PDA

View Full Version : 06+ Civic/accord/fit/crv Key

Kaiten
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone, I could use your help.

I have an 03 (with the weird looking cut keys that the newer hondas have) and I only have one key and thought I should get another just in case. While I'm at it I figured I'd get something better than our stock key if it works.

Does the 06+ civic/accord/crv/fit key work for our cars? Can they be cut and programmed to fit? I realize there's a thread on the flip out key which is nice but I just want an easy key to cut and program that has the buttons on the key itself.

Thanks!

socmex7
05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
according to my local honda dealer they cannot be programed with our stock ecu. i wanted to do this as well after seeing my sisters FA5 key. the guy told me that our ecu was not compatible with the frequencies they emit. he could have been just lazy so bump as well for more input!

Kaiten
05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the bump; yeah I was told it wouldn't work too but it did seem more like laziness. I feel like it's got to be possible since those ridgeline flip out keys seem to work, it's just easier for them to tell us to get the same key. Maybe?

usedep3
05-16-2010, 07:41 PM
its the immobilizer/transponder is what you have to worry about.

a key blank is a key blank. and there are a couple of key-less remotes that are compatible. i wanna say that its an accord key and a TL flip key that's compatible. it has mostly to do with the FCC ID

socmex7
05-16-2010, 10:58 PM
the ridgeline key doesn't work with our cars, you have to "transplant" the chip into it. and my understanding was that the keys themselves are blank ut the chip inside them are not compatible.. that's just what they told me :shrug:

56chevydan
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm using a modified Ridgeline key on my '03.

The dealer sold me the Ridgeline key and copied the cut from the original key to the new key for me. I then cut the original stock key open and transplanted the chip from it into the Ridgeline key. Since I did the modification in 2008, the key has worked flawlessly.

The part number for the Ridgeline key I used is 35111-SHJ-305. My cost for the key in 2008 was $30.00 at the local Honda dealership. The dealer also cut the key for free for me because I know them pretty well down there.

I think there used to be a DIY for the modified Ridgeline key on this forum.

eccramer
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I've been thinking about getting a spare key for my car, but I don't really want to get another one where the key is separate from the remote. Before the crash I remember someone posting that the 2003 accord key/remote could be programmed for our cars, but since all that was lost in the crash I have no way to be sure.

Looks like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v18GyzZ3WcA/SwHETJHPV1I/AAAAAAAAAGk/xwZGif_gJ28/S1600-R/2003+HONDA+ACCORD.jpg

maestro
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
its the immobilizer/transponder is what you have to worry about.

a key blank is a key blank. and there are a couple of key-less remotes that are compatible. i wanna say that its an accord key and a TL flip key that's compatible. it has mostly to do with the FCC ID

This man speaks the truth. It is all about the immobilizer chip in the key that is/is not compatible. The TL key is a "compatible" remote; but not the immobilizer chip.