PDA

View Full Version : Need traction, wheel and tire questions.

35ra2
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I know there are numerous posts up here for wheel and tire fitment, but i had a few questions or need input from people who run wide wheel/tires on ep's. I have enough power now to where i want the most traction possible, but i am not sure what size wheels and tires to go with. It is going to be an RPF1 but i want to know how i can run a 235 or higher; also if rolling fenders is a must for fitment and rubbing issues. My ep is my baby so rolling the fenders scares me a bit, any input would help.

socmex7
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
this.. best set-up in my opinion...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53564-New-Wheel-Tire-Size-thread&p=744906&viewfull=1#post744906

RedSiBaron
06-02-2010, 07:16 AM
this.. best set-up in my opinion...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53564-New-Wheel-Tire-Size-thread&p=744906&viewfull=1#post744906

ya that, but also to the OP...if you go any wider in the rear over stock and you are lowered 1.5inches or more YOU WILL RUB. i rub in the rear with 205s on rsx 16" wheels unless i goto negative 1 degree of camber. you will need to run some camber to clear your fender lips, but then again you dont need a lot of rubber in the rear if we are honest. run 205s in the rear and 225s or 235s in the front

Lucid Moments
06-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm assuming the OP is talking about 17" wheels. While I would like to run SHG_EasyE's setup that is mentioned doing a staggered setup means you can't rotate the tires, and tires are an expensive wear item for me.:mredface:

I am running 235/40/17 Toyo RA-1s on SSR 17X7.5 wheels. I never can remember the offset but it is somewhere around 38 IIRC. 3 degrees of camber in the front and about .75 degree in the rear. Had to roll the rear fenders to do that.

And just for the record camber is not a tool to make tires fit. It is a tool to adjust handling. What good does it do to run a wide tire if you have so much camber that you are only using half of the contact patch?/rant

Sorry, that is not necessarily aimed at anybody that has posted in this thread.

RedSiBaron
06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
i'm assuming the op is talking about 17" wheels. While i would like to run shg_easye's setup that is mentioned doing a staggered setup means you can't rotate the tires, and tires are an expensive wear item for me.:mredface:

I am running 235/40/17 toyo ra-1s on ssr 17x7.5 wheels. I never can remember the offset but it is somewhere around 38 iirc. 3 degrees of camber in the front and about .75 degree in the rear. Had to roll the rear fenders to do that.

and just for the record camber is not a tool to make tires fit. It is a tool to adjust handling. What good does it do to run a wide tire if you have so much camber that you are only using half of the contact patch?/rant

sorry, that is not necessarily aimed at anybody that has posted in this thread.

trooff

35ra2
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Ugg... So basically I am going to have to get my fenders rolled to run 235 or higher...

socmex7
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
gotta pay to play..

_shift
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
gotta pay to play..

x2
I also vote on a staggered setup. It can still give you the traction you are looking for, and possibly save you from having to roll the rear (as much).

35ra2
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Okay, so rolling fenders.. Is this something i should go to a shop to have done, or buy or rent a roller and do it myself? Has anyone rolled their own fenders without cracking paint?

Lucid Moments
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Okay, so rolling fenders.. Is this something i should go to a shop to have done, or buy or rent a roller and do it myself? Has anyone rolled their own fenders without cracking paint?

I did it myself with a piece of a baseball bat. Set the bat on the tire about where I thought was right and let the car roll back. (have a friend in the car). If that isn't enough do it again. It worked out just fine for me on a hot Ga. afternoon. Of course my car is a track car so I really didn't car if it cracked the paint a little. It didn't, but I wouldn't have cared if it did.

socmex7
06-03-2010, 08:08 PM
if your handy you can try it yourself. my buddy did and he cracked his paint pretty bad. so i wouldn't try it. i'm a pussy :mbiggrin:

SHG_EasyE
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
And just for the record camber is not a tool to make tires fit. It is a tool to adjust handling. What good does it do to run a wide tire if you have so much camber that you are only using half of the contact patch?/rant

Your right, but for performance, at least lateral performance camber is absolutely necessary. If youre running decent camber settings for track (-2 to -3) you will be bale to fit quite a large wheel/tire on the front. If youre looking to run 4 of the same specs wheels and tires Id say a 225/45 is a good option. Im running them in the rear with -1.8 camber and have some room to spare. (this is with rolled fenders)

Lucid Moments
06-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Your right, but for performance, at least lateral performance camber is absolutely necessary. If youre running decent camber settings for track (-2 to -3) you will be bale to fit quite a large wheel/tire on the front. If youre looking to run 4 of the same specs wheels and tires Id say a 225/45 is a good option. Im running them in the rear with -1.8 camber and have some room to spare. (this is with rolled fenders)

I agree completely. I run about 2.75 neg camber in the front, but only about .75 neg camber in the rear. And according to the tire temps I am getting at the track I am close to right (not quite there, but close) FOR MY SETUP.

The problem is that fitment is more of an issue in the rear than the front so you have people running some extreme camber in the rear where it is not needed.

SHG_EasyE
06-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree completely. I run about 2.75 neg camber in the front, but only about .75 neg camber in the rear. And according to the tire temps I am getting at the track I am close to right (not quite there, but close) FOR MY SETUP.

The problem is that fitment is more of an issue in the rear than the front so you have people running some extreme camber in the rear where it is not needed.

Yeah man definitely. Good to see youve got your setup pretty much dialed. I am so against this "hella flush" movement I think I get on a rant about it at least once a week lol.

POOPTOOTH
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Its easy bro. The eastwood roller is what I used and it was tits. It basically bolts to the hub, via the lugs and its just a big rollerskate type whell on the end, and just angle it accordingly and work it back and forth. As for the paint, a heat gun is your friend. I had my buddy work the heat gun back and forth while I rolled. Just dont burn your paint!

SHG_EasyE
06-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Too bad youre not in the new england area Ive got an eastwood and do rear fenders for $50. With the proper tool and a heat gun its basically a fool proof operation.