PDA

View Full Version : rsx sway bars

ortedd
12-05-2002, 05:49 AM
I have read that front drive cars can benefit from a smaller or no sway bar in the front. Does anyone know the diameters of the front sway bars for the Si, Base RSX, and RSX Type S? Thanks

tkm
12-05-2002, 09:34 AM
www.honda.com and www.acura.com tells you what sizes they are on the specs page of the particular car.

B18CXr
12-05-2002, 12:46 PM
our POS EP 25mmF 15mmR

RSX-S 23mmF 19mmR

ortedd
12-05-2002, 03:29 PM
yeah i noticed that too, it is strange it seems like they made the si so it would understeer more.

Cone Killer
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ortedd
yeah i noticed that too, it is strange it seems like they made the si so it would understeer more.

yup...and that's how all front wheel drive cars are designed.

Silvershadow
12-10-2002, 04:23 AM
Conekiller:Go drive a '88-'89 CRX or Civic Si with Auto-X tires.There is NO understeer!!!Except in the rain.Drive a DOdge Omni & that describes d UNDEERSTEER u speak off.It's more like TERROR.Haven't driven my Si long enough,but I'd say there's more understeer than eariler Civic's.Luckily the CTR doesn't 1/2 this problem.---Silvershadow---

ortedd
12-10-2002, 05:23 AM
Under hard cornering completely stock it under-steers pretty bad. Any square+ turn will contribute to under-steer. It might not be too bad since the last autocross that I went to had most cars under-steering in the turns that were giving me the most trouble. There were a few RWD cars that were able to get a nice power on drift through the turn and a 95 civic Si that looked like he did a nice hand brake turn. I am kind of new though so I know that I have to work on my driving technique, left foot braking and hand brake turns. I think that I might wait till my car is dropped to try any serious hand brake turns.

chunky
12-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by ortedd

the 2002 si has a very different chassis than the 2002 rsx. the si is shorter by almost 6", taller by 2" and narrower by 1"

The reason for the fatter front sway bar is b/c it's taller and narrower and experiences more body lean up front than the RSX with the same sized swaybar. By going to a smaller diameter sway bar, you are increasing the amount of body roll you will experience in the front. It may help achieve some understeer correction, but with stock springs, it will make the car lean quite a bit. I'd only go this route if I had aftermarket springs.

the rear sway bar is smaller b/c there is considerably less weight behind the rear wheels in the SI. The rear end wants to rotate faster anyhow b/c it doesn't stick out as far. Hence the smaller rear bar to keep the car from rotating more than what the average joe can handle.

IMO, this car rotates more than the RSX, and significantly more than any recently made honda. I only experience mild understeer through most turns, and moderate understeer through most sharp turns where i'm unable to set my cornering angles etc.

TezGari
10-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Would it be a good idea to buy the RSX S front sway bar? Because im getting the rear...And i am not sure if the front will make a diffrence like the rear?

thanks!

Cone Killer
10-21-2003, 02:22 PM
I would not do it. I did and got wayyyyy too much oversteer.

TezGari
10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
So for instalation:

1. Take out 2 bolts on left side (underbody)
2. Take out 2 bolts on right side (underbody)
3. Take out left endlink bolt then right endlink bolt
4. install new sway bar, then bolt back up steps 1-2 but do not over tighten till step 3 is tightend..

Does that sound right?
Also do we need anytype of greese?

civic hatch boi
10-21-2003, 11:06 PM
nope, no grease.

TezGari
10-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
nope, no grease.

Umkay, just checking, i know my suspension needed it somewhere when i was installing the TEIN S techs....