PDA

View Full Version : Question about titling. Any state. Post what you know!

o4ep3civ
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Alright. I'm looking for info about transferring a title from NY to NJ.
I recently bought a vehicle in NY.

I paid cash for it the guy had the title and there was a lien on it. He went to the bank the next day and gave them the payoff amount and they in returned gave him a "lien release letter."Stating. They don't have any security interest on it and in their favor the lien should be removed. It's signed and dated and has all the info about the vehicle on the paper.

They didn't stamp "lien release" on the title. Nor did they notarize the Release.

Right now I have the title signed over to me, Bill of sale, and the Lien Release from his bank.

Is that all I need to get it titled into my name?

I've call Trenton three times. I forget what the first person said. The second person said The bank would need to sign the back of the title. ( New york titles are completely different then NJ titles and doesn't have a spot for the bank to sign or anything.) The Third person said that's all I need.

I don't know who to listen to. I don't want to waste a trip to the DMV if I don't have to.

Anyone know anything. Even if it doesn't concern NY or NJ.

usedep3
05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
i'm from NJ and i bought my car from out of state. all i needed to do was bring the title of the car to the dmv. i paid a 7% tax on the car's price and a new title was issued to me.

you have to make sure that the old title is signed off by everyone that's its been issued to. if there was/is a lien, then there should be a different section for them to sign and date.

talonXracer
05-13-2010, 06:49 AM
The banks lien release should be all you need along with the title being signed by the previous owner.

shortstop
05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
yep make sure you got that stamp for the release and your also gonna have to inspect it since its out of state (we do here in nebraska just for vin, no emissions :D)