PDA

View Full Version : Air Pressure?

ttttrigg3r
05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
The recommended air pressure is 33/30 front/rear. The max air pressure on the tire is 44psi. Should I pump it up to the recommended? What do you guys pump up to? 33/30 seems way too small. Please reply I have a long road trip tomorrow and would like to know some inputs.

MOOGEN
05-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I pump up to max. Saves gas lols... Don't know if that's true but it doesn't bother me cause I have 55 series tires.

RHCP0801
05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
you are not supposed to fill it up to the psi it says on the tire, it wil not give you better gas mileage and it will also ride rougher and cause the tires to wear out down the center rather than evenly

i put the recommended psi in the tires, or you can do 32 all around

HondaFreak
05-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Your tires should always be filled COLD. So that means not driving on them for at least 30 minutes depending on ambient temps before filling them. 33 psi is what's on your door sil, that's what you fill your tires to. It has to do with the weight of your car. You can expect about a 3-5psi increase depending on how warm it is and how hard you drive. If you guys want your tires to last, you should never fill them to the max psi of the tire. It will cause bulging and uneven tire wear. Your not saving gas by over filling your tire, your just ruining your tire, decreasing tire performance and putting yourself in danger. I run 30 to 33 psi at the race track.

Christian

socmex7
05-27-2010, 08:24 PM
If you're going to be going on a trip i'd recommend bumping the psi up to around 35 all the way around if you plan on loading up the ep. the increase in weight correlates to the need to increase the psi slightly. if it's just passengers then perhaps drop the rears to 33psi. never, ever run the max. that is the max the tire can safely hold. and once you start to drive, the heat build up increases that pressure. but other than that, the recommended psi is a balance between ride comfort and wear. so go with that for DD...

MOOGEN
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
When I was in Thailand on vacation I saw this dude wtih an old toyota truck with a huge load. He said he inflated the tires to 55psi.

sLiCk
05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
You should fill to the factory spec indicated on the door jamb sticker. The psi stamped on the tire is the maximum the tire itself can hold before causing damage, not the recommended pressure. Having said that, I run my street tires at ~35psi.

Sucka
05-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Good thread.

socmex7
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM
When I was in Thailand on vacation I saw this dude wtih an old toyota truck with a huge load. He said he inflated the tires to 55psi.

he probably had a 6ply tire or higher. the load range would have been higher, therefore the max pressure would be higher. the Ford F-250 Powerstrokes and the Chevy 2500 Duramax' recommended psi stock is 60psi front 80psi in the rear. they can do that because 1.they are heavy trucks that can carry large loads and 2. they use 8 and 10ply tires. that have re-enforced sidewalls.
normal passenger tires would be technically classified as 4 ply tires. and do not come with any type of sidewall re-enforcement. air your tires up to 55psi and see how far you go before you're showing steel down the middle or they blow. :mbiggrin:

MOOGEN
05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
People do crazy shit in Thailand. This truck was no where near a full ton. This is a good thread. who would of thought.

ttttrigg3r
05-28-2010, 05:32 AM
33/30 it is. Thanks everyone

T_Virus
05-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Since when were you in ThaiLand? LoL...j/k...

MOOGEN
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
A long while back. Dag xwb!

Eh Tub, koj puas paub tias kuv twb muag cov projector fogs lawm nab?

T_Virus
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
A long while back. Dag xwb!

Eh Tub, koj puas paub tias kuv twb muag cov projector fogs lawm nab?

LoL...Kuv tsis paub es...really?

MOOGEN
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
LoL...Kuv tsis paub es...really?

Yep. Did you fix your door actuator yet?

Hasbro
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
There are a lot of disagreements re. tire pressure, even among engineers on tire forums. You can get better mpg with high psi and still get even wear. I used to experiment a lot with hypermiling and drove many thousands of miles at 60-70+ psi with no abnormal tire wear and way better mileage. Psi can be used to (fine)tune your suspension so depending on car weight and type of suspension should determine psi. Stock suspension (soft) can take higher psi and even improve some handling characteristics, according to GrassRootsMotorsports.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
For dd the recommended pis is fine. I usually put a little more psi in mine fronts i for 35 rears about 33

socmex7
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I used to experiment a lot with hypermiling and drove many thousands of miles at 60-70+ psi with no abnormal tire wear and way better mileage.

you sir are lucky you didn't blow a tire! a regular tire should not have to handle that pressure for long periods of time.. yes your mpg's went up, but the cost of replacing a blowout will nullify that with quickness..

Hasbro
06-01-2010, 09:51 PM
No, modern tires can handle it. As I said, the engineers argue about this stuff like crazy. I stopped going on the tire forum because they couldn't agree on anything.

Drew1d
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
pressure affects grip, ride quality and wear. If it's a DD, I'd just stick with whatevers on the door. For me though, I run 32psi all around.

27rocks
06-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I roll on ~35psi at all times.

T_Virus
06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Yep. Did you fix your door actuator yet?

Nope, not yet...I got nothing...

02_epdriver
06-02-2010, 11:40 PM
You should fill to the factory spec indicated on the door jamb sticker. The psi stamped on the tire is the maximum the tire itself can hold before causing damage, not the recommended pressure. Having said that, I run my street tires at ~35psi.

Same here run 35 all around. Gas mileage is ok and the tires wear just fine.

socmex7
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
No, modern tires can handle it. As I said, the engineers argue about this stuff like crazy. I stopped going on the tire forum because they couldn't agree on anything.

to each their own. just don't tell people that it is normal to run that kind of psi. there's a huge "DO NOT EXCEED xxPSI" on every tire sidewall for a reason. because if i tire fails on you while you are running the recommended pressure, the manufacture (if they are of a reputable brand) will give you some kind of warranty credit. but if the rest of your tires are at that ridiculous pressure you better believe they won't.

yes there is disagreement i.e. some tires have higher MAX pressures than others (that usually goes across brands) but to my knowledge no 4-ply passenger tire's MAX pressure is above 51psi (bfgoodrich g-force sports). now once you get to 6,8, 10, and 12 ply tires then you get the higher MAX pressures. /rant