PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket...What's next?

KaeDu
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
So I am pretty sure that I blew my head gasket on my K20A2 because it leaked a little oil and coolant and overheats when driven for longer that ten minutes. I never let it get too hot and I have it sitting now. The oil looks like cappuccino which I have researched and is most likely coolant or water mixing with the oil (Royal Purple). I am planning on taking it apart but the question is what do I do since I am going to take the head off. I mean is it just too easy to replace the head gasket and I should be good? Or at this point should I upgrade the valve train or any other internals? My end goal is around 250 N/A HP with K-PRO. I am running an AEM V2 Intake, KiddKrusher race header and Greddy Spectrum Elite exhaust. I have an RBC and Honda IMG but I am waiting until I get my K-PRO ECU back. I am stuck in hard spot because I am going to have to have the head machined and checked for cracks anyways but I just don't know what to do. Money isn't really the issue but I also like to do things myself and save money for more parts, tires, gas, and general maintenance. Let me know your opinions.

Ep3 ked
06-01-2010, 02:14 PM
So I am pretty sure that I blew my head gasket on my K20A2 because it leaked a little oil and coolant and overheats when driven for longer that ten minutes. I never let it get too hot and I have it sitting now. The oil looks like cappuccino which I have researched and is most likely coolant or water mixing with the oil (Royal Purple). I am planning on taking it apart but the question is what do I do since I am going to take the head off. I mean is it just too easy to replace the head gasket and I should be good? Or at this point should I upgrade the valve train or any other internals? My end goal is around 250 N/A HP with K-PRO. I am running an AEM V2 Intake, KiddKrusher race header and Greddy Spectrum Elite exhaust. I have an RBC and Honda IMG but I am waiting until I get my K-PRO ECU back. I am stuck in hard spot because I am going to have to have the head machined and checked for cracks anyways but I just don't know what to do. Money isn't really the issue but I also like to do things myself and save money for more parts, tires, gas, and general maintenance. Let me know your opinions.
Im fixin mine now I Blew my head gasket 3 months agaio and im now just startin to put everyting back on. You prob messed the head up and u should make shure its not warped . You shoud check your vales to I replaced all of mine. I did the job myself with no power tools the only tool I had to get was the crank pully remover. It was a huge pain in the ass but im saving alot of money I dont even have...

Civic5lug
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
This would be the time to def upgrade your cam/valve train. Everything has to come apart. If you've never done internal work, make sure you have a buddy that knows what he's doing help you. Or just save yourself the headache and have a place do it for yea

HondaFreak
06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, the "safe" thing to do is have the block "decked" and have the head checked for warping. If the block corners have wapred at all just checking and fixing the head won't fix your problem. I know most prolly won't agree with me, but that's what you should do. Those are not things you can do at home. If I were you I would take it to a shop or look for a new motor. Might be cheaper to get a new, used motor. Good luck.

Christian

HondaFreak
06-01-2010, 10:08 PM
It seems to me that you should be able to get a good idea if the block is warped the same way you check the head, which could be done with the block in the car. You need as straight a straight-edge you can find and a set of feeler gauges that have the bend in them.

Umm No. This is taken from Dave baker at puma racing.

"There needs to be a jig referenced off the crank journal housingings and clocked to the bore sides to ensure the deck faces are at 90 degrees to the bore centerlines. Then rebore the the engine if needed true to the deck faces."

Like I said, you can't do it proper at home unless you have the right tools and knowlege. You can try, but you won't be doing it correctly. It's up to the OP, in the end it's his motor. But don't give him mis-information.

Christian

Tougeep3
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
actually it's an A2 not an A3. and there is a difference between "as straight a straight-edge you can find" and a precision straight-edge.. Specially at the .00x" measurement.

Twisted-X
06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/BlockWarpage.jpg
"7-18" Acura RSX-S FSM

Civic5lug
06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
:pop2:

KaeDu
06-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I appreciate the information. At this point how much could 3K get me to include K-PRO? Looking to make around 250 WHP and around 160-170 TQ. I am thinking that an entire rebuild would be the answer that I am looking for. I just don't want this to take too long. What are your suggestions?

mugen03
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
make sure the head is good, buy a k24a1 block throw your head on there. put the k20a2 short block for sale on here let them know you blew the head before they buy it. you already have the head, you already have kpro....so umm frank

KaeDu
06-07-2010, 07:54 AM
When swapping a K20A2, is the oil cooler a necessity or do you just plug it with lets say the plug from a K20A3? What are the steps that I can take properly diagnose the engine as having a blown or faulty head gasket?

POOPTOOTH
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
You already diagnosed it...car overheats and you have the infamous "milkshake" oil/coolant mix = Blown headgasket.

KaeDu
06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
ROFL. I would like to know what caused the head gasket to blow. What the point of fixing the head gasket if it just may blow again. I apologize if I wasn't clear when I said that. I just want to get it fixed A.S.A.P. unless I am going to be taking apart too much.

KaeDu
01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I got it fixed. Moderator feel free to close if need be.