PDA

View Full Version : Exedy Stage 1 Organic Problems - Thoughts?

BeaterEP
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
So, here's the deal. OEM clutch had just about had it about a year ago, so figured I'd go with an "upgrade", and one of the vendors was running a special, so I picked up an Exedy stage 1 organic clutch w/an ACT streetlite fly (11 lbs).

Install went fine, break in was smooth.

Almost exactly 30k miles and 1.5 years later, feels like the clutch is ready to explode all of a sudden.
Lots of trouble getting in and out of gear, occasional lurch at start-up (pedal depressed, in 1st gear), just all around feels like the clutch isn't doing its job when the pedal is down. In addition, started thinking while driving earlier today that it might be slipping a little.
Now, maybe that's normal for an aftermarket clutch, but my OEM ran until just under 160k miles with 0 problems, so this seems a bit soon for me. :shrug:

I don't want to take it in to get looked at until I have a better idea of what's going on, and I know the Exedy's had kind of a rep in the past, but I figured that for the price, and with nothing more than basic bolt-ons, it should hold up fine. Was I wrong?

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts, or any experience w/the Exedy units, good or bad.

PS:
Driving - I don't track this car in any way, she's strictly a DD. I'll take the occasional cruise through the local hill country, but I am not one to abuse my car. When I installed the new clutch, it was with the expectation that I would get another 100k+ miles of trouble-free use out of her.
I am a spirited driver, but again, not abusive. I need this car to last! :mbiggrin:

HondaFreak
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
I've got more track time on my Exedy stage 1 than I have street time and it's been flawless. I wouldn't imagine it's all about that clutch. Those ACT flywheels are not the best IMO. The flywheel has a major impact on your clutch disc. That being said, if your flywheel is warping or warped, even the bestest most expensive clutch won't survive long. Here's where I throw in my OEM plug. The ITR flywheel is 9 lbs and in my meaningless opinion the best bang for the buck.
As for what's wrong, it's anyones guess. If you know your tranny fluid is up to level, then your guess is prolly right that the clutch has gone. The question is WHY. Could be a throw out bearing or pilot bearing. Doesn't mean the clutch or the flywheel is crap.

Christian

civsirmt
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
doesn't exedy make the clutch's for honda?

kenscivic
05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I've got more track time on my Exedy stage 1 than I have street time and it's been flawless. I wouldn't imagine it's all about that clutch. Those ACT flywheels are not the best IMO. The flywheel has a major impact on your clutch disc. That being said, if your flywheel is warping or warped, even the bestest most expensive clutch won't survive long. Here's where I throw in my OEM plug. The ITR flywheel is 9 lbs and in my meaningless opinion the best bang for the buck.
As for what's wrong, it's anyones guess. If you know your tranny fluid is up to level, then your guess is prolly right that the clutch has gone. The question is WHY. Could be a throw out bearing or pilot bearing. Doesn't mean the clutch or the flywheel is crap.

Christian

What he said, in recent years act has dropped off the ball with quality control.

BeaterEP
05-19-2010, 05:45 AM
iiiiinteresting. So, that's another potential culprit. Crap, wish I'd known that going in LOL!
Oh, and I'm not trying to bash on the Exedy, but like I said I know there were some issues a few years back, so figured if anyone had experience with those problems it would be good to hear from em. I just wanna know what I might be getting in to before I take her in. Wasn't planning for a new clutch/fly so soon! :mcry:

PS
So, if it is the flywheel, as to the ITR fly recommendation, anyone else have any thoughts? Part of the reason I went with the one I've got now was the weight issue. It was my understanding that going too light on a DD might be a problem, so I stuck with the 10+ flys. Is the 9lb ITR really an issue for driveability?
Also, anyone got a part number for that bad boy?

kenscivic
05-19-2010, 06:03 AM
iiiiinteresting. So, that's another potential culprit. Crap, wish I'd known that going in LOL!
Oh, and I'm not trying to bash on the Exedy, but like I said I know there were some issues a few years back, so figured if anyone had experience with those problems it would be good to hear from em. I just wanna know what I might be getting in to before I take her in. Wasn't planning for a new clutch/fly so soon! :mcry:

PS
So, if it is the flywheel, as to the ITR fly recommendation, anyone else have any thoughts? Part of the reason I went with the one I've got now was the weight issue. It was my understanding that going too light on a DD might be a problem, so I stuck with the 10+ flys. Is the 9lb ITR really an issue for driveability?
Also, anyone got a part number for that bad boy?

I do not have a part number but I will say for a dd why not just rock the type s flywheel... Same weight as the ep3 flywheel..

Bottom line is = Oem quality > aftermarket 90% of the time.

BeaterEP
05-19-2010, 06:16 AM
I do not have a part number but I will say for a dd why not just rock the type s flywheel... Same weight as the ep3 flywheel..

Bottom line is = Oem quality > aftermarket 90% of the time.

Troof. I did enjoy the slightly quicker revs with the slightly lighter fly, though. :mcool:

At this point, I'm looking at going back to OEM for the clutch/PP, and shopping around for a lighter-than-OEM fly (assuming the ACT is toasted).

BeaterEP
05-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Another question just came to mind; will the ITR flywheel drop in w/an OEM clutch? Or do I need something different in order to run the ITR fly?

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
doesn't exedy make the clutch's for honda?

yep the exedy stage 1 is the oem clutch for k-series

T_Virus
05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

I thought it was Exedy OEM clutch that is our K-Series OEM clutch, not Exedy Stage 1. Can someone correct me here?

BeaterEP
05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
bumpin this to #1 for more input, and maybe answers to a couple of the unanswered questions. :thumbu:

kenscivic
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I thought it was Exedy OEM clutch that is our K-Series OEM clutch, not Exedy Stage 1. Can someone correct me here?

I am pretty sure the Stage 1 holds more torque than oem.. Just goto an online store and it should give specs for torque handling capabilities

T_Virus
05-21-2010, 12:27 PM
I am pretty sure the Stage 1 holds more torque than oem.. Just goto an online store and it should give specs for torque handling capabilities

Yeah, That is what I thought. Stage 1 should hold more torque than our oem.

BeaterEP
05-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Bumpin this back up.
Picked up an ITR flywheel, haven't bought the new clutch yet. I'll need an RSX clutch and PP to go with that fly, correct? OEM EP will not fit, I'm assuming?

BeaterEP
08-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Been a while, but figured I'd update this, as I got everything sorted out.

Clutch was absolutely fine, after all. Problem turned out to be my slave cylinder, which was pretty much frozen solid. Oops.
Pulled it, the Exedy clutch, and replaced both (I'd already gotten the new clutch, so why not right? :mbiggrin:), and all is right with the world.
Still breaking in the new clutch setup, OEM `05 Type-S w/an ITR flywheel (that bitch is light!!!), but it's obvious already how much smoother engagement is w/the OEM setup. The Exedy Stage 1 was definitely fun: quick engagement, and that thing gripped hard, but I kinda like the smoother feel of this setup for my DD purposes, and the thing revs crazy quick w/that ITR fly in it, so there's still some fun to be had there.
Anyhow, that's it, just going through the old posts and figured I'd update the thread.

HondaFreak
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Sweet! You found your problem and got a better setup. I no lie to you, that's a good setup.
OEM flywheel FTW!

Christian

JxSmooth808
09-03-2010, 05:20 AM
where'd you pick up your itr flywheel? Im starting to "feel" some problems with my exedy stage1/fidanza combo (rattling noise, possibly the throw out bearing) and been wanting to upgrade since im planning on boosting soon.

BeaterEP
09-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Picked it up with about 20k miles on it from another member here. Quick turn and it was good to go.
I'd say just keep an eye out here and places like CRSX in their classifieds, that's where they're most likely to show up.

BTW love the ITR fly, thing revs quuuiiiiiick :mbiggrin:
Makes those down shifts lots of fun!

JxSmooth808
09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Haha it sounds like fun. I can only image how it feels like at the auto-x

ep3demon
10-17-2010, 10:42 PM
ditch the act crap alot of evos had or have problems with their clutches for some reason. prob just garbage.

the stage 1 should be different than the oem exedy clutch. at least it was like 200 dollars diff for my evo

btween the oem exedy replacement and the stage one.

sistealth02
07-14-2012, 02:24 PM

This is not true. The stage 1 is an "upgrade" over stock, and holds around 50% more torque capacity than the OEM clutch. Exedy makes an OEM clutch as well, which is the OEM one that goes on our cars in production, not the stage 1.

kep3si
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
where'd you pick up your itr flywheel? Im starting to "feel" some problems with my exedy stage1/fidanza combo (rattling noise, possibly the throw out bearing) and been wanting to upgrade since im planning on boosting soon.

Hey man how long did that combo last you? How was the pedal feel and grab? Was thinking about buying this setup any info would be appreciated