PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to remove ECU in stock EP3?

Jmage
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I explain, I just found out that my ECU has been removed in the past. When I changed my cabin filter earlier today, I saw the upper bolt was missing and 1 of the 4 other bolts holding the ECU is different from the others, it got a philips head... Ok at first I was like "OMG where is the USB port???:mbiggrin:" Then didn't found one nor a Hondata tag. So now I'm more like "Why in the world would you remove the ECU from a stock car??:meek:". The thing with the missing/different bolt make me thinks that it was removed for a long period of time where the, or one of the, previous owners has lost the bolts... But the question remains the same, Why?

I'm driving my EP since 2 years now, no probs at all except for CEL led not working but I got that covered and bought myself a OBD2 scanner. You guys got an idea on this?

Btw, if you buy a Reflash from Hondata, does it come back with a USB Port??

T_Virus
05-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't think reflash comes back with a usb port...the usb port is only for k-pro.

AUTiger
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
you can find out easily if it's reflashed, rev it to 8k on the tach(which is really around 7.7k)

PAPITUYO326
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Reflash doesn't come withe a USB port.

The previous owner may have sold the original Flashed or Kproed Ecu and put in used ecu to take its place.

Jmage
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
you can find out easily if it's reflashed, rev it to 8k on the tach(which is really around 7.7k)

I don't feel like reving it to 8k since I have cam galling issue... Any other way of testing if it is Flashed or not?

Reflash doesn't come withe a USB port.

The previous owner may have sold the original Flashed or Kproed Ecu and put in used ecu to take its place.

Yeah I thought about this but when I bought the car it was completly stock... And when I put my AEM V2 I didn't see any kind of "mess" under the hood. So why Kpro a stock car? Very weird...

kprocivic
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't feel like reving it to 8k since I have cam galling issue... Any other way of testing if it is Flashed or not?

Yeah I thought about this but when I bought the car it was completly stock... And when I put my AEM V2 I didn't see any kind of "mess" under the hood. So why Kpro a stock car? Very weird...
sending it in to hondata theyll figure it out, i dont think its that serious though.
like papi said the previous owner may have parted it out. most people sell their car in stock form because its worth more versus being modded.

Jmage
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
sending it in to hondata theyll figure it out, i dont think its that serious though.
like papi said the previous owner may have parted it out. most people sell their car in stock form because its worth more versus being modded.

I don't want to send my DD car ECU to hondata to have them figure out :P
I know it's nothing serious since the car is running nicely since 2 years now, it's just bugging me that my ECU has been messed with and the car was stock... I mean im pretty sure it was not swaped then reswaped to be sold and I have a K20A3 so why Kpro this lol? Anyway I thinked about it and I may go to my local tuning shop and ask the guy who install Kpro to have a look at it. We never know, if I'm reflashed, I'm gonna go Kpro right now!

Thanks for your opinions !

talonXracer
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
more than likely the previous owner removed and sold a Kpro'd ECU and installed a stock ECU back in the vehicle.

Jmage
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Update

So I just went out and took apart my ECU. Everything looks "normal" if I can tell but there was no Honda logo anywhere... Normal?

Here's some pics:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/sirjmage/Keihin.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/sirjmage/Numbers2.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/sirjmage/Numbers.jpg

Anyone can tell me if it's been altered or not?

Thank you

Twisted-X
06-19-2010, 08:44 PM
You could always call Hondata and give them your ECU serial number, maybe they can tell you whether its flashed or not? :shrug:

Jmage
06-20-2010, 08:33 AM
You could always call Hondata and give them your ECU serial number, maybe they can tell you whether its flashed or not? :shrug:

That's something I didnt think about! While browsing Hondata website for a contact info, I found a pic of a K-Proed ECU
http://www.hondata.com/images/kpro2.jpg
As you can see at the bottom where is the USB port, I really don't have this piece in my ECU :(

Gotta see if I can email them my serial number. THanks for the input :)

Twisted-X
06-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Hondata offers full K-pro and they also offer a (cheaper) reflash.
Full K-pro will have the USB port, but the reflash won't.
Since you don't have the USB port, you might have the reflash.
But you probably already know this. :mwink:

Jmage
06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Hondata offers full K-pro and they also offer a (cheaper) reflash.
Full K-pro will have the USB port, but the reflash won't.
Since you don't have the USB port, you might have the reflash.
But you probably already know this. :mwink:

Yeah :P that's why I took off my ECU and had a look at it. Didn't see anything strange... So I'll presume it's a stock ECU for now until I try to rev it above 7k :P

Thanks for the input, will update if I end up having a Reflash hehe