PDA

View Full Version : Clunk

jjoker13g
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
The front right tire area makes a clunk sound when i turn left. Same noise occurs when i hit a bump or dip. Or just has some pressure to the strut. Iv changed the wheel bearings and cv joint. Could it b the drive shaft? or any opinions.....

slate13530
05-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Do you have an aftermarket suspension?

How are your tie rod ends looking?

RedSiBaron
05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
check those things^^^ but first thing i would check is your sway bar endlinks...if they are loose at all they will clunk really bad, or they are worn out...that or subframe bolts

slate13530
05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Duh I forgot to mention that as well.

Thanks OG

RedSiBaron
05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Duh I forgot to mention that as well.

Thanks OG

haha far from OG, i learned my knowledge from the real OGs and all my endless pulling out of hair when it comes to picking endlinks that dont suck balls...which all the aftermarket ones do IMO, no one has made a good alternative to OEM imo

slate13530
05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
haha far from OG, i learned my knowledge from the real OGs and all my endless pulling out of hair when it comes to picking endlinks that dont suck balls...which all the aftermarket ones do IMO, no one has made a good alternative to OEM imo

Good to know, but I know you've been on the board for a long time. Due to the two crashes my posts count have fallen and I don't post often enough for the post count to go up.

I don't have much experience with endlinks since mine are still OEM and haven't had any problems, but I'm sure soon it will be time for replacement. On another note I do know what you are saying as for replacements because I was reading else where that majority of them aren't great for DD and OEM is best. Maybe Moog ones might be an option even though they aren't adjustable.

RedSiBaron
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Good to know, but I know you've been on the board for a long time. Due to the two crashes my posts count have fallen and I don't post often enough for the post count to go up.

I don't have much experience with endlinks since mine are still OEM and haven't had any problems, but I'm sure soon it will be time for replacement. On another note I do know what you are saying as for replacements because I was reading else where that majority of them aren't great for DD and OEM is best. Maybe Moog ones might be an option even though they aren't adjustable.

well, i dont know if you really need adjustable ones unless your suspension geometry is wack...the issue with the DDing aftermarket links is that none of the ones on the market that are adjustable have sealed joints, at best its a boot with grease packed inside, but they get moisture in them and wear out etc...the best ive found so far are the hotchkis ones, but they are hard to adjust correctly and either the front or rear have an issue where they do not have enough thread adjustment to get the proper length...or atleast at my ride height

if i were you replace the OEM ones and while you are at it get some rubber caps for the ends where you use the allen wrench and put waterproof grease in the cap then put it over the endlink...that way they wont be rusty and corroded when you go to take them off...maybe put water proof grease around the nut as well...it wont be clean, but your links wont corrode and be a bitch to remove

slate13530
05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
well, i dont know if you really need adjustable ones unless your suspension geometry is wack...the issue with the DDing aftermarket links is that none of the ones on the market that are adjustable have sealed joints, at best its a boot with grease packed inside, but they get moisture in them and wear out etc...the best ive found so far are the hotchkis ones, but they are hard to adjust correctly and either the front or rear have an issue where they do not have enough thread adjustment to get the proper length...or atleast at my ride height

if i were you replace the OEM ones and while you are at it get some rubber caps for the ends where you use the allen wrench and put waterproof grease in the cap then put it over the endlink...that way they wont be rusty and corroded when you go to take them off...maybe put water proof grease around the nut as well...it wont be clean, but your links wont corrode and be a bitch to remove

Sounds good!

Thanks for the info

jjoker13g
05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Replaced the sway bar endlinks. But wasnt it :(. im goin to check the bolts next but i jus waiting to get my car back. getting a new paint job ::D

jjoker13g
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
thank you both for your advice. I kno im not a mechanic or have much knowledge but i am willing to learn everything i can.

slate13530
05-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Again what suspension do you have at the moment?

Provide some details of your setup.

jjoker13g
05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
all stock. jus replaced the sway bar links.

slate13530
05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
all stock. jus replaced the sway bar links.

Okay thanks for the clarification. How many miles on those struts?

Since you have replaced the end links and the car is still making the noise.

Try jacking up the car from the front passenger side and rock the wheel top to bottom and side to side. There should be minimal to no play. Your strut or tie rod ends might be shot.

musashi1219
05-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Probably not it but... in 03 there was a problem with incorrect torque spec from the factory on the upper nuts on the front shocks. I had this same clunk after a year or two on the EP.

jjoker13g
05-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Probably not it but... in 03 there was a problem with incorrect torque spec from the factory on the upper nuts on the front shocks. I had this same clunk after a year or two on the EP.

Do you kno wut the right torque its suppose to be at?

Slate13530:

Struts probaly have too many miles on it. I will do as you say and i will get bak with the results. Im heading more towards the tie rod ends tho. Lets hope for the best :D