PDA

View Full Version : Grind from 2nd to 3rd.. Synchros? Master?

superchargedk20
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
So today was doing some spirited driving. Went WOT in 2nd and when i went to 3rd it just grinded. So i gunned it in 2nd again but i didnt shift to 3rd hard i let it sit in nuetral for a second or 2 then put it in 3rd and it still grinded. ughhh. If i drive normal its fine. But any type of acceleration will result in grinding. Even if i got WOT in 2nd then let it sit in nutral for a bit before goin to 3rd it will grind!!(unless i really just let it sit for awhile before puttin it in 3rd then its fine)

If im in 4th and upshift to 3rd rapidly and hard it wont grind. All other gears are fine. Its just the transition from 2nd to 3rd. I have a spec stage 2 plus with act streetlite Fly. The clutch is really chattery when leaving off first, and also i didnt change my master and slave. So if i hold the clutch in for awhile then try to engage from first some times the clutch grabs RIGHT away and the pedal is rough on the way up.

So i just want to make a list of all the possible things. Im just hoping its not my synchros but am feeling that it is. Anything else to look for before assuming the worse?

Hondatuner87
05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
To be dead hones with you, its more then likely the synchros. My 1st to 2nd was like this right when i swapped my motor (probably from previous owner since its used) and then my 2nd to 3rd started doing it. As bad as it is to say, i was rather young & stupid when i did the swap and litterally beat the ever living piss out of the transmission for a good two years and ive taken a toll for it. I never shift hard from 1st to 2nd nor do i from 2nd to 3rd. Car is paid off in one more payment so i will be replacing the whole trans, clutch & fly since the comp stage 4 clutch and comp ultra light flywheel have about 35k on em so im sure those need to go to.

Sucks this happened to you because i know you just did the turbo swap and your looking to have some fun with the new setup but now it looks like your going to want to settle down a bit and just drive the car normal until you have money to replace everything. This is the whole fun in being a car enthusiast and modifying your car =] cheers

superchargedk20
05-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Yea it sux. Well on the good side if I "double clutch" it never scratches. I can still romp the shit out of 2nd and as long as I "double clutch to 3rd" i never grinds. I was wondering if they made a carbon synchro kit for our car? Im definately gettin this taken care of soon, but for now i can deal with just the double clutch.... Not granny shifting lol.

Hondatuner87
05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I would just take it easy in general man. Just because its not grinding when you double clutch doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. I would just chill and relax because you wouldn't want to mess it up for when your daily driving. As far as carbon synchro kit i have no freaking idea but even if they do, i wouldn't even want to know the price tag haha.

superchargedk20
05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I would just take it easy in general man. Just because its not grinding when you double clutch doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. I would just chill and relax because you wouldn't want to mess it up for when your daily driving. As far as carbon synchro kit i have no freaking idea but even if they do, i wouldn't even want to know the price tag haha.

haha good thing the ep isnt my DD lol. But yea im taking it easy on it. I was just rompin to test out my "doublt clutch" theory to see if it was holdin up lol.

BigLon30
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
So today was doing some spirited driving. Went WOT in 2nd and when i went to 3rd it just grinded. So i gunned it in 2nd again but i didnt shift to 3rd hard i let it sit in nuetral for a second or 2 then put it in 3rd and it still grinded. ughhh. If i drive normal its fine. But any type of acceleration will result in grinding. Even if i got WOT in 2nd then let it sit in nutral for a bit before goin to 3rd it will grind!!(unless i really just let it sit for awhile before puttin it in 3rd then its fine)

If im in 4th and upshift to 3rd rapidly and hard it wont grind. All other gears are fine. Its just the transition from 2nd to 3rd. I have a spec stage 2 plus with act streetlite Fly. The clutch is really chattery when leaving off first, and also i didnt change my master and slave. So if i hold the clutch in for awhile then try to engage from first some times the clutch grabs RIGHT away and the pedal is rough on the way up.

So i just want to make a list of all the possible things. Im just hoping its not my synchros but am feeling that it is. Anything else to look for before assuming the worse?

I have had this same issue for almost a year now and I'm pretty sure it's the 3rd gear synchro that needs to be replaced. As long as I don't drive it hard it never grinds. I DD my EP so I try not to beat on it. There are two company's I know of that make synchros for K-series transmissions. Synchrotech-transmissons.com and Gearspeed.com both sell complete rebuild kits and carbon-coated synchros. I still have not decided if I'm going to rebuild mine or just swap transmissions when it finally craps out. Hope this helps.:mbiggrin:

superchargedk20
05-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Already took the tranny out. Sychro is shot. Ordering new ones from Honda. SHould be back up on the road Saturday

Andrew
05-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Already took the tranny out. Sychro is shot. Ordering new ones from Honda. SHould be back up on the road Saturday

damn you act fast

Andrew
05-27-2010, 01:08 AM

damn you act fast

superchargedk20
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
damn you act fast

Im one of those people where my car needs to be a 100% all the time. If the Tiniest thing is broken its fixed immediately. I love my car. Gona take some pics of the damage

Kerby
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
no gear x? :pout:

Hondatuner87
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
god damn! thats was quick, wish i had the time, tools, money, and knowledge to do it!

edit: im curious as to how much new synchros cost, and how hard it is to uninstall and re-install new ones. let me know whatsup.

superchargedk20
05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
no gear x? :pout:
What do u mean ? I had the gear just a nasty grind everytime puttin it in 3rd

god damn! thats was quick, wish i had the time, tools, money, and knowledge to do it!

edit: im curious as to how much new synchros cost, and how hard it is to uninstall and re-install new ones. let me know whatsup.

Knowledge i have none. Money i have none. What I do have is a shop that knows what there doing, and a credit card with a 10,500 limit.. If u go to hondaparts.com (i think thats it). U can get the prices there. Also i think k20a.org has all the part # there listed

superchargedk20
05-28-2010, 10:57 AM
well tranny is put back together. Just so u guys know the synchros from honda are carbon synchros.

superchargedk20
05-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Got my car back..... i love my rebuilt tranny

RHCP0801
05-29-2010, 11:10 AM
damn thats a big limit on the credit card lol, no wonder why you do so much work to your car haha

superchargedk20
05-29-2010, 11:40 AM
haha ya. i give a hefty amount a month so its not that bad