PDA

View Full Version : tires

frankybeanzep3
05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
hey guys i need some help! i bought some nice dc5 type-r 17x7 knock off wheels and i need some nice tires for them but since i'm a noob i need some input from the ep crew to tell me what tire and what size i should go with! it's either a 215-45-17 which is what i believe they say belongs on the car or a 215-40-17...car is not dropped yet so that might factor in! please give me some input! i'm sure this question has been asked a million times..btw the 2 tires i was looking at were the hankook ventus v12 and the sumitomo hrtz 2 also i need to stay under 400!

socmex7
05-30-2010, 05:48 PM
v12's and 215/45-17.. the 40 series will look like crap at stock height.

my avatar pic has the same wheel/tire specs at stock height.

Ronnie
05-31-2010, 07:54 AM
he is right
if u are stock then go with 215/45 , if not I would highly suggest u to go with 215/40
BTW Hankook v12 are the best, my buddy had them on his FG2
and now am running RS2

frankybeanzep3
05-31-2010, 03:41 PM
thanks for the input guy's! i'm gonna drop the car as well i thought maybe a inch or 1.5 inches...i want the wheel well gap to be minimal but also want the car to handle good! so these two tires are good for the money any other brands you guys like or are these 2 the best in my price range? also not to go off topic but what would u guy's use to drop the car? also any lug's that u guy's prefer? i was looking at the project kics

socmex7
05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
the hankooks are the best bang for buck. take it from someone who goes through tires like shoes. there are better tires (*cough*Dunlop Direzza Star Specs) but they will be out of your designated price range. as for lugs i have the black ones of these:
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small.diameter.aluminum.lugs
i'm happy with them. they are durable and lightweight.

BlownSi05
06-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I agree stick with a 215/45/17. This size is also the closest to the stock overall size so your speedo will stay accurate. Toyo Proxes 4 are great tires as well, just have to really search to find them for the price you are looking for. There are a few sites that have them for under $100/tire. Just another suggestion to throw out there.:thumbu:

frankybeanzep3
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
i really appreciate all the help from all who have posted so far!! also socmex7 i checked out the link for the gorilla lugs and they look good to me so its those or i found some project kics for like 50 shipped so i just gotta find a price for the gorilla's!!! i'm calling some guy's about the tires so i will keep u guys posted!!! also guys 1 question i left out was how are these tires in the rain? that could make up my mind

superstocksi
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll vouch for the Hankook Ventus V12s. I put a set on in April, and they are way better than the BFG KDW2s that I had on there before. They're much cheaper too. Too bad you didn't buy them a little sooner. They offered a $50 mail in rebate on a set of four through May 31. I got mine from the tire rack and had them mounted and balanced locally. Going this route saved me a bunch of money too. While I was waiting for the shop to mount them, I heard them quote a guy for almost $100 more per tire than what I was paying, even after shipping, mounting, and balancing.

socmex7
06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
in the rain the V12's still perform.. here's Car and Drivers perspective of them.. i came to almost the same conclusion. although i felt they were pretty soft but then again that's after running 2 sets of Dunlop Star Specs which are STIFF!. haha
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

frankybeanzep3
06-03-2010, 12:08 AM
i think the hankooks look like a good bet! that sux about the rebate since i thought it was till the end of june!! everyone that replied to my post i thank you so much for your time and info and taking the time to help me out! ill post up pics when i get them! no i have to find some good lugs someone said gorilla lugs are pretty good so im gonna research that now and also some project kics! then i'm gonna pic everyones brain cause i wanna drop her alittle so i'll need some info! maybe raceland?

frankybeanzep3
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
any certain weight i should be looking at guys? like 83,87,91? or is it all no big deal?

Ronnie
06-05-2010, 10:12 PM
thats all bullshit to rip ppl off homei,
go with the cheapest, I promise u ain't gonna feel any difference

frankybeanzep3
06-05-2010, 11:00 PM
ok thanks ronnie..i think it was the load index..but it seemed to be weird to me cause some1 said to get the 91's

socmex7
06-06-2010, 09:35 PM
thats all bullshit to rip ppl off homei,
go with the cheapest, I promise u ain't gonna feel any difference

it is not just bullshit to rip people off. it just has no negative effect when your are talking about passenger tires. there will no difference for his ep but if he has a half ton truck are larger the load index will be the difference in being able to support the weight of the truck or not. any good tire guy will be able to explain the differences between the weights and the reasons for them. and should be able to.

frankybeanzep3
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
ok so unless i'm going to tow something or have a ton of extra weight i n the car i'm ok with a tire with let's say a 85 load index? the oem tire's have a load index of 89...sorry for the noob question's but i don't wanna waste money and time if i order them online and then would have to ship them back would be a pain!

Ronnie
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
it is not just bullshit to rip people off. it just has no negative effect when your are talking about passenger tires. there will no difference for his ep but if he has a half ton truck are larger the load index will be the difference in being able to support the weight of the truck or not. any good tire guy will be able to explain the differences between the weights and the reasons for them. and should be able to.

JUST FYI we are on ephatch.com
-
and thx for explaining that

socmex7
06-08-2010, 01:06 AM
ok so unless i'm going to tow something or have a ton of extra weight i n the car i'm ok with a tire with let's say a 85 load index? the oem tire's have a load index of 89...sorry for the noob question's but i don't wanna waste money and time if i order them online and then would have to ship them back would be a pain!

like i said, for the ep, no worries. just get the right size. that explanation was to counter the point that was made that it never matters. it just happens to not matter in this instance.

JUST FYI we are on ephatch.com

does not negate the fact that you should not give wrong information. to generalize load index ratings as "all bullshit to rip people off" gives people the wrong idea if they do not research it any further. they are there for a reason. it may not affect you now, but it may have significance down the road.

frankybeanzep3
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
guy's 1 last question! my buddy came across a deal for me and the tire's have a 83 load index and oem is 89 load index..so will this be ok or should i pass because the load index is to low?

socmex7
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
you'll be fine in the ep man! haha.. snag that deal!

frankybeanzep3
06-11-2010, 07:09 AM
thanks for all the help! just wanted to make sure!