PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Recommendations?

SiBoosting11
05-29-2010, 04:18 PM
stock 03 looking for a nice deep but not too loud, i still haven't done any header work,
any recommendations?

[Sip]
05-30-2010, 06:57 AM
You have a variety of options...often times it comes down to opinion. I remember doing research (sound clips, communicating with shops, asking around forums, etc). when looking for mine. I was looking for something deep, not too loud, and certainly not raspy. These exhaust systems fit the criteria:

Tanabe Concept G
Apexi World Sport
Fujitsubo RM01A (supposedly the Fujitsubo Power Getter has a deeper tone, but is louder and heavier)

And...there is always Toda and Mugen.

I can't personally speak for the Toda, but I have a Mugen system on my RSX. They're a bit pricey, but they're both supposed to be quite amazing. Mugen isn't too loud, and sounds amazing.

For my EP, I went with the Tanabe exhaust as it was affordable, and I was convinced by the sound clips on their site. My EP is a daily driver, so I was looking for something that sounds nice, and something that won't give me a headache.

JCEM
05-30-2010, 08:34 AM
What's your budget, and what are your long-term goals for the car?

[Sip]
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
What's your budget, and what are your long-term goals for the car?

Good call. What he said.

SiBoosting11
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
im still a high school student but looking to get to 200hp without forced induction cuz thats too much, im also debating whether to do my headers first or just go ahead with the pipe first

SiBoosting11
05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
;761256']You have a variety of options...often times it comes down to opinion. I remember doing research (sound clips, communicating with shops, asking around forums, etc). when looking for mine. I was looking for something deep, not too loud, and certainly not raspy. These exhaust systems fit the criteria:

Tanabe Concept G
Apexi World Sport
Fujitsubo RM01A (supposedly the Fujitsubo Power Getter has a deeper tone, but is louder and heavier)

And...there is always Toda and Mugen.

I can't personally speak for the Toda, but I have a Mugen system on my RSX. They're a bit pricey, but they're both supposed to be quite amazing. Mugen isn't too loud, and sounds amazing.

For my EP, I went with the Tanabe exhaust as it was affordable, and I was convinced by the sound clips on their site. My EP is a daily driver, so I was looking for something that sounds nice, and something that won't give me a headache.

how much was your tanabe?

sirsol66
05-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I have the World sport II, and am very happy with it. They can be found used pretty cheap, and theyr'e about as subtle as an aftermarket exhaust can get.

[Sip]
05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
It cost me 760 Canadian + tax/ship from Image In Motion in BC (over a year ago).

Showstoppersusa has it for 600 US (not sure about ship, but from my experience it's usually very affordable).

Surprisingly, the sound has some kick to it when you're outside, however, it's incredibly subtle when driving. Anyway, I'm very satisfied with it.

yyi
05-30-2010, 12:20 PM
im still a high school student but looking to get to 200hp without forced induction cuz thats too much, im also debating whether to do my headers first or just go ahead with the pipe first

with the k20a3, getting to 200hp is not gonna happen without some drastic changes to the engine. you are better off going with F/I or lower your goals.

logos22
05-30-2010, 02:01 PM
with the k20a3, getting to 200hp is not gonna happen without some drastic changes to the engine. you are better off going with F/I or lower your goals.

What can be expected with just bolt-ons (intake, headers, exhaust)? Are there any other relatively easy modifications that would increase the cars performance? Also, I've heard some good things about the Skunk2 Mega Power R exhaust.

yyi
05-30-2010, 02:48 PM
What can be expected with just bolt-ons (intake, headers, exhaust)? Are there any other relatively easy modifications that would increase the cars performance? Also, I've heard some good things about the Skunk2 Mega Power R exhaust.

you will make around 160-170 with intake, RACEheader, exhaust. Other relatively easy modifications IMO would be putting the car on a diet.

edit: 160-170 is an estimate of wheel hp, if you search around many have dyno'd around this ball park with those mods. It would be a pretty healthy gain over the ~130ish? stock output (drive train loss)

logos22
06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
you will make around 160-170 with intake, RACEheader, exhaust. Other relatively easy modifications IMO would be putting the car on a diet.

edit: 160-170 is an estimate of wheel hp, if you search around many have dyno'd around this ball park with those mods. It would be a pretty healthy gain over the ~130ish? stock output (drive train loss)

130 ish? I thought the stock K20a3 had 160 hp? At least that's what I've been reading on the net. What do you mean by "drive train loss?"

yyi
06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
130 ish? I thought the stock K20a3 had 160 hp? At least that's what I've been reading on the net. What do you mean by "drive train loss?"

Correct me if I'm wrong here; what you make to the crank is not what you get at the wheels. a lot of power is lost through friction, heat... etc etc. Thus why when our cars are rated at 160hp stock, it will certainly not make 160 on a dyno in stock form.

dkid15
06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Your right yyi

cloumep3
06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
to get to 200whp with A3 without FI or swap, prolly not...
I have WS2 on mine and it's as quiet as it can get, but keep in mind its restrictive outflow... If you want more hp, go with something more freeflowing muffler with wider pipe diameter (2.75 to 3"). I have z3 swap with RH/SR/WS2 and during higher rpm, I feel the restrictiveness of my exhaust... I had to compromise between more horse and quietness; I chose latter.