PDA

View Full Version : CEL code P0141; help.

ep3jd
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
i searched, didnt find what i wanted to know. don't shit your pants.

i had a long tube header in. took it out, put stock header/cat back in, replaced both oxygen sensors and cleared the cel with an obd2 scanner. within 5 seconds of start up the cel pops back on and gives me the code P0141. now from what ive gathered it should take a little before it clicks back on if the sensor itself is bad, or if youre catless obviously. but this is immidiate. someone told me that it could be the conector that conects to the o2 sensor. not just the o2 itself. what do you guys think?

by the way i have to re register the car on 06/03/10 so i have like a week to get this off. as you guys know if you have a loan on your car, you need full insurance. if you cant inspect your car, you cant reregister. if you can't re register, you can't have insurance on the car. if you don't have insurance the bank will come after you. so.. no pressure... just really need to figure this out.. lol

thanks alot guys

MBaG
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
did you try resetting the ECU after you installed all the stock parts?

RedSiBaron
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
and have you rechecked to make sure the sensor is plugged in properly? were these new o2 sensors?

Deadphishy
05-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Dumb Question I know. But Did you put the Primary O2 sensor (the expensive one) Before the cat, and Seconday (Much Cheaper one) after? Then using the correct connector for both.

If the sensor is Bad you will get a CEL right away. If the sensor is telling you the cat is bad(or missing), it will take a Cycle or two before the light comes on.

I don't know anything about New york, but in michigan the insurance companies don't require your car to be registered before you get insurance. In michigan you have to take your insurance card to the SOS to get the car registered. Plus i can buy an insurance policy on a car i don't even own. Just have to have the Vin.

ep3jd
05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
did you try resetting the ECU after you installed all the stock parts?

did't reset as in disconect the battery for 30 mins, but i cleared the codes with the obd2 scanner.

Dumb Question I know. But Did you put the Primary O2 sensor (the expensive one) Before the cat, and Seconday (Much Cheaper one) after? Then using the correct connector for both.

If the sensor is Bad you will get a CEL right away. If the sensor is telling you the cat is bad(or missing), it will take a Cycle or two before the light comes on.

I don't know anything about New york, but in michigan the insurance companies don't require your car to be registered before you get insurance. In michigan you have to take your insurance card to the SOS to get the car registered. Plus i can buy an insurance policy on a car i don't even own. Just have to have the Vin.

yeah i got the new o2 sensor at work today. going to throw it in and reset the ecu by detatching the battery. also about the registration. if you rty to reregister the car with out it being inspected, with obd2, the DMV will know it is uninspected. hopefully this works.

RHCP0801
05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
you dont have to leave it disconnected for 30mins, more like 7 but just do 10

ep3jd
05-29-2010, 09:59 AM
you dont have to leave it disconnected for 30mins, more like 7 but just do 10

i'm just going to disconnect my life if this doesnt work. lol

usedep3
05-29-2010, 10:14 AM
how many miles do you have on the stock cat. mine went bad at around 70k. if the sensor is new its unlikely that its a bad sensor. i had replaced an o2 sensor recently and thought it was bad. soon realized that it one of the wires on the o2 extension was bad. took off the extension and bam, code was gone

RHCP0801
05-29-2010, 11:01 AM

lmao haha

he is using the cat that came off of my car, it only has 30k on it and was fine when i took it off

MBaG
05-29-2010, 11:10 AM

i believe you can just pull the fuse out. when i resetted my ECU, i pulled out the fuse... AND disconnected the negative terminal to make sure, while i did something else. if you reset the ECU, the codes should go away [at least temporarily], and it takes a few cycles for it to catch the CEL code again. if it picks up a CEL, then something is still wrong.

AaronH
05-30-2010, 08:35 AM
pull the ecu fuse for about 5 mins.... put it back in and start it and let it idle for about 10 mins.... the car WILL have to re-learn its idle so don't rev it up or move it or anything let it sit at idle.... if the code pops back up then there is a problem.... the ecu usually has memory of codes and that could be the reason it came on so fast.... reset the ecu let it re-learn and if nothing is messed up with it then you won't pull a code....

ep3jd
05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
so because the rear o2 was broken and i had nothing to compare it to when i replaced it i didn't notice that the one i had purchased wasn't correct... it was boxed wrong. i picked up the same one, same brand, same box, same number, different part. this is why it came on immediately. because it wasn't sensing a bad cat.. but an incorrect sensor. so in theory the non fouler trick i had tried could have worked.. i could have left my race header in.. and not stressed out for the past 3 weeks. but hey, at least my CEL is gone and i can relax :)

thanks or the input though guys, i appreciate it.