PDA

View Full Version : Stock Struts Blown, Upgrade to Coilovers?

underOATH
05-23-2010, 01:37 AM
So I bought my 04 ep3 used with 38K and it came with stock struts w/ HFP lowering springs and FG rims. I live in a rural area and potholes are a major problem, sure enough at 68K now I need new suspension.

So, im wondering. What is a good path to take for comfortable suspension? I like the drop of the HFP springs, but I want something thats super comfortable to drive, and less that $1100.

Im open to suggestions. my ep3 is in need of some serious TLC and I want to start here :)

thanks guys!

Zzyzx
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Super comfortable is going to be tough to get, unless you go back to totally stock. Its tough to get a caddy ride out of a car that weighs half as much as one (Hint, add weight). Other wise I'd be looking for some good dampers to go with your springs, something like Bilstein, Koni Perhaps. Either will run you well under $1100.

hondaguy92129
05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
One good set up that I was thinking of is Bilstein sport struts with Eiback Pro-kit springs. Should lover your car about an inch from the stock suspension and supposedly is a very nice riding setup. The shocks/springs from tirerack run about $1000 for everything.

Drew1d
05-25-2010, 06:22 AM
I've got crazy potholes and dirt roads. The biggest difference I noticed with pot holes was ride height. If you are lowered, you are taking away how far the suspension can move up. Another huge thing I noticed was disconnecting the front sway. That way when one wheel dips in a hole, it doesn't pull the other wheel down with it.

To change your suspension probably means also changing your tires.