PDA

View Full Version : EP3 oil cooler(k24a2)

epchad
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey guys ive been searching around and cant find a oil cooler made for the ep3 iv found some universal kit but nothing for our cars. i was wondering if someone can point me in the right directions or tell me how you did yours. my mods are k24a2 with jrsc i would like to find one with a filter relocater thanks

Deadphishy
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Your not going to find one. Best option is to get yourself a k20a2 waterpump housing. Then get yourself the k20a2 Oil cooler. It uses the Coolant to "regulate" the Oil temp, Hot and cold.

Lucid Moments
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I picked one up from a company called MFactory. Not specifically for the EP but it works.

epchad
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
really do yo have any pics and did you do a relocator

epchad
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Your not going to find one. Best option is to get yourself a k20a2 waterpump housing. Then get yourself the k20a2 Oil cooler. It uses the Coolant to "regulate" the Oil temp, Hot and cold.

does the k24a2 fit

Lucid Moments
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
really do yo have any pics and did you do a relocator

don't have any pics, but yes, it does have a filter relocator

Deadphishy
05-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes it will fit the k24a2 just look at a picture of a stick k20a2 if you want to see how it looks.

HondaFreak
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
The MFactory kit is honestly not a good idea. Mike also has a modified oil pump as I recall. VTC is oil pressure dependant. I suspect that's partially why Mikes top end has stair steps in it. I actually lost hp by putting that same oil cooler on my setup. VTC would not engage past 7000 rpm. The problem is simple. Imagine if you added 15 feet of arteries to your heart, all of a sudden your gonna feel light headed because your heart isn't made to pump that extra distance.
Are you breaking down your oil? Or are you just tired of changing your oil and having to wipe it off the axle and block? Someone already gave you the best solution for keeping your oil cool. An A2 oil cooler. Besides the MFactory unit isn't worth the cost and it's not built right.

Christian

epchad
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes it will fit the k24a2 just look at a picture of a stick k20a2 if you want to see how it looks.

so where do i get one and what all would i need

HondaFreak
05-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Cooler
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/item_oem.jsp?catcgry1=RSX&n=15500-PRB-A01&d=Acura_RSX_ENGINE_OIL_COOLER#

Pump
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/item_oem.jsp?catcgry1=RSX&n=19200-PRB-A01&d=Acura_RSX_WATER_PUMP#

though I'm not sure you need the pump. I will look at my k20a and see how it's routed.

Christian

Lucid Moments
05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
The MFactory kit is honestly not a good idea. Mike also has a modified oil pump as I recall. VTC is oil pressure dependant. I suspect that's partially why Mikes top end has stair steps in it. I actually lost hp by putting that same oil cooler on my setup. VTC would not engage past 7000 rpm. The problem is simple. Imagine if you added 15 feet of arteries to your heart, all of a sudden your gonna feel light headed because your heart isn't made to pump that extra distance.
Are you breaking down your oil? Or are you just tired of changing your oil and having to wipe it off the axle and block? Someone already gave you the best solution for keeping your oil cool. An A2 oil cooler. Besides the MFactory unit isn't worth the cost and it's not built right.

Christian

I'm actually running a stock K20A2 oil pump, and my oil pressure is about 45 PSI at idle and close to 100 psi at anything over about 3500 rpm measured at the remote oil filter which is plumbed in after the cooler. So the pressure is not the issue. I actually wonder if I'm getting some cavitation that may be causing flow issues, but that would be the same, more or less, with or without the oil cooler.

HondaFreak
05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm actually running a stock K20A2 oil pump, and my oil pressure is about 45 PSI at idle and close to 100 psi at anything over about 3500 rpm measured at the remote oil filter which is plumbed in after the cooler. So the pressure is not the issue. I actually wonder if I'm getting some cavitation that may be causing flow issues, but that would be the same, more or less, with or without the oil cooler.

What weight oil? 10/40? I run about 35psi idle on 5/30. 90ish psi at WOT. I don't quite see how without the MFactory and just OEM setup you would get cavitation. Unless it's because your running an A2 pump in a K24. If your using those beefy MFactory lines it would seem to me there is an issue pushing oil through those lines. Well I know it was overkill for me and the ITR motor didn't really like it. I will agree that more oil in the system can be a good thing, in that case I would go Accusump. Meh I've beat this one to death enough.

Christian

Lucid Moments
05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Yep, 10/40 Amsoil. Chunky suggested I try it because it has excellent High Temp, High Shear resistance that should do well on the track. And the cavitation comment is more just a wild assed guess (WAG) than anything supported by evidence. Just because I am building such high pressure so early.

Oh, and I need to find a copy of my most recent dyno. The stair steps are gone.

edit

Here it is. Its a little choppy up top, but not stairstepping line the old one was.http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4073&d=1269540998