and would boil it if they were doing cuircut racing or autocross. Plus he said the dye they used in the ATE stays on all the seals in the braking system and if you switch fluid they dye stays on all the seals and causes pressure fluxuation issues. Soooo, i think ill buy the Wilwood stuff, I can buy it for dirt cheap + i have it right away. And its a DOT 3

If you can find it for a good price and its convienient then by all means go with it. I was perfectly happy with the Wilwood product I used, just switched because of cost and availability.

Don't believe what the guy at the shop told you though. You can boil any brake fluid, and while the Wilwood does have a slightly higer dry boiling temp it really isn't all that much of a difference, so if his customers were boiling the ATE they would have boiled the Wilwood 570 too. And the bit about the dye is just pure bullshit.

Zzyzx
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

If his customers were boiling their ATE fluid... then they haven't serviced it in a long time (User error). ATE dry boil temp = 536Deg F, Willwood - 570 deg F; not a whole lot of difference there when you are talking about brakes.

My guess is that his ATE supplier started charging him more so he stopped carrying it. BTW, ATE super blue is BMW's OEM brake fluid. and if you dont want the blue tint... go with ATE Type 200; its the same fluid.

HondaFreak
05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
...i have it right away. And its a DOT 3

Uh If they are boiling ATE they don't know how to bleed brakes. And umm, no it's not DOT3

ATE Super Blue Racing High Performance Brake Fluid is designed to excel within the extreme demands made on a race vehicle and exceeds all DOT4 standards. It is compatible with and will mix well with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 fluids.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=21

Look at the bottom of the front of the container. Reading is F-U-N-D-A-M-E-N-T-A-L

Christian