PDA

View Full Version : wont shift into 3rd gear or 5th helpppp!!

04EP3CTR
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
ok guys well today i started my car in the morning around 7am warmed it up and everything was fine. school until 130 came home chilled. Now heres where the problem started. around 5pm i start my car drive about 30mph. then im about to shift into 3rd gear at around 4k and it woudnt go in, so i drop it into neutral. i come to a red light and again shift to first is good. second is good. then to 3rd its like something is blocking it. so i shift into forth and its also good. then i sped up some more and tried to shift into 5th gear and also same thing it wudnt shift, just like 3rd. idk what the problem could be becuase the other 3 gears work. and also reverse is fine.
anyone have any insite on what the problem to this situation could be?? i would really appreciate it greatly if someone could point me in the right direction. thanks hope to hear from someone soon.

gamma6
05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
my car was acting kinda similar too, a couple of months ago my car, after warming it up, would kinda be hard to shift into reverse. It did this now and then very rarely for a couple of months, i ignored it... Then all of a sudden last week on monday, i go to start my car and try to drive off and it wouldn't let me shift in to nothing, none of the gears. so i tried turning it off and back on and then trying to shift and nothing. I end up turning it off and shift into first and drive away like nothing. Next day it does the same thing, so same deal, i turn the car off and put it in first and drive away, but now this time it wouldn't shift into second. So now to the point, i take it to a shop to get looked at and they say it would be the driven plate (clutch disk) of the clutch system and it was possible that one of the springs might have fallen out. So i avoided driving my ep3 until this past monday, which was when i took my car to get fixed. It ended up being the clutch disk and that a piece of metal holding one of the springs was broken off...

04EP3CTR
05-13-2010, 04:54 PM
damn... so it was just the clutch disk and thats it? or was the pressure plate, release bearing, or shift fork affected by this aswell? ...also now i just got back from driving it and the car sounds different as the rpms go up. doesnt sound bad but i know its sounding like that for a reason.

thanks for replying ..i really hope i can get this problem solved asap. its my daily driver

talonXracer
05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Open the hood and make sure the shifter arms and that shifter weight is not hung up on something.

gamma6
05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
damn... so it was just the clutch disk and thats it? or was the pressure plate, release bearing, or shift fork affected by this aswell? ...also now i just got back from driving it and the car sounds different as the rpms go up. doesnt sound bad but i know its sounding like that for a reason.

thanks for replying ..i really hope i can get this problem solved asap. its my daily driver

well when i went to go pick my baby up, he told me everything else was solid. That was the only problem (clutch disk). He replaced the whole clutch kit and resurface the flywheel. i tried uploading a pick with it highlighted but it was too big... One thing tho- if it doesnt shift, it wont shift... Dont put too much force to make it go in... you could break the shifting cables and those are kinda pricey... thats what he told me

04EP3CTR
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
yea i checked if something was maybe interfering but nothing was. i even took out the shift knob and boot piece to check if maybe something was in the way (cables or something). i didnt see anything noticeable and also yea im not gona force it. im just gona shift 1st 2nd then 4th. im not gona force 3rd or 5th until i go check it checked out well thnks guys for the input i appreciate it so much.

Twisted-X
05-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I agree with Talon. I had this problem with those same exact gears when I did my intake install years ago. Turned out I bumped the ground wire enough to make it interfere with the shift arm on the top of the trans. I would recommend having someone try to shift through the gears while you watch the shifter arm (flashlight?) to see if its hitting anything. Its free and easy to do.

04EP3CTR
05-15-2010, 07:35 AM
hey guys well i just wanted to let u guys know that my problems gone. i was driving home yesterday afternoon and came to a red light and my idle was reving by itself from 1k-3k. i was like wtf. so i pulled over..popped the hood and saw that my cai pipe was comppletely detached from the rubber elbow and noticed that it was laying right infront of the shifter arms . i reattached the pipe and clamped it real tight. went to shift and all my gears worked beautifully. i was so happy its running back to normal again. jus wanted to thank you guys for the help n stuff. hopefully i dont encounter any problems any time soon again :)