PDA

View Full Version : Oil weight in the Summer

Silvercard
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I was wondering ep owners in hot weather what weight of oil you guys use? Im in phoenix and its blazing hot! I have been changing the oil with rp 10w-30 ever since i got it and was wondering if going to 5w-30 or 20 will burn quicker because of the heat? What is recommended for the 100+ summer heat? Any pro or con going to a lower weight?

Thanks

kenscivic
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I think this is the only thing me and turbotalon agree. Don't drop down to 5-20.

Mighty_Mouse
05-19-2010, 01:52 AM
I was wondering ep owners in hot weather what weight of oil you guys use? Im in phoenix and its blazing hot! I have been changing the oil with rp 10w-30 ever since i got it and was wondering if going to 5w-30 or 20 will burn quicker because of the heat? What is recommended for the 100+ summer heat? Any pro or con going to a lower weight?

Thanks

You'll get better startup protection with a lower weight and more HP, but that's it. I would run GC in Phoenix. Flows much better than the junk RP that you're using now when cold and protects better when warm.

oneglory
05-19-2010, 04:49 AM
5-20 =

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/oneglory/car%20stuff/IMGP3867.jpg

Silvercard
05-19-2010, 05:02 AM
You'll get better startup protection with a lower weight and more HP, but that's it. I would run GC in Phoenix. Flows much better than the junk RP that you're using now when cold and protects better when warm.
Word. GC oil(Dont know the name lol) but will look into it cause this rp has been holding up for the past 2 years... thanks

Silvercard
05-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Word. GC oil(Dont know the name lol) but will look into it cause this rp has been holding up for the past 2 years... thanks

Mechanic
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
GC=German Castrol. As the name indicates, it is imported from Germany by Castrol USA. You can read about it to your heart's content at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643#Post718643

Deadphishy
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I run Eneos 5w40 in the summer in my beast. 0w-50 if i'm feeling frisky, Amsoil Euro 5w40 if i can find enough. When it's to cold to rage on it, the car gets Rotela T.

I'm thinking about going to High Zinc Amsoil 5w40, but i can't find enough of it. I get the Eneos pretty cheap, and i really like it.

5w30 on a stock motor is perfect. You could even do a 0w30 or a 5w40. you will be fine with all of the above.

Oil weight isn't going to be a major factor when it comes to start up in Arizona. The Motor/Oil will be plenty hot before the motor is even started, so it will flow right away. Your main Concern with the Dry start up, is going to be Film. Some Oils have better Film retention then others.

relativelyprime
06-16-2010, 09:37 AM
5-20 =

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/oneglory/car%20stuff/IMGP3867.jpg

Is that my car's camshaft in that picture (joking! Well, kind of joking...)? My new camshaft should be in by tomorrow afternoon. So my question, and it seems a few of you have answered it, is what weight oil to put in? In the summer it can range from 55 F to 100 F and in the winter it can range from -40 F to +40 F. I was running Mobil Synthetic 5W-20 since I bought the car with 30K miles and figured in the winter that still might not be a bad idea. But I'm thinking I might run 5W-30 synthetic spring, summer, and fall. However, it seems to me how well the oil adheres to moving parts is just as important as its viscosity. And, after reading Mobil's FAQ's, it seems if you need more "oil film thickness" 5W-30 may be the way to go...any other input on this issue or should I just man up and run the 5W-30? :-D I just don't want to replace another camshaft...

Silvercard
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey members, recently pep boys stopped selling the 5 quarts of rp with rp filter deal. Which oil should do you guys recommend I should switch too?

Thanks

Distance
09-02-2010, 05:06 PM

would you recomend this for a supercharge motor? im living in so cal and the temp is uaully from 70-90 currently. also the oil im currently using is 5w-40 castrol syntec

Distance
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
ttt for an answer.

Silvercard
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Castrol Syntec (Made in the US) a good option to switch too?