PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Pro-S coilovers + street use??

Jukka
05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I need to replace my shocks in my car, and was originaly going to replace them with Koni Yellows and keep my H&R springs. But i found out that my front shocks are kyb and the kybs are not rebuildable, so it would mean sourcing out a set of OEM shocks that i can use to put the Koni inserts into, wich will cost me more $. + my supplier for Koni is saying some of their stuff is back ordered for 3+ months.

So now im looking at coil overs, but since I was budgeting for shocks, I dont want to pay that much $ for a set. I called a bunch of shops looking for pricing on BC, Megan, Skunk, etc and most places were quoting me $1200 +. I found I can get a set of Skunk Pro-S coilovers through my work for less than $1000 tax in.

My question though is how good are they for street use?? I drive my car ALOT, almost 100 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week. And some of the roads around my work are pretty pitted/pot holed. So before I order them, I want to see what you guys/owners of them have to say about their street drivability.

Also, Im located in Canada, so shipping stuff cross boarder is gonna kill me. I am exploring methods of bringing it across at the lowest cost to me.

spy8181
05-13-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm in the same boat and this is what i'm ordering
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/PRO-75-1007.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=froogle

slate13530
05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Not to bash any company, but I can personally vouch not to go for the Skunk 2.

My front passenger strut has blown twice and the driver side was replaced once. Their customer service is great and they will replace them as long as they are under warranty.

That's my only gripe about them.

If you want to spend less than $1k then just get Progress.

Jukka
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
once again, problem being me living in Canada. Shipping costs are through the roof on something like coilovers. Also, for basic coilovers like progress or tien basic, $1380 + 13% tax CND localy. Even things like Megan or BC are $1250 + tax.

introvert
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM

My front passenger strut has blown twice and the driver side was replaced once. Their customer service is great and they will replace them as long as they are under warranty.

Out of curiosity ..are you on Pro-S or Pro-C coilovers?

Jukka
05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
skunk only makes pro-s for the ep3.

introvert
05-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Ahh okay. Didnt know that. I've been kind of tempted on the Pro-S's as well.

slate13530
05-14-2010, 06:32 AM
once again, problem being me living in Canada. Shipping costs are through the roof on something like coilovers. Also, for basic coilovers like progress or tien basic, $1380 + 13% tax CND localy. Even things like Megan or BC are $1250 + tax.

yikes!

skunk only makes pro-s for the ep3.

Correct

Ahh okay. Didnt know that. I've been kind of tempted on the Pro-S's as well.

Well since you are in Ca the roads there should be much better than here in NJ. Between the winter weather and roads I'm not sure which one gives more of a beating.

kai-wun
05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Bryan, do consider A-Spec suspension ^_^

Acura A-Spec Suspension Assembly 08W60-S6M-200A
2x END, TIE ROD 53541-S7A-003
2x NUT, HEX. 90301-S5A-003
2x NUT, HEX. (12MM) 94030-12280
2x PIN, SPLIT (3.0X22) 94201-30220

Shoot emails to acura dealerships down stateside to see which will ship up here. It should come out to around $700usd - OEM Honda quality; closest thing to CTR/ITR suspension. And most importantly; wont fck up your suspension geometry like typical aftermarket suspension.

See here for what I mean:

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=569763

dohcep3
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Im also not a fan of junk2 suspension parts for our car chassis (dc5 included). Had heard alot of problems from friends with their shock blowing within a year timeframe.
I personally just bought raceland coilovers LOL just didnt get a chance to put them on yet.
Im really amazed at raceland coilovers... I see so many people "slamming" their ars and surprisingly hear nothing about blown shocks! I was gonna do koni setup but money is tight now so mayb in a few months.

As for you OP, I would go with progress or do koni setup for that amount of money. They are simply best and can be vouch for by many members on here . The A specs doesnt sound bad either and is recommended by alot of people. But if you want to adjust heights or what not, then aspec isnt for you. JMO

RHCP0801
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Im also not a fan of junk2 suspension parts for our car chassis (dc5 included). Had heard alot of problems from friends with their shock blowing within a year timeframe.
I personally just bought raceland coilovers LOL just didnt get a chance to put them on yet.
Im really amazed at raceland coilovers... I see so many people "slamming" their ars and surprisingly hear nothing about blown shocks! I was gonna do koni setup but money is tight now so mayb in a few months.

As for you OP, I would go with progress or do koni setup for that amount of money. They are simply best and can be vouch for by many members on here . JMO

funny how your making fun of skunk2 but you bought $200 racelands

MBaG
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM

many people have them on here, & i haven't read anything bad yet.

RHCP0801
05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
i have read mixed but i still would not spend $200 on coilovers

MBaG
05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
i have read mixed but i still would not spend $200 on coilovers

where'd you read mixed reviews at?

RHCP0801
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
7thgenhonda.com, em2's that use the ep3 racelands

dohcep3
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Honestly, i personally hear way more bad/terrible review on junk2. Not just from members but from personal friends. Lets not get it wrong here, im ONLY talkin about their suspension parts for our car such as their coilover sleeves, and complete coilovers FOR OUR CAR (and the dc5 boys). Thats the only thing i have problems with them. As for raceland coilovers I havent heard anything bad from ephatch members or anyone i know. I bought it because it was a cheap experiment. If you read carefully, i am saving up for konis setup in a few months. In any case, i think my raceland coilovers will have no trouble holding up my car =D

MBaG
05-26-2010, 12:49 AM
7thgenhonda.com, em2's that use the ep3 racelands

uhm.. the cause for their bad reviews should be obvious..

that's like saying i put some progress coilovers made for STI's onto my ep3, and giving a bad review.

RHCP0801
05-26-2010, 09:14 AM
what? no its not...em2 and ep3 suspension are exactly the same, i used the struts off my em2 on my ep3

same as ep3's can use rsx suspension

MBaG
05-26-2010, 12:19 PM
what? no its not...em2 and ep3 suspension are exactly the same, i used the struts off my em2 on my ep3

same as ep3's can use rsx suspension

i don't know much about em2's suspension, but why do they have problems using ep3 racelands, and ep3's aren't having any problems?

RHCP0801
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
its mixed reviews just like any other product out there...some like them and some dont, the main complaints are noise and very very rough ride but that usually happens with anything when you slam it

but yea, i would never get them after being driven in a car with them...thats just me

slate13530
05-27-2010, 04:22 AM
many people have them on here, & i haven't read anything bad yet.

I have a set of them on my car and the passenger strut has broken twice. Currently riding around with a broken strut and I think the driver side rear is gone too.

It was disappointing spending that money and not even a year the front strut was blown.

MBaG
05-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a set of them on my car and the passenger strut has broken twice. Currently riding around with a broken strut and I think the driver side rear is gone too.

It was disappointing spending that money and not even a year the front strut was blown.

how'd they break? i heard charles has had them for more than half a year with no problems.

Jiyakku2
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Where did you buy the coilover kit from? Any Skunk2 product bought from a legitimate Skunk2 Retailer comes with a 1 year warranty. We can most likely warranty the whole kit if needs be as long as there is a copy of the receipt. And in terms of the rears, I have only seen 3 total shocks go out in the 3+ years I have worked at Skunk2.

I of course am biased but I have had my Pro-S Coilovers since June of 2007 with no issues. I do run 6 kg/mm front springs with pillow ball mounts and 10 kg/mm rear springs and no issues thus far even on the horrible SoCal roads.

But if you have any issue, give our Customer Service Department a call and I am sure we can do something to help.

MBaG
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Where did you buy the coilover kit from? Any Skunk2 product bought from a legitimate Skunk2 Retailer comes with a 1 year warranty. We can most likely warranty the whole kit if needs be as long as there is a copy of the receipt. And in terms of the rears, I have only seen 3 total shocks go out in the 3+ years I have worked at Skunk2.

I of course am biased but I have had my Pro-S Coilovers since June of 2007 with no issues. I do run 6 kg/mm front springs with pillow ball mounts and 10 kg/mm rear springs and no issues thus far even on the horrible SoCal roads.

But if you have any issue, give our Customer Service Department a call and I am sure we can do something to help.

wait.. if i am correct, he was refering to raceland coilovers not skunk2. btw, i'm still curious on that rear coiloveR + front sleeve deal; i'm still reading up on suspension, and it looks like the sping rates are good enough for me. but how would the front sleeve react with the rear coilovers? would the fronts be more harsh?

Jiyakku2
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, looks like my bad on that one. If we had a customer out there I just wanted to make sure they were taken care of :mbiggrin: .

But to answer your question on the sleeve/full combo, if the sleeves are going over the stock struts then the rears will be much stiffer in terms of dampening which is not necessarily a bad thing since the stiffer rear will allow the rear end of the car to rotate better.

My personal suggestion would be koni yellows to go with the front sleeves. Koni yellows on the full hard setting should be about where the dampening is for the Pro-S rears but that of course is still pure speculation.

civic sir f1
08-20-2011, 09:11 PM
am looking to get new coilovers due to my megan's having coil bind on the front. making a nasty noise when turning i can't stand the coil bind. do the sknk2's have coil bind too. am not slamed just little low and the dam spring binds i have taken the megan's apart four times and the spring still binds hate driveing like that. hope the skunk2 are better coilover.