PDA

View Full Version : Blitzsafe iPod Interface -- plugs directly to OEM radio

J Mo
05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey all,

So I saw a Blitzsafe iPod interface for sale in the classifieds, and I decided to snag it. Installed it yesterday, didn't finish until today due to lack of tools (needed a socket wrench with an extension to get one of those 90 degree screws out..)

Anyhow, I was hoping I would be able to route the cables from the radio to the container hidden underneath the cupholders, but unfortunately, i didnt know that the containment is sealed, and I am not going to make holes on my center console.

So what I did instead was run the wires through the back, to the passenger footwell area, so I can get the actual cable that plugs to the iPod to plug to the cable from the Blitzsafe box there, to help with troubleshooting. Then I snuck the cable underneath the center console "skirt" on the passenger side, so it can emerge approximately where the sliding cupholder ends.

The Blitzsafe box itself is located on that little void that you can access if you take the glovebox out. It is directly to the left of where the left glovebox "hook" hooks. No photos of this one, because I thought of taking pictures only after I was done, unfortunately.

It connects to the rear of the stock radio, right next to the vehicle connectors, there would be an empty interface for things such as this, or an external multidisc changer

Pictures would speak better, so without further adieu, here we are:

Where the Blitz-iPod connection is made (passenger footwell area)
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2642/img0108on.jpg

what it looks like (i pulled it out so it can be seen -- otherwise, i tuck it away)
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1061/img0109v.jpg

i tucked it under the center console, to emerge around this area
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4015/img0110zd.jpg

iPod out operation
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6697/img0112r.jpg

stealth mode
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7331/img0114x.jpg

how i would operate it while driving
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/1420/img0120br.jpg

the view from outside, peeking in, hands cupped to block sunlight -- not very obvious that its there, and to those who doesnt know the cupholder does slide to reveal a compartment, they'll have some thinking to do to determine what the heck that cable could be
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3600/img0116k.jpg

what the passenger can see -- not much :mbiggrin:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3071/img0115g.jpg

what the OEM radio will be telling you (you press CD/AUX twice, so it would think there's a multi disc changer attached)
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7296/img0118sh.jpg

what the blitzsafe thing looks like (taken from their site)
http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/images/uploads/HON-M-Link1-DMX-V1D.jpg

Like I said, just wanted to share, and also because I feel damn proud that I spent 5 hours in the car obsessing over how to do this, and getting stuck with a stuck 90 degree bolt :mcool:

yyi
05-22-2010, 03:35 PM
good work!! :thumbu:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1061/img0109v.jpg
Although I would probably tape the joint together, because it does tend to come lose easily while driving, and you cannot reach down to fix it while driving.

otherwise great stuff man!! hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

J Mo
05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
thanks for the advice!

yea it seems like its easy to get it loose, but we'll see -- the way i twisty tied it relieves tension on one of the connectors, so we'll see if my (supposed) knowledge of physics is enough :mbiggrin:

also, this marks my first "true" contribution to the site, yaaay!

Squidward
05-22-2010, 04:37 PM
That's outstanding! I've been wrestling with an FM transmitter to use my iPod in the car. Very mediocre results at best. I was actually planning on replacing the entire head unit to get direct link iPod playback, but I think I like this better! My experience has proven that aftermarket audio equipment works amazingly well as a thief magnet (death to thieves!) This product will get my iPod tunes cranking without attracting undue attention. Thanks for posting this!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to let you know I think someone jizzed in your tray behind your cup holders. Better get some disinfectant on that.

TTownEP
05-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah, I also wanted to let you know I think someone jizzed in your tray behind your cup holders. Better get some disinfectant on that.

Haha, I saw that too.

I loved my blitzsafe adapter. Unfortunately my iPod died and I didn't replace it.
I did cut a small hole in my console, just big enough for the cable head to poke through, up high on the front. There's no way you could ever see that hole with the console mounted in the car, I could only find it when it was out. Then I could shut the little hatch on the cup holders and have it completely hidden.

Squidward
05-22-2010, 05:58 PM
...I did cut a small hole in my console, just big enough for the cable head to poke through, up high on the front. There's no way you could ever see that hole with the console mounted in the car, I could only find it when it was out. Then I could shut the little hatch on the cup holders and have it completely hidden.
That's what I was going to try. Did you have to remove the center storage area to make the hole?

TTownEP
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, I just pulled the whole console out and flipped it over. It'll be obvious where you need the hole to go.

Chad
05-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I popped a hole inside the cup holder compartment int eh very front, will never be seen... best thing I ever did.

Sucka
05-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I tucked my cable underneath the cup holder so no one can see the aux wire.

J Mo
05-22-2010, 08:05 PM

disturbing, i know -- but it wont come off (no pun intended :)

i tried cleaning that up but it seems like its some kind of cream drink, so i just kinda left it alone after a while -- makes an interesting topic opener though when i have passengers in the car that are inquisitive enough to notice

one thing i really love about this iPod interface is its capability to charge the newer generation iPods -- one thing to note however, is that it keeps on charging your iPod even with the ignition set to off -- like the radio runs on some phantom power to keep the anti-theft features alive, that phantom power carries over to the iPod, so make sure you use an iPod with batteries that you wont care for much, or disconnect the connection afterwards

... get my iPod tunes cranking without attracting undue attention

exactly why i opted for this option -- the cuts and scrapes on my hands are worth it trying to get this beezie in

My experience has proven that aftermarket audio equipment works amazingly well as a thief magnet (death to thieves!)

funny, because when i used to have my first car, a base trim automatic '99 Saturn SL2, someone broke into my car to steal about $3 worth of loose change, a pen, some hand sanitizer, and baby wipes... wtf, srsly?

thieves... :mmad:

Yes, I just pulled the whole console out and flipped it over. It'll be obvious where you need the hole to go.

i really wanted to get something like this done, but having to remove the whole thing? too much trouble for me, so what i have must suffice for now

i actually thought of routing the cable through the power socket (not the empty slot on the center dash trim, next to the shifter, under that) but i voted against it because: one, it will involve some cutting to get the trim to fit back properly, and two, the cabling would be more exposed

then again, i thought of another grand idea after everything's done (boo!) -- how about routing the wire to the driver side of things? im thinking get the cables to run through the fuse panel cover, onto the fabricky sleeve pocket thing underneath the driver side cupholder and above the hood release lever

TTownEP
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
one thing i really love about this iPod interface is its capability to charge the newer generation iPods -- one thing to note however, is that it keeps on charging your iPod even with the ignition set to off -- like the radio runs on some phantom power to keep the anti-theft features alive, that phantom power carries over to the iPod, so make sure you use an iPod with batteries that you wont care for much, or disconnect the connection afterwards.

It charges for 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off. At least that's what mine did. And you'd do well to keep it out of the car when it gets hot. All that heat cycling will kill that battery quick.

i really wanted to get something like this done, but having to remove the whole thing? too much trouble for me, so what i have must suffice for now

It's really not that big of a deal to get the console out. A few of screws down on the sides, and two bolts in the bottom of the storage cubby.

J Mo
05-23-2010, 07:49 AM
It charges for 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off. At least that's what mine did. And you'd do well to keep it out of the car when it gets hot. All that heat cycling will kill that battery quick.

It's really not that big of a deal to get the console out. A few of screws down on the sides, and two bolts in the bottom of the storage cubby.

interesting, i'll check mine out later today

as for dying iPod battery, my iPod's is bad anyway, thats why i made it the perfect candidate to be used for this application -- its dependent on outside power now, otherwise it will die within an hour of just playing music

as for removing the console, i'll go take a look at that service manual and see -- maybe its a good summer project to add to my list :mbiggrin:

vicx52o
07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I have the blitzsafe iPod adapter and I know it work's on the iPhone 3G/3GS/4...

Anyone else with an iPhone 4 + Blitzsafe iPod adapter notice that the iPhone get's really hot? It feel's like it's being overcharged and causing the battery to over heat.

Chad
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I have the blitzsafe iPod adapter and I know it work's on the iPhone 3G/3GS/4...

Anyone else with an iPhone 4 + Blitzsafe iPod adapter notice that the iPhone get's really hot? It feel's like it's being overcharged and causing the battery to over heat.

It may WORK but does it charge?

The newest classics, ipod touch and pphone 3 G and up removed firewire charging, they have to be charged via the USB pins, the iphone goes one sttep further and has to be faked into a charge by showing voltage ont eh data lines of hte USB too.

vicx52o
07-09-2010, 04:12 PM
It does work/function fine and it does say that it is charging... But I know for sure it shouldn't get super hot when it is plugged in... The metal rim/antenna that goes around the phone get's REALLY hot.

losingit01
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
item number? i checked the site and theres no specific choice:mfrown:

large
06-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Add a toggle switch the cut the power to the blitz device... batteries suck.

Spidey
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Just completed this install and I should have done it years ago after relying on FM Transmitters. I bought the interface from speedster and followed his instructions, which were fairly easy. I just have to figure out a way to run the cable to the iPod so it's more aesthetically pleasing.

02TWSI
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Just completed this install and I should have done it years ago after relying on FM Transmitters. I bought the interface from speedster and followed his instructions, which were fairly easy. I just have to figure out a way to run the cable to the iPod so it's more aesthetically pleasing.

Compartment under the cup holder is what most people do

jeenyusss
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I installed this last night in about 20 minutes, I ran it to my glovebox

brennaneli
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
item number? i checked the site and theres no specific choice:mfrown:

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=778024

This should help

streetrs206
10-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Is there any way to add an AUX cable without having to buy the adapter? Im wanting to put my stock head unit back in but i really use the Aux cable. The cheapest adapter i found was 50, money is tight so i cant afford that right now. If anyone has done this please let me know what you guys did thanks

1fast03ep
11-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I had a Blitzsafe interface when my factory player was still installed, I loved it! It was the model that had RCA inputs so you could just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor cable to hook it up to most any player. I now have a Kenwood KDC-X589 with an external Kenwood iPod interface. The iPod is in a sleeve attached to the front panel inside the glove box.

ninebreaker8
09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Just completed this install and I should have done it years ago after relying on FM Transmitters. I bought the interface from speedster and followed his instructions, which were fairly easy. I just have to figure out a way to run the cable to the iPod so it's more aesthetically pleasing. You could also do that one compartment under the cupholders. it's pretty subtle and can be taken in and out easily.

ninebreaker8
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
It does work/function fine and it does say that it is charging... But I know for sure it shouldn't get super hot when it is plugged in... The metal rim/antenna that goes around the phone get's REALLY hot.

From my experience with phones/MP3's, when i'm charging something and using it at the same time, (such as charging my phone and talking) it causes it to heat up. it's probably normal, because i've had this happen to every phone i've ever owned and they've all worked fine.

mitchlikesbikes
09-03-2012, 02:25 PM
holy back from the dead bump batman.

el_puncho
10-01-2012, 01:39 PM
These adapters will heat up the device because it is in use while it charges. My IPOD battery started to go bad before I noticed what was happening to it. BUT there are was to take care of it, IE not leaving it plugged in or when its full charged disconnect it/use it until the battery drains a bit and then reconnect and use. I started doing this and noticed the battery performance improved a bit. This install shouldn't take more than 20 minutes and its a breeze if you have a tiny phillips head screw driver. I will post a pic of mine later.

tlikethedrink
10-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Ordered mine- should be in tomorrow or Monday. Kinda stoked for it. Tired of replacing radios (had 3 stolen total : 2 out of my old spyder and 1 out of the EP. With the EP they took the entire dash!) so when looking for something low profile and cheap I came across this-

I plan on cutting a corner off the cd pocket and running it in there. Also replacing door and rear speakers with kickers : )

el_puncho
11-02-2012, 02:41 AM

With this little screw driver, the install of this adapter should be a breeze. Or if you have to gain access behind the radio or take off the trim etc. I purchased a 2pc set from Harbor Freight ages ago.

Her-Name's-Ally
11-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Does this have an aux cord to plug in a cell phone too?

tlikethedrink
11-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Does this have an aux cord to plug in a cell phone too?
There is a aux plug version. I almost bought one of those on accident- but those would work better as there more "universal" and you don't have to work about your I phone getting hot. Which it does! I drilled a hole behind the cd pocket and ran the cable trough there. You could get away with a pretty small hole if your drilling for an aux cable.

Her-Name's-Ally
11-02-2012, 08:06 AM
ok so the Aux cable version is better? how come you didnt get that one?

L0ki
11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
ok so the Aux cable version is better? how come you didnt get that one?

shoot me a link to one of those lol

Her-Name's-Ally
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/honda/civic/cat_267.html

L0ki
11-02-2012, 10:36 AM
http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/honda/civic/cat_267.html

thankss

el_puncho
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I think there's a couple of models with both interfaces. Crutchfield had one if im not mistaken.

brian1414
06-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I had the Blizsafe for around 2 years so far. The problem I have is during summer time, when the cabin gets too hot inside the audio system will play the music with beeping noise at the background and cutting off speakers on the left side... I have contacted Blitzsafe and could not solve anything....

Her-Name's-Ally
06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Hmm I dont have that issue... the only playing from one side I think is caused from the adapter cable.