PDA

View Full Version : question about KYBs & Konis

Jukka
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
My car has a set of KYB GR2s on the front right now, and a set of OEM honda shocks on the rear. I wanna switch up to a set of Koni yellows, but I just had a quick question about the GR2s. Are they rebuildable/do they use the OEM bottom section of the shock?? Would I be able to use the Koni insert in the KYB shock body??

byip17
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
This probably does not relate to your question, but right now tire rack slashed their prices on konis from 195 each to 146 bucks each.

Jukka
05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
thanks, but im gettin em localy for $125CDN a pop.

RedSiBaron
05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
id use oem ones, they were designed to be used with the stock oem housings and you dont know what they did on the kybs

Jukka
05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
problem with that though, the OEM shocks (im 90% sure), I dont have any more. I bought the car with the GR2s on the front, but I might have them in the spring box with my oem springs. I was just curious if the GR2 was a full shock or an insert like the konis.

sugie
05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I just installed GR2s in the front. They're a full strut with its own housing, not an insert.

yalp2yap
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I'll be changing out the struts in my '02 SiR in the next few weeks (giving the A-spec a try). Assuming I'm happy with the A-spec, I can sell you my OEM struts with Eibach Pro-kit springs if you want.

Jukka
05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I just installed GR2s in the front. They're a full strut with its own housing, not an insert.
yea, i called KYB yesterday and they told me the same thing, and they are non-rebuildable...bummer.

I'll be changing out the struts in my '02 SiR in the next few weeks (giving the A-spec a try). Assuming I'm happy with the A-spec, I can sell you my OEM struts with Eibach Pro-kit springs if you want.
its okay, I already have H&R springs and would only need the bottom section of the oem struts from the front. But I'm thinkin im heading to coilovers instead. Also, the supplier i was gonna buy my Koni's from are a direct koni dealer and they said some items are on a 3 month back order from koni directly. So thats not gonna happen either