PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to clean snow off the Si?

snubnose
12-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Hi, there's a ton of snow on my Si and I am going to have to take it off. I don't want to scratch the paint.

How do you get if off?

Jpax
12-05-2002, 09:27 AM
you get in and let it warm up for 15mins that way all the snow comes off.

there are a couple of peeps here that live in snowy area. they should know.

jaydub
12-05-2002, 09:33 AM
I was thinking maybe a leaf blower would do the trick.

silver ep
12-05-2002, 09:37 AM
Id try dampening a large sponge with warm water and wiping the snow off that way.

pocketrocket
12-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Bare Hands.

-PR

snubnose
12-05-2002, 09:42 AM
That's a good idea, silver ep, I'll use the same sponge that I use to wash it.

hacim
12-05-2002, 09:45 AM
I live in Colorado and we get ore fair amount of snow. I use a soft bristled broom. I works well, even with the wet heavy snow.

Mechanic
12-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
Id try dampening a large sponge with warm water and wiping the snow off that way.

Be careful. Depending on the temp diff, you could end up cracking the windshield. Also, when that water freezes again, it essentially will weld the rubber seals to the glass until the temp rises again. Better solution: move south. :-]

i-WERKS
12-05-2002, 01:07 PM
why not use a squeegy(sp?)?

silver ep
12-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Be careful. Depending on the temp diff, you could end up cracking the windshield. Also, when that water freezes again, it essentially will weld the rubber seals to the glass until the temp rises again. Better solution: move south. :-]

Thats true, I should of said lightly dampen with slightly warm water. ;)

BarracksSi
12-05-2002, 03:10 PM
I just pushed all of mine off with my gloved hands & arms. I would have bought a brush/scraper device at least two weeks ago, but the stores around here don't know to start selling them early enough (not like back home in Nebraska!).

I'll also say that it helps a lot when the paint has been waxed recently and the windows have Rain-X or something similar. I washed & waxed & Rain-X'd my car just two weeks ago, and when the snow came off, it looked pretty darned good.

We got a good 5" or so here in DC, and I was so happy to see SNOW, finally. It's only been my second winter here, and last year, we didn't get shit for snow while I was in town.

Si4Me
12-05-2002, 03:36 PM
This thread makes one glad to live in California :)
Although I did my time in snow country (with my CRX)

02blksi
12-05-2002, 04:09 PM
"I was thinking maybe a leaf blower would do the trick."

Bwahahaaaa, Id PAY to see that!

with 10+ inches here already and still snowing right now, i dont think the leaf blower would have enough umph to blow this snow off the car. Maybe a flamethrower.. LOL (see the unrelated forum for pics of the snow here in the northeast right now!)

I just use a soft bristle brush .... You cali peeps prolly have no clue what that is or does. LOL LUCKY SOB's! :) :)

Mechanic
12-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
. . . We got a good 5" or so here in DC, and I was so happy to see SNOW, finally. It's only been my second winter here, and last year, we didn't get shit for snow while I was in town.

Aaaaaagghhh! Sorry, BarracksSi, but I hate everything associated with snow. Last year, and the year before that, was WONDERFUL in DC. No snow! The junk that they put on the roads to get rid of the snow is a witches' brew of truly evil sh-t. The combination of salt and gravel absolutely ruins everything it comes in contact on an automobile -- particularly our aluminum radiators, brakes and hoses, chassis and body panels. And if you don't think that snow makes a world of difference in its effects on an automobile driven in this mess, the sight of a 40-year-old Porsche casually parked on the street in San Diego will convince you otherwise.

This is a miserable time for an automobile enthusiast, and the only consulation I can think of is that there's a Metro station is within walking distance.