PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a K20Z1... NEW.

spartan
05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
So I just bought a short block K20Z1, on ebay. I know dumb idea.
But it was only $1600. & i already have a Z1 head.
So I'm meeting this dude next weekend in LA to pick up the motor.
Can you guys give me any tips on lookin to make sure the engine is ok?
Also the engine code is painted red... Why?
These are the only pics I have of this block. Take a look.
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/BsmtMLwBmkKGrHqUOKjsEvPZQCg1BL4iVCj.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/BsmttpwCWkKGrHqQOKkIEvOS3oqeWBL4iYH.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/BsmtSDQEGkKGrHqMOKjMEvNg7S9BL4iWLko.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/BsmtYdwBWkKGrHqIOKjYEuf9B9ZzcBL4iWm.jpg

The Description read as this:
Up for sale is a genuine Honda/Acura RSX-S short block assembly(K20Z1). Honda/Acura part number 10002-PRB-A04. This item retails at $3,616.22 Part was bought for project car but I ended up selling the car due to financial difficulties. Part is sold as is NO WARRANTY and NO RETURNS. The block has been sitting in a crate in storage for over a year. For those who don't know a short block assembly comes with crank, pistons, connecting rods, all bearing, oil pan, and bottom timing cover. The bottom timing cover was taken off to enhance pictures. Item will have to be pick up locally or (depending on location) can be delivered. Item is too much money to ship. This auction is for serious bidders only please. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

spartan
05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow really!?

RHCP0801
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
looks brand new, but that is weird the engine stamp is spray painted red...maybe to make it easier to see in a picture?

mitchep3typer
05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
looks brand new, but that is weird the engine stamp is spray painted red...maybe to make it easier to see in a picture?

Looks legit to me. Good buy!

Marc-111
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
looks legit tome....i think at the dealer they really paint the engine code for them to spot it easily to identify all their engines for sale

spartan
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
makes sense. this block should come with the half shaft right?

spartan
06-28-2010, 07:37 PM
ok i have a K20Z1 long block. Completely bare.
After i get a trans, an I'm ready for the swap, what from my K20A3 can't i swap over?

johnkimble
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
kind of not related to your question but since the block is bare it'd be a good opportunity to get an RBC and a hondata IMG.

EPS, alternator, starter, IM, EM, TB, tranny, axles should all carry over. if you're running EP tranny you will need kpro.. more when i think of it :)

what header are you going to run?

spartan
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
kind of not related to your question but since the block is bare it'd be a good opportunity to get an RBC and a hondata IMG.

engine harness, EPS, alternator, starter, IM, EM, TB, tranny, axles should all carry over. if you're running EP tranny you will need kpro.. more when i think of it :)

what header are you going to run?

Well im saving up for the A2 trans cuz i read the speed sensor is the same as the A3 and different then the Z1. I'd like the ITR trans but i have a feeling that speed sensor is different too. Umm header im not sure, i really like the buddy club header w/ spoon N1 axel back, but i think it would be cheaper to run DC race header. Whats so special with the RBC manifold an hondata IMG?

johnkimble
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
ITR trans would work as long as its from the first gen DC5.

RBC and IMG are cheap and will give good gains. since you're doing a build you might as well if you can swing the funds

spartan
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
how bout this one? :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190399974620&viewitem=

added:
I also want to know about the timing chain.
My A3 is going on 80k miles an i think it would be a good idea to get a new timing chain for a new engine.
Online i see a timing chain kit, $320
an a timing chain, $30-40

which?

1GR8EP3
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
nice purchase just be sure to check it out, the crosshatch on the cylinder walls, etc... as for the timing chain just order another oem one along with a chain tensioner. The RBC would def be a good investment since it works with higher revs. All I see what you left out was an a2 oil pump/chain/ guides, and karcepts adapter for the rbc. And I would go ahead and get Kpro if I were you.

spartan
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
nice purchase just be sure to check it out, the crosshatch on the cylinder walls, etc... as for the timing chain just order another oem one along with a chain tensioner. The RBC would def be a good investment since it works with higher revs. All I see what you left out was an a2 oil pump/chain/ guides, and karcepts adapter for the rbc. And I would go ahead and get Kpro if I were you.

What chain/ guides an karcepts adapter?
I don't know what those are.
Kpro is prolly the last thing im getting.

spartan
06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Is that chain on the crank pulley the timing chain?
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/2010-06-29151842-1.jpg

spartan
07-14-2010, 05:44 PM
what does an upgraded underdrive pulley do, an is it worth it?
found a new AEM one for $100

todaamann
07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I didn't think the Hondata IMG would do much, but man i was impressed. I used to hang with a guy with an ep with very similar mods, and we raced before and after, and i pulled away noticably faster, i can't remember in detail.. but still. pretty nice for 50 bucks.

johnkimble
07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
^ good stuff. definitely including one on my mini build.

on the aem underdrive pulley, i believe it puts more priority on engine power > accessories (like a/c)

what's up with your ems issue anyway bro? did you get the car started yet?

spartan
07-19-2010, 03:23 AM
^ good stuff. definitely including one on my mini build.

on the aem underdrive pulley, i believe it puts more priority on engine power > accessories (like a/c)

what's up with your ems issue anyway bro? did you get the car started yet?

EMS?
I still need like $4k to throw this engine in my car.

02TWSI
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Engine Management System

you should get kpro first, not last.

spartan
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Engine Management System

you should get kpro first, not last.

... ems duh.
thanks.
I just bought a type S ecu, so ill get the kpro next. Thanks for the advice.
Would that ecu work with my A3 as it is now?

johnkimble
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
will the type s ecu work with the k20a3? it will run like ass (and that's after you get a dealership to mate it to your immobilizer)

spartan
07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
will the type s ecu work with the k20a3? it will run like ass (and that's after you get a dealership to mate it to your immobilizer)

It will run like ASS?
i dont even wanna know what that means.
I'll just save it all for the swap. I heard that Hondata takes care of the immoboilizer issure for you?

Passenger
07-25-2010, 04:38 PM
It will run like ASS?
i dont even wanna know what that means.
I'll just save it all for the swap. I heard that Hondata takes care of the immoboilizer issure for you?

Yes it does and running like ass means it'll run like poop, shit, dung, booboo, stinky, crap, a steaming pile, feces, fecal matter, melted m&ms, recycled grass food, ma's cookin', the squirts, etc.

johnkimble
07-25-2010, 04:42 PM
lol Passenger

if you get Kpro then yes hondata will take care of the immobilizer (you can disable the ecu's need to check for the immobilizer in kmanager)

Passenger
07-25-2010, 04:48 PM
lol Passenger

if you get Kpro then yes hondata will take care of the immobilizer (you can disable the ecu's need to check for the immobilizer in kmanager)
never understood why people use that if it's sync'd up

spartan
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM
well im not getting kpro for a while, too expensive. let alone any parts for my build. I am broke. to the maxxx.

02TWSI
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
never understood why people use that if it's sync'd up

used Kpros are not synced up.