PDA

View Full Version : Clunking

codyep3
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Sooo last night was Senior prom for me. After dinner, i was driving down the highway when the front right tire starts to rumble. There is also a noticeable clunk noise. I left my car at a restaraunt for the night, because I didn't feel safe with my girlfriend in the car. Before i take it/tow it to a repair shop, I was wondering what could most likely be the problem. I know this probably seems vague but i wasnt able to take pics or video. I was thinking most likely a CV joint or wheel bearing? Maybe even the axle? Thanks

Edit: If i were to replace my wheel bearings, what number of parts i will need? 5+6?
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+BRAKE+%28+02-03%29&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=Chassis&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=|001|006|005

codyep3
05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
nothing?

Drew1d
05-10-2010, 06:34 AM
nothing?
Not enough info. We can't see your car from here. Have you taken a look? Is a boot ripped? Are there play in the Ball joints? Are the wheels balanced? Are your struts blown? Did you recently have work done before it started making this noise? Is it worse with braking? Does it make the noise worse on a turn? If you bounce the car up and down does it make the noise? Is anything bent with you looked? Any oil leaking from anywhere? Was the car making any noises before? Do you feel the noise in the steering wheel? ...etc.

I thought usually wheel bearings make noise that keeps getting worse. I think you have more diagnosing to do first.

codyep3
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
There was a humming coming from the right front tire for a while. I just thought it was the tire tread, because my tires are notorius for being loud. Struts are not blown, just replaced a couple monthes back. Wheels are balanced. The clunking is bad enough that I had to limp the car back to my house only going 25ish mph. The clunking gets worse after letting off of the accelerator. I am pretty sure it is the wheel bearing,

Drew1d
05-10-2010, 02:39 PM
There was a humming coming from the right front tire for a while. I just thought it was the tire tread, because my tires are notorius for being loud. Struts are not blown, just replaced a couple monthes back. Wheels are balanced. The clunking is bad enough that I had to limp the car back to my house only going 25ish mph. The clunking gets worse after letting off of the accelerator. I am pretty sure it is the wheel bearing,
Could be the wheel bearing I suppose. I actually had similar noises, clunking and a thumping. Same wheel and everything. But it was a frozen brake caliper. If it ever smelled like buring rubber after you drove, I'd say check that. I'd imagine the wheel bearing would be noise at speed, regardless of speeding up or slowing down. Good luck dude.

codyep3
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks, I know that when replacing wheel bearings, most shops will make you pay for the whole hub also, even if it is unneccesary. Does anyone know where i can order the parts? are the numbers said above the right ones? I would rather not have a shop do the work, or parts.

codyep3
05-11-2010, 02:05 PM
bump

slate13530
05-12-2010, 04:26 AM
The link you posted above seems to be correct, but I think you are going to need to have the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in.

Did you diagnose the problem to be the hub bearing?