PDA

View Full Version : neuspeed & sound

civic hatch boi
12-04-2002, 08:24 PM
for those who are running the race springs... when you go over bumps and stuff.. is ur rear noisy? mine clunks and clanks, actually more like creaks.. like walking on an old wooden floor... i hope it's normal... docofmind said it should be quiet.. but i just wanna double check... how loud/quiet are ur rides? oh yeah.. esp when im downhill.. it makes alot of noise.

ep3guy
12-04-2002, 08:55 PM
i have some sounds from the front sometimes when im turning the wheel at a standstill or when im going slowly ie. parking. and my rear makes noises over bumps

civic hatch boi
12-04-2002, 09:03 PM
could it be the springs itself? like i need grease? i wonder if that'll shut them up :)

2fastcivic
12-04-2002, 09:16 PM
my race springs dont make any noises in the rear but the front makes noises when i turn the wheel but its not the springs for sure. its b/c of the drop.

civic hatch boi
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
damn!!! wut could be the problem with mine then! it's fine on flat smooth surfaces.. but over anything less perfect than that.. it makes noises.. :( im sad now

i remember someone saying their race were 99% quiet :(.. darn mine! is there anything in the rear me/gary/gary's gf should have done specifically when installing the springs? wut are bumpstops? would that make it sound?

also... the rear springs go on upside down rite? i sure hope so.

MUSASHI
12-04-2002, 10:19 PM
IMPORT RACER , December 2002 , page 22 , Complete Honda Civic Si build-up

quote ".......Because the whole front suspension turns in this car , setting the springs correctly is the key (they`re marked with arrows to help) unless you like hearing a loud "Cack, cakc, cack". Atleast that`s what Ben says it sounds...."

End quote

PS. He is talking about Gold Line springs , I dont know If your springs have the same arrows that he`s mentioning.

Hope this helps you :)

civic hatch boi
12-04-2002, 10:37 PM
how can i check if they're set correctly?
the whole front suspension? does this include rear springs?

MUSASHI
12-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Sorry :(, can`t help you there , I`m still new in this game , but from I can see on the pictures , removing the springs and puttin `em back on is a bitch if you don`t have all the tools and the lift .

IceD out N CALI
12-05-2002, 01:53 AM
no noises here, maybe they're set incorrectly or somethin. if u can, take it in to a shop see if maybe they'll help ya out

civic hatch boi
12-05-2002, 02:03 AM
i wonder wut it could be... everyone who installed them themselves has sound.. and the people who took them into a shop has no sound. hahaha.

Silvershadow
12-10-2002, 03:42 AM
Reread d instructions.I remember a certain company said d spring needs 2 b put in w/d company name RIGHT SIDE UP not upside down.The seating part was also important too. ---Silvershadow---

Suk02Si
12-10-2002, 05:04 AM
the rear neuspeed springs taper at one end like this \ /

When I installed mine I checked to see if they could go in both ways but they can't they wont even sit right, its very noticable.

CleanBlackSi02
12-10-2002, 08:49 AM
Clacking noises are common with race springs... Did you notice all of the inactive coils that were just resting against each other? It's those coils hitting into each other over bumps. I may decide to ditch my race springs eventually and get the progress drop if I decide to go sleeper...Tein's if I get wheels... The clacking isn't nearly as bas as my Prelude was on race springs...it was obnoxious!

civic hatch boi
12-10-2002, 01:31 PM
my friend's em1 sits on race .. low with no sounds... u thnk grease would help it alot?

IceD out N CALI
12-10-2002, 04:38 PM
hey "bewbie" i know its a pain but take it in to a local import car shop. they might be able to take care of it for like 20bucks :)

civic hatch boi
12-10-2002, 08:24 PM
hmm... 20 bucks. that's alot!! haha i might jsut wait to get shocks, then fix it at a shop.

sammysir
12-13-2002, 11:04 PM
man i wish people would search the posts in here and find info on products before they buy em. I think i was the first person on EP hatch with the races spring (i might be wrong, maybe 2nd or 3rd) anyways they look great!!. BUT ride like ASS. The noise is so unbearable sounds like you breaking something everytime you turn. low low quality srpings from neuspeed.... and yes they have inactive coils which ALL spings have except coilovers usually. I bought the race's for the same reason the drop.... then threw them out and got the sportlines. Boy are the eibachs better quality or what..... first they package full bump stops... so you don't have to cut yours..... perfect fit. 2.... they actually have a spcieal see through urethane tubing wrapped around the spring coils. which makes them just as quite as oem.... 3 they have properly wounded springs for out setups... if any of u guys have looked at the strut hats on our car there on on a 45 degree angle almost / not flush horizontolly...... so for proper fitmet you have to have your final coil angled.... eibach has it..... races don't which is why you hear the clunking in the front...... when you almost do wheel to wheel turns... the spring is actually hoping in the perch. sell ther race's while you can and opt for sportlines or progress imo

cheers

civic hatch boi
12-14-2002, 01:44 AM
uhhh. when did u get ur race? do u remember the part#? my fronts make NO noise at all, the ride is PERFECT. wut are you talking about ass?? are u sure u even got the ones made for our car.. they only came out last month. also.. there are members that have little/no sound. that is why i am concerned. i did search by the way.

civic hatch boi
12-14-2002, 01:53 AM
uh i just searched. and u didn't even have the correct race springs for your car man. no wonder urs were so bad. i got the race made for our cars. the ride is PERFECT, drop is PERFECT .. the only problem is MINOr noise in the rear which isn't bad. im just gonna wait til i get shocks to fix it. i think some grease shoudl do the trick tho.

02SilverSiHB
12-14-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
my friend's em1 sits on race .. low with no sounds... u thnk grease would help it alot?

I don't have the time right now....at work...but there is a site that sells some stuff that you can put around your coils to prevent the clacking sound from the coils hitting each other. The reason this happens to us, is because the aftermarket springs are shorter than the stock ones. When we put them on, it seems that they don't fit as tight as the stock ones. I had some minor clank once and a while with my progress. I also ran into a really bad knock sound when turning real slowly or just turning the wheel at a stand still. As for the clanking....I used what progress had given me....I should have installed them in the beginning...they were some type of plastic that went around one set of the coils, to prevent contact. It helped a little, but once in a great while I'd still get the clank.

As for the knock....it's beyond me. I can't figure out what the deal is, but I messed with the springs while the car was jacked up. Everything is cool now. I'm going to get a Helms manual eventually and do a reinstall and take pics to see what the exact way is for the install. I know there are marks on the struts for aligning the spring/shocks back together, but I have like four damn marks on each shock, so it gets confusing.

Later

civic hatch boi
12-14-2002, 11:22 AM
well, the stock springs come with one coil wrapper rite?? i put that on the neuspeed springs.. but it still makes sound i need another wrapper or two? or should one be enough.

02SilverSiHB
12-15-2002, 04:15 AM
well, the stock springs come with one coil wrapper rite?? i put that on the neuspeed springs.. but it still makes sound i need another wrapper or two? or should one be enough.
it seems to me that one isn't really enough. It also depends on which coil you put it on. I put mine on the second from the top coil, they were the closest to each other.

civic hatch boi
12-15-2002, 04:21 AM
hmm. yeah i talked to this guy and he said put it on the top too?? i would think to put it on the bottom since they are the dead coils that touch? can i buy the silicon tubing from like autozone?? would that work? i found a place online that sells spring silencer, but it's ugly hahaha.

imma go to autozone andb uy some silicone tubing....
i have the wrap on the 2nd from the bottom rite now...
should i keep it there and just add another one from 2nd to top? u think that would be enough or add 1 more and make it 3?

civic hatch boi
12-23-2002, 08:27 PM
i took apart my strut... look at the springs.. only the bottom 4 were touching... the top were all fine.. maybe cuz race springs are put on upside down... so i put the spring wrap but STILL SOUNDS!!!!!!! it's SOOOO ANOYING!!! clunky clunky! ahHH anyone know the solution???

SpeedRacer
12-25-2002, 02:44 PM
i have these springs and i love them. First i had H&R's and yes they were quiet and gave me a smooth ride. The neu speed are noisy and maybe not as smooth because they are stiffer but let me tell you my car handles 100% better then when i had the H & R's sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of comfort for performance. When i got my neuspeed it came with a document that even says they are going to make noise so you shouldn't be worried about it. If you want a quite spring get the eibach or H@R's but if your more interisted in being able to turn keep your neuspeed.

02SilverSiHB
12-28-2002, 10:40 AM
hmm. yeah i talked to this guy and he said put it on the top too?? i would think to put it on the bottom since they are the dead coils that touch? can i buy the silicon tubing from like autozone?? would that work? i found a place online that sells spring silencer, but it's ugly hahaha.

imma go to autozone andb uy some silicone tubing....
i have the wrap on the 2nd from the bottom rite now...
should i keep it there and just add another one from 2nd to top? u think that would be enough or add 1 more and make it 3? just to make sure your springs aren't upside down....on the top of the spring...are the coils closer together than the coils are on the bottom? If not then I think you may have them upside down

civic hatch boi
12-28-2002, 01:31 PM
yeah.. the top ones are closer together.. haha its impossible to put them in upside down cuz they dont fit that way..