PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Clunking Noise in Front End - Stock Susp.?

JSIR
07-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been getting a clunking noise from the front end when doing low speed parking lot manoevers, with decent amount of steering wheel turning. This started only once and a while at first, now is happening all the time. This is on totally stock supension. I've got to get it back to the dealer very soon. I was so happy as this was the first Honda I have owned that didn't have any rattles or funny noises, but I guess I spoke too soon.

2k2civicSi
07-15-2002, 07:05 PM
yep i have it too its only when im going slow and turning

todaCspec
07-16-2002, 06:15 AM
you should check the front suspension(springs). i know alot of s2000 owners had a similar problem.it turned out that the dealerships forgot to take out spacers between the springs.

JSIR
07-16-2002, 09:41 AM
thanks, I'll check it out. if not the dealer can figure it out.

grooveline
07-16-2002, 01:05 PM
I am getting a clunk when I engage second gear at low speed. Also get a clunk if I'm just barely rolling and put in second. I was figuring it might be just the clutch hooking up, cux I once had a porsche that did that.

Is our clutch hydraulic?

sonic imperial
09-17-2002, 06:36 AM
I get a clunck sometimes when engaging in first or second from a dead stop too. Not every time but about 50% of the time I hear pop/clunk and I can kinda feel it in the shifter. Any ideas? I drive my car pretty well, I'm not new to driving stick.

SBC31
09-17-2002, 06:46 AM
Wow, I just noticed my right front suspension makes a clunk when the wheels are turned and I back into a parking spot???

Anyone here take the car to the dealer to have this checked? If so, what's the word?

Oh, and for those of you with the clunking noise, do you have bigger wheels (ie 17") and lowering springs? I just have 17" wheels on mine, but I doubt it's the reason for the clunking noise.

DynaSpeed
09-17-2002, 07:16 AM
This problem could be attributed to the infamous "bad grease" discussed in other threads. I, for one, can honestly say that the factory did not do a good job at sealing the strut caps with grease. After tearing them apart and overzealously packing the strut caps, I haven't had a problem.

sonic imperial
09-17-2002, 07:25 AM
I'm still running factory suspension and rims. I probably won't mess with it for a while, trying to get the balance owed paid down first. But yes, I do here clunks and noises often, especially after I've been driving it for a while. The interior creaks and rattles when going over bumps which was not a problem the first couple hundred miles either. I'm trying to decide if I should let the dealer inspect the suspension or just live with it. I'll probably let them know during the first oil change.

1fastminivan
09-17-2002, 02:19 PM
It is the "bad grease" haha. I took mine up to the dealer and they fixed it by taking off the strut and regreasing it. No more clunking noise. But now Im getting the same noise in the rear and Im gonna have to take it in again......it seems like when I slow down it will "pop" in the rear sometimes.

JSIR
09-17-2002, 06:48 PM
well mine was regreased by the dealer and all was fine for about 3 weeks, the noise was gone. The noise started to re-appear after that though. They are now replacing my spring/strut assembly since the first repair didn't last. Hopefully that works. I have heard that there is too much play in the spring/strut assemblies on some cars.

BlasTech
09-17-2002, 07:08 PM
My passenger door is giving a little creak noise when I start/stop. I guess its some kind of flexing, but it seems to be getting more noticeable..

I'm taking it in for the first oil change, but I imagine the dealership will just look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them about it. If that happens, I'll just find a busy sales person, and tell them in front of the customer.

sonic imperial
09-19-2002, 06:29 AM
I've been hearing some nasty crunchiness and popping lately in the suspension. I guess I better take mine in. I hope I can describe the problem accurately. My whole car feels loose now, lots of rattle over sharp bumps.

gpt
01-29-2003, 09:11 AM
I took my car to the dealer yesterday to get the clunking noise it was making sorted out. It only made the noise twice in the morning, once when I backed out of my parking spot and once when I braked for the first time.
They said it was the brake pads reseating themselves, which does make sense but I still wonder why they need to reseat. This is the only car I have owned that has made this noise. Anyone who knows more about this car to comment?

Thanks!:)

02SilverSiHB
01-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by gpt
I took my car to the dealer yesterday to get the clunking noise it was making sorted out. It only made the noise twice in the morning, once when I backed out of my parking spot and once when I braked for the first time.
They said it was the brake pads reseating themselves, which does make sense but I still wonder why they need to reseat. This is the only car I have owned that has made this noise. Anyone who knows more about this car to comment?

Thanks!:)
I notice that when I first get in my car...after it's been sitting for a while...and get on the road...the first time I stop, I get a clunk sound from the brakes. It never does it again. Weird, I know

i-WERKS
01-29-2003, 02:39 PM
After lowering my car I had some noise but some sillicon lube fixed it. When I first hit the brakes after the car has been sitting for a while, it also makes a clunk noise. That was also fixed with the sillicon lube.