PDA

View Full Version : JRSC auto tensioner belt length for 3.7 pulley

shortstop
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Gonna do this tomorrow, stock is 7 rib 65.3 inch long correct? Going to mock up my stock and try to guess it from there on the belt size.

beechstreet
05-21-2010, 04:16 PM
good luck! post up your findings!

DirtyEP3
05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
use the gator back with the 2.5 rsx ten. it works great for me! i never have belt slip.

shortstop
05-22-2010, 09:11 AM
which gatorback did you use and you used the 2.5 rsx tensioner and shaved the bracket? That's what I have so far and my 62 1/8" gates belt is barely too small and the stock 65.3" belt is far too big. Also, I can only locate gates locally, who sells gatorbacks?

DirtyEP3
05-22-2010, 11:15 AM
oh snap u have a auto tensioner. i have the JR one. At my work i have a gates that will fit but it is a 8 rib belt. you can get Gatorbacks at auto zone just go in with the part number i think it 4070622. its a 62.2 in belt. if that does not work you will probly have to cut a rib off a 8 rib belt, not my first choice but doable.

shortstop
05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah just trying to make the auto work. I am gonna pick up a cheap dayco belt today 63" to see if it will fit and then go on an order gatorback off amazon. Seems like nobody around here has anything for me. I just had to dump the manual tensioner because it kept slipping (with the nut on the bottom, threads were stripped) and sometimes my hid's would flicker and same with radio.

shortstop
05-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Got the 63" on with the 4.0 pulley. So the 3.7 is somwhere between 62 1/8 and 63 but im content with the 4.0 for now on auto tensioner. I do however still have one problem, when i come to a stop or turn, sometimes my lights flash on (not exactly sure which ones yet) and my power steering/radio/lights go out and then come back on when i hit the gas. Could this be a weak battery or alternator? Really don't feel like messing with it right now but when i do i was wondering where to start if any of you had this problem.

RHCP0801
05-22-2010, 02:20 PM
sounds like a slipping belt issue

jerseyjew
05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Got the 63" on with the 4.0 pulley. So the 3.7 is somwhere between 62 1/8 and 63 but im content with the 4.0 for now on auto tensioner. I do however still have one problem, when i come to a stop or turn, sometimes my lights flash on (not exactly sure which ones yet) and my power steering/radio/lights go out and then come back on when i hit the gas. Could this be a weak battery or alternator? Really don't feel like messing with it right now but when i do i was wondering where to start if any of you had this problem.

It is probably directly related to the belt slipping on the alternator, which is in return not charging the car properly. If the belt is not slipping it is most likely a faulty battery or alternator, or both. You can have both checked for free at autozone.

shortstop
05-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Im thinking it has to be belt slippage with the cheap ass dayco belt. May try gatorback. I put on the 4.0 with jrsc base map and im not too sure on the supercharger any more....I had a turbo gsr swap back in the day and I feel it would put busses on my ep.

04EP3Hatch
05-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Im thinking it has to be belt slippage with the cheap ass dayco belt. May try gatorback. I put on the 4.0 with jrsc base map and im not too sure on the supercharger any more....I had a turbo gsr swap back in the day and I feel it would put busses on my ep.

well yea, it would dude, apples and oranges, a 184hp Bseries with a turbocharger vs a 160hp Ksereis with a supercharger, whole different ball game, get the 3.7 on, get a tune, and have some fun with evo's and sti's like me!

beechstreet
05-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Got the 63" on with the 4.0 pulley. So the 3.7 is somwhere between 62 1/8 and 63 but im content with the 4.0 for now on auto tensioner.

good info. thanks for posting it up! did you have to mod the oem tensioner other than shaving down the restrictor tab? I'm trying to collect as much info before I attempt this next week. much appreciated.

RoyVegasPinoy
05-23-2010, 10:32 PM
i've been out of the game for a while.. can somebody tell me where you guys got the auto tensioner? this is new stuff to me.

beechstreet
05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
i've been out of the game for a while.. can somebody tell me where you guys got the auto tensioner? this is new stuff to me.

take the OEM tensioner that was replaced by the JR manual tensioner and modify it to work with the JRSC

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54085-Modding-OEM-Tensioner-for-JRSC

speedking604
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
i've been using the manual tensioner for like 3 years now and i never had a problem about slipping once the belt is properly break in. i have 3.7" jrsc pulley, 2.5" jrsc tensioner, a3 crank pulley, and i'm using 4080620 gatorback belt. just need to cut the one extra rib and your good to go. if you need more information you can search my user name. by the way, i'm running k20z1 motor and 6 speed tranny from k20z1 and watermethanol. i hope this help.

superchargedk20
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
that gatorback is hit or miss. I switched to a gates with my 3.8 after two fails with gatorbacks. Gates never slipped

04EP3Hatch
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
i've been using the manual tensioner for like 3 years now and i never had a problem about slipping once the belt is properly break in. i have 3.7" jrsc pulley, 2.5" jrsc tensioner, a3 crank pulley, and i'm using 4080620 gatorback belt. just need to cut the one extra rib and your good to go. if you need more information you can search my user name. by the way, i'm running k20z1 motor and 6 speed tranny from k20z1 and watermethanol. i hope this help.

omg and the blower isnt overspun?

shortstop
05-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, I don't think the belt was slipping but not 100 percent. I do know that I was throwing ELD and Multiplexer codes. Replaced ELD today, hope it didnt burn out, multiplexer is on its way and cost 181 dollars!!!! It sucks to drive , im back to n/a and if i hit a bump or turn the wheel so the electronic power steering is working the car flashes the lights and the gauges go crazy and the radio kicks off. Its a mess, I dont know what to do about electrical problems. I did an ELD 6 months ago and have never modified a wire on the car since i have owned it at 8,000 miles. Buddies at honda were saying ep's were notorious for electrical issues. I almost want to try the supercharger again with a different belt before I sell it saturday. I need to turbo/swap/sell the ep..................

beechstreet
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey shortstop, did you have to replace the 3" OEM tensioner pulley with a smaller one? Did you also have to cut off a big chunk of the tensioner so it wouldnt hit the neck of the supercharger? I hit both those snags today trying to install the auto tensioner. thanks for any feedback.