PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with DC Headers

Suk02Si
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pc271232d678b0bced61764bdc03b5818/fcf83868.jpg

After a night of canyon racing I noticed a really bad rattling sound coming from under the car. I took my mid-pipe off and put the stock piece back on thinking it was that. I took a look around under there and tapped a couple parts and shook things around a bit. Turns out the sound was coming from the headers. I pulled the headers off and noticed that the welds that hold splitter inside had come apart; the welds suck. I called DC and they sent out another one right away. I got it today and looked at it closely. See the weld that I circled in yellow? That wasn't welded on my old header. It seems like DC realized they messed up on the first batch of headers and started welding the bottom and sides of the splitter. Before, they only welded the bottom of it. Just as a heads up, maybe anybody that ordered their headers when they first came out should check this out. I thought I just had bad luck, but SpeedRacer is hearing the same sound but is too lazy too pull his headers off.

I'm glad I took my mid-pipe off b/c I looked at it closer and noticed the flanges weren't welded on correctly. There's a small gap and it leaks. As of now I'm almost completly stock, all I have is a CAI. I think I might just sell the headers and leave the stock one on.

civic hatch boi
12-04-2002, 09:22 PM
just sell me ur dc's for $50 ;)

poppasp1ce
12-04-2002, 09:45 PM
there was a guy on another board that had the exact samething happen with his dc header. he posted a video showing how the baffle had come loose (same as you). hopefully they've worked out of the bugs, that must have been scary.

02blksi
12-04-2002, 09:45 PM
I heard on clubrsx message board.

"Dc sports has delayed the production of the SS version of their RSX header due to a manufacturing defect/flaw in the ceramic ones. Once things are taken care of and they release production of the SS header they will offer replacement (ss) to those who want it, for all the trouble."

Dont know if its true but if i had a dc sports header id call and ask you know!. --glad they fixed it for you though.--joe.

BTW : did you have to send back your old header? if not ill buy it from you!! let me know -

Suk02Si
12-04-2002, 09:55 PM
I had to send the old one back in the package the new one came in. They even picked up the tab for shipping; pretty cool. The pic is of the new header with the new weld. The old header didn't have it which is what made it so weak.

ssvr6
12-05-2002, 06:36 AM
That was here as well. (myeverlovinsir)

Steve

kenis138
12-05-2002, 07:04 AM
Spledid. Cant wait to deal with that. So its a rattling sound I should keep an ear out for. Pretty loud, distinctive?

Suk02Si
12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
It's not too loud; I only heard it while accelerating. While cruising I would only hear it every now and then.

myeverlovinsir
12-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Kind of Ironic, I was the first to run this header, and
I posted it as "Another DC Header Install" lol.
little did I know only 3 wks later that I would infact be doing
another DC header install.

Link to what happed --->
DC problem and Vid (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4273&highlight=header)

Unfortunately I was part of the test bed, shame on DC.
I made the same mods that DC did myself. I guess it is only a
matter of time before each one fails from the origional batch.

BTW: I got mine out just in time, SpeedRacer better
get this resolved (if he hasn't already) or he will find the baffle plate lodged somewhere downstream in his cat.
I have also entertained the thought of removing it, and running
4-1, think this would also be a good setup. (you may loose some
bottom end, but I think not)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p5526d33299c370f6630b2a5ff7aa0513/fcf73907.jpg

kenis138
12-09-2002, 07:00 AM
Anyone have any idea of when the defective run ended? I got my header only a few weeks back. Hopefully, it was after defect was corrected? Comments?