PDA

View Full Version : Engine keeps revving up need help asap...

Turtal
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Two days ago it rained hard for like hour in NC and I was driving home with a cai on my 05 hatch. I saw a big puddle and couldn’t get over so I took my foot off the gas and just coasted through it. Then about like 200 ft after I got back on the gas and bam it happened engine locked and car turned off. I sat there for like 10 mins in the road. Then I restarted the car and it started but sputtered a lot but drove it home like 5 mins away. The whole way home the engine kept revving up and down from 1k to 2k. I got home check the spark plugs and they were dry and no water bubbles on the dip stick. I took of my cai and put back in my stick air box, and there way water on the bottom of my TB. It just threw a code this morning and auto zone said it was the mass air sensor so I replaced that but it's still revving. I've cleaned the IVAC with a rag and a lil wd40 still nothing. Also after changing he mass air flow sensor is isn't throwing any codes but still revving. Please help

talonXracer
05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
We have no mass air flow, we have a manifold air pressure sensor.

The IAC sounds like it needs to be removed cleaned and oiled, or replaced, it is stuck in a open position acting as a vacuum leak.

Turtal
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Fixed it thanks bro i did this. Pull off entire throttle body, and turn it upside down. You will see a sensor thats connected to a coolant line (for those wondering, this is an EXCELLENT time to do the TB coolant bypass... one of the existing lines is the perfect length!). Remove the coolant line and keep a cap ready, coolant will start spilling onto your tranny The TB has one entrance and one exit for the coolant line, just go ahead and bypass the coolant line from the TB completely. Next, you'll undo 2 phillips screws to pull off the Idle air control valve. This valve has an electric portion that needs to be removed. Carefully dremel slits in the two specialty screws and remove the electronic portion of the sensor. This will reveal a little metal head that needs to be able to spin freely. I would try to first clean this entire assembly out with brake cleaner, and then give it a tiny shot of WD40 to keep it lubed for the future. Unplug the negative terminal of your battery or pull your ecu fuse,then replug. Plug everything back up to the TB and back onto the intake manifold, and start her up. She should run fine... if not you probably have a bad sensor.

talonXracer
05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Yup, that DIY is posted up and I do believe it is stickied as well.

I have seen a stealership say they replaced the IAC and simply cleaned it....

Turtal
05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Yea well thanks for all the help