PDA

View Full Version : I'd like opinions!

02ep3413
05-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I've noticed my front two struts are going, I was wondering what would be my best option, coming from those who have replaced struts before.

I was thinking about getting new struts/coilovers. I dont know whether to buy the OEM struts and buy lowering springs, or to buy coilovers. I've been looking into the D2 and progress.

ANY OPIONIONS WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS

Drew1d
05-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Replace the worn dampers. If your going to run different springs, match the spring to the tires, than dampers to the springs.

yyi
05-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Replace the worn dampers. If your going to run different springs, match the spring to the tires, than dampers to the springs.

elaborate how this is done please?

Zzyzx
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
are you just looking to replace the dampers on the stock suspension or are you looking to try a whole new setup?

Drew1d
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
elaborate how this is done please? That picture of the basketball player gettin' kicked is awesome.
Elaborate... Well, like stock tires, stock springs, stock dampers, ok. Sticky, wide tires, you'd want stiffer springs to stop all that roll. Stiffer springs need strong dampers. If the car is also lowered, the dampers need to be able to handle the drop. (Stock's will blow)

A lot of coilovers that are sold (spring and damper), are matched to each other. But the tire/rim combo you run might not be. All season tires, stiff springs = less grip.

I have a set of progress springs for a dc5. I found those intersting because they drop the front more, I suppose to even out front and rear weight distribution. But for me, since I live on mountains, I don't need the front weight shifted.

So for the OP, it really depends on what you're gearing your car to do on what you should pick. How stiff of a ride can you stand? Do you have good roads near you? How much comfort would you sacrifice for perfomance? How much money are you willing to spend?

02ep3413
05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys,

I am looking to replace the entire setup, I just didn't know if I could get the same performace for less. I plan on selling the car in about a year, so I was hoping not to spend over 900 to do the suspension. I am interested in getting the d2 coilovers, any reviews?? tough to find

yyi
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
That picture of the basketball player gettin' kicked is awesome.
Elaborate... Well, like stock tires, stock springs, stock dampers, ok. Sticky, wide tires, you'd want stiffer springs to stop all that roll. Stiffer springs need strong dampers. If the car is also lowered, the dampers need to be able to handle the drop. (Stock's will blow)

A lot of coilovers that are sold (spring and damper), are matched to each other. But the tire/rim combo you run might not be. All season tires, stiff springs = less grip.

I have a set of progress springs for a dc5. I found those intersting because they drop the front more, I suppose to even out front and rear weight distribution. But for me, since I live on mountains, I don't need the front weight shifted.

So for the OP, it really depends on what you're gearing your car to do on what you should pick. How stiff of a ride can you stand? Do you have good roads near you? How much comfort would you sacrifice for perfomance? How much money are you willing to spend?

haha thanks, i do love that picture quite dearly.

and thanks for the info, but i was sorta hoping for a way to quantify everything. a bit of a stretch for these things lol, i suppose whats important is matching the feel to the driver's likings.

Drew1d
05-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys,

I am looking to replace the entire setup, I just didn't know if I could get the same performace for less. I plan on selling the car in about a year, so I was hoping not to spend over 900 to do the suspension. I am interested in getting the d2 coilovers, any reviews?? tough to find
Why are you putting money into a car you are selling? :mrolleyes:

Drew1d
05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
haha thanks, i do love that picture quite dearly.
and thanks for the info, but i was sorta hoping for a way to quantify everything. a bit of a stretch for these things lol, i suppose whats important is matching the feel to the driver's likings. I'd probably ask Mugsy or Zzyzx if you are looking for some type of hard number. Grip of the tire measured in G's vs. how much weight transfer to the wheel, and how much of a swaybar you want for under/over steer etc.. I wouldn't say I'm a performance guy. So the math aspect I'm not as concerned. But with that being said, I still find it important to match your components. With a mix-matched setup it either wears out a part or rides like crap.
I think you're right about matching the drivers likings, but that's not a numbers game. And the only way to do that is try different things. Either in your car, or going to a meet and riding in other Eps. If you can figure a way to that mathemagically, you could have saved me a lot of time. ;)

slate13530
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
If you plan on selling the car in a year than why not just swap the struts and save the money.

You can also just wait for the Raceland coilovers which I think will be back in June. You'll have coilovers which people here are using with no issues and the cost is less than $300 I think.

Zzyzx
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
If you are selling the car, then don't put any thing other then a new set of dampers on the car. Else you'd be reducing the value of the car.

slate13530
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
He wouldn't necessarily be reducing the value of the car by putting in a different suspension other than OEM

02ep3413
05-12-2010, 03:12 PM
If you are selling the car, then don't put any thing other then a new set of dampers on the car. Else you'd be reducing the value of the car.

I was thinking about coilovers because the car is modified as it is, CF HOOD, WING, TYPE R KIT, CT EXHAUST ICEBOX, ETC.... when I am going to sell it I plan to sell it through the website, I and someone looking for the modifications I have would surely like a nicer suspension.

I guess I will have to look into just getting new dampers, anyone know any website for me to check out, rather than paying the higher prices from honda??

Draw7Seven
05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
He wouldn't necessarily be reducing the value of the car by putting in a different suspension other than OEM

He really would.

I was thinking about coilovers because the car is modified as it is, CF HOOD, WING, TYPE R KIT, CT EXHAUST ICEBOX, ETC.... when I am going to sell it I plan to sell it through the website, I and someone looking for the modifications I have would surely like a nicer suspension.

I guess I will have to look into just getting new dampers, anyone know any website for me to check out, rather than paying the higher prices from honda??

Check Majestic Honda, H and A parts, and Bernardiparts.com. All three sell parts at less than list, but you'd pay shipping.