PDA

View Full Version : Questions about brake pads for my 2004 ep3

squonk
05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone, I have a brake question about my 2004 EP3. I currently have 72,000 miles on it. At 61,000, the dealer put on new front pads. Now I'm due for rear pads. I really want to upgrade my brakes and I was thinking about going with better pads.

Specifically, I'm thinking of going with Akebono Street Performance Pads (cermics) and keeping the stock rotors. I want something with better bite and not much more dust than the factory
pads.

I suspect I will only gain very little by doing the rear pads only. Right? I didn't have time to research pads back when the fronts needed to be replaced. Part of me thinks I should just replace them all right now.

Is it worth upgrading the pads and not the rotors? My car is 100% daily driver - I'm not expecting a massive improvement, but something better than stock would be nice. I do drive spiritedly and current have Yokohama S Drives on my summer wheels (215/45/17).

I live in Atlanta, so I suspect that there should be no issues with the cermic pads in our occasional 20 degree weather in the winter.

Thank you very much.

Lucid Moments
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
The front brakes do the vast majority of the braking. So upgrading the rear pads only will do very little. Honestly if you are going to upgrade the pads just go ahead and do them all at the same time.

As long as the stock rotors are within normal wear limits keep them. Upgraded rotors are a ripoff. There is very little (if anything) to be gained by upgrading rotors.

socmex7
05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
but you gain like 15whp with drilled rotors!!! :mangel:.. but yea, upgrading the rear pads will have little to no effect.. just get the same as you put in the front. just a disclaimer, when i upgraded the pads i got a lot more brake dust..

squonk
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Thank Lucid!

squonk
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
but you gain like 15whp with drilled rotors!!! :mangel:.. but yea, upgrading the rear pads will have little to no effect.. just get the same as you put in the front. just a disclaimer, when i upgraded the pads i got a lot more brake dust..

What pads did you go with? I'm OK with a certain amount of additional brake dust, but I don't want it to be too bad. I also have a VBP 2004 with the HFP wheels. Are those the wheels on yours as well? Thank you!