PDA

View Full Version : comptech s/c

flipflopz
05-16-2010, 01:25 AM
does anyone have the comptech s/c? i was told by a shop that they can get one for me. i thought BS because i thought they were discontinued. just want to know what everyone else thinks because i know you guys are more help than any other forum. thanks in advance :mcool:

shortstop
05-16-2010, 11:03 AM
my buddy is on tsxclub and says a lot of them like it

johnkimble
05-16-2010, 12:02 PM
comptech is definitely quality. if they can get you one for less or the same price of a jrsc go for it

flipflopz
05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
i was quoted same price for a RSX-s. i live in CA and they said its street legal and will give me sticker to prove it. its alot more than the jrsc street but is quality worth the extra money?

johnkimble
05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
quality is good, but you have to remember the company is out of business so any problems you have related to the manufacturing process you are probably SOL.

if it were me, since it's more than the JRSC, i'd go with the Jackson version since 1) the company still exists and can make things right if needed 2) it's cheaper

hope that helps

beechstreet
05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
isn't there a problem with the comptech unit fitting in the ep? something about having to mod the radiator support for it to fit? i'm not 100% sure though so dont quote me on that.

chiwhitesi
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
i though that comptech uses the same charger as JR. so the extra $ is pointless

T_Virus
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
isn't there a problem with the comptech unit fitting in the ep? something about having to mod the radiator support for it to fit? i'm not 100% sure though so dont quote me on that.

yeah, it doesn't fit...you have to customize it...So far, I don't know anyone with a EP3 that has a comptech S/C...The only ones I know are DC5s and it puts out way better numbers that the JRSC...Kris, remember Edwin's blue DC5 at Dyno Day at Weapon R some years ago?

Andrew
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
i remember when i asked this question about using a comptech charger over a jacksonRacing one. i got flamed so bad and my thread was closed :( good luck to the op if you do get it. i wouldn't go that route when there's a pleathera of information on how to get the best bang for your buck with the JRSC product

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
05-17-2010, 03:01 PM
yeah, it doesn't fit...you have to customize it...So far, I don't know anyone with a EP3 that has a comptech S/C...The only ones I know are DC5s and it puts out way better numbers that the JRSC...Kris, remember Edwin's blue DC5 at Dyno Day at Weapon R some years ago?

I remember his car at Blacktrax i was there when he was getting tuned. I know Blacktrax's dyno read really low he put i think 299 to the wheels but i dont remmeber the tq

PAPITUYO326
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
The Comptech unit fits, but requires trimming of the headlight support unless you run a 3.2 or smaller pulley.

I have an extra Ep3 JRSC Street kit. Complete with power card. LMK if you are interested.

beechstreet
05-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Kris, remember Edwin's blue DC5 at Dyno Day at Weapon R some years ago?
hell yeah that car was a beast!

whatisthis
05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
i though that comptech uses the same charger as JR. so the extra $ is pointless

it's not the same charger. it's the same displacement but that's about it. comptech's choice of charger is more efficient than jr's. jackson uses an eaton m62, where comptech uses the magnuson mp62 it's a hotrodded version of the eaton blower.

PAPITUYO326
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Jackson also "hotrodded" the blower on his kit. He dubs it the JR62. IMO their performance is almost identical. You get a much more pronounced difference when you start changing the inlet manifolds vs. the blowers themselves.

flipflopz
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
if ca didnt have all these laws.. i would have had a motor swap by now..

beechstreet
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
if ca didnt have all these laws.. i would have had a motor swap by now..
you can swap a k20a2 and k20a without problems from "the law"

flipflopz
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
i got an 05.. really weak sauce they are cracking down on it..

JIYAKKU
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
it's not the same charger. it's the same displacement but that's about it. comptech's choice of charger is more efficient than jr's. jackson uses an eaton m62, where comptech uses the magnuson mp62 it's a hotrodded version of the eaton blower.

It is a magnuson housing with Eaton internals. I spoke with Oscar Jackson a couple years back and when I even mentioned "Comptech" both him and the other Engineer I was talking too just went "Pfffffffff, those guys" and gave me their story on the whole ordeal. Apparently at the time the guys running Comptech took the geometry from the JRSC kit and changed the clocking of the supercharger. Next thing you know Oscar Jackson sees basically his kit with a different name on it at the next Sema show. In essence, same shit but with a different name and price tag. Unfortunately it happens more often than not in this industry (Ie.: Blox, Rota, etc).