PDA

View Full Version : how to install jdm rear rebar

ts ep3
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
i went to install and ran in to a problem. holes dont line up, so do i just need drill holes to line it up or what. :mcry:

RedSiBaron
05-15-2010, 10:33 AM
no offense but you should have researched this before you bought the jdm rear rebar. for whatever reason (im thinking safety) they put different mounts on the usdm car for the rear rebar...you can either modify your stock rebar or jdm rebar...it usually requires welding and drilling...or another option is to buy a pre modded one from SSR

ts ep3
05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
my bumper came with the jdm rebar. thanks

RedSiBaron
05-15-2010, 12:30 PM
damn, well lucky you, sorry about my previous statement...my advice then would be hold it up and see what you are looking at to mount it...and decide if you can just drill and bolt or cut and weld then drill and bolt

ts ep3
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
i think im just going to try to drill holes but untill then im rebarless. hope i dont get hit!!:rip::rip:

usedep3
05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
even if you drill new holes, the jdm rear rebar is too long. its about 1-1.5" too long. you will have to cut it shorter, weld a new plate and drill new holes. use some oversized/fender washers to help distribute the load better.

good luck. i just ended up buying a modded oem usdm rear rebar from SSR.

RedSiBaron
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
even if you drill new holes, the jdm rear rebar is too long. its about 1-1.5" too long. you will have to cut it shorter, weld a new plate and drill new holes. use some oversized/fender washers to help distribute the load better.

good luck. i just ended up buying a modded oem usdm rear rebar from SSR.

why would the jdm rear rebar be too long?? its supposed to fit under the JDM bumper...or is it because the mounts put the rebar further out away from the car?

usedep3
05-15-2010, 01:32 PM
i dont know for sure bc i havent seen a real deal jdm/ukdm ep3 in person, but my guess is the frame rails or the bracket the the rear rebars mount to is different. either the rail is longer, or the bracket is welded further back than the ukdm counterpart.

i bought a ukdm rear rebar from the uk boards. i got it for a steal and was excited. that feeling quickly went away when i saw it doesnt bolt up. the holes are not in the proper locations. easy fix, you can drill new ones and use oversized/fender washers. with the new holes, i mounted the rebar. tried to reinstall the rear ctr bumper. another disappointment.. the bumper wouldn't go on bc the rebar sits about 1 inch too far. i only say 1.5 inches bc there should be some extra room between the rebar and the bumper cover for just the space and/or the sytrofoam cushion. but like i said, my ctr rear bumper would not go on with my uncut ukdm rebar.

just curious, what kind of rebar are you running? jdm? modded usdm? or nothing?

Guardian
05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
why would the jdm rear rebar be too long?? its supposed to fit under the JDM bumper...or is it because the mounts put the rebar further out away from the car?

I belive that's why. I made a custom rear rebar.

RedSiBaron
05-15-2010, 03:03 PM
i dont know for sure bc i havent seen a real deal jdm/ukdm ep3 in person, but my guess is the frame rails or the bracket the the rear rebars mount to is different. either the rail is longer, or the bracket is welded further back than the ukdm counterpart.

i bought a ukdm rear rebar from the uk boards. i got it for a steal and was excited. that feeling quickly went away when i saw it doesnt bolt up. the holes are not in the proper locations. easy fix, you can drill new ones and use oversized/fender washers. with the new holes, i mounted the rebar. tried to reinstall the rear ctr bumper. another disappointment.. the bumper wouldn't go on bc the rebar sits about 1 inch too far. i only say 1.5 inches bc there should be some extra room between the rebar and the bumper cover for just the space and/or the sytrofoam cushion. but like i said, my ctr rear bumper would not go on with my uncut ukdm rebar.

just curious, what kind of rebar are you running? jdm? modded usdm? or nothing?

im running modded usdm, but the quality of the ssr piece is pathetic and the mounts have rusted out due to extremely cheap metal used by his fabricator 2 years ago...i made him aware of this and i am sure he has changed it by now...im going to re do it and modify my old USDM rebar and pitch the ssr modded one in the trash