PDA

View Full Version : using dry ice

talonXracer
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I have to go and pickup my dry ice in a few minutes. How exactly is it used to remove the asphalt insulation? I will be getting it in pellet form, do I just pile it on over the asphalt and the crap lifts off? any scraping involved? pounding?

Thnx for any help guys!

showoff3civic
06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
OMG the ep3 god is asking for help! someone get on this

I am pretty sure thats what you do Doug you put it on the surface and the adhesive becomes brittle allowing it to break free from the chassis.

codyep3
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
OMG the ep3 god is asking for help! someone get on this

I am pretty sure thats what you do Doug you put it on the surface and the adhesive becomes brittle allowing it to break free from the chassis.

this

HondaFreak
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
First off, SAFETY FIRST! Goggles and good gloves. Leather gloves are best. Take 2 ziplock bags, preferably the big freezer ones. Put 1 inside the other for double bagging. Put a good size chunk in the bags. Seal it, crush with hammer or other blunt object. Pour onto the area to be removed. Blow on the area with the crushed dry ice until the dry ice is almost gone. You'll hear popping and cracking as you blow on it. Take a chizle an hammer and lightly tap on the dry iced area. It should pop up in flakes. Though if your doing this on a vertical area it's not so easy. I prefer a heat gun and chizle for verticle area's. Or you have to leave the dry ice in blocks, which never worked well for me. Please, safety first use gloves and goggles. Please, that shit will burn you. Hope this helps.

Christian

talonXracer
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Thnx, I got 30lbs of it, kept the filet mignon nice and cold on the trip home, LOL

I got pellets that are about the dia of your pinky, should pulverize fairly easy. This stuff should last overnight in a cooler will it not?

HondaFreak
06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Thnx, I got 30lbs of it, kept the filet mignon nice and cold on the trip home, LOL

I got pellets that are about the dia of your pinky, should pulverize fairly easy. This stuff should last overnight in a cooler will it not?

Yes it will keep to a point. I tried keeping it in the freezer and it still disapated quite a bit. Also be careful, the pressure of sealing it can cause pressure to build and, boom! I think using it fast got me the most use. Course I was using it in 90* dry Cali weather. Good luck!

Christian

P.s. Fillet? SOB, now I want Ruth Cris. Drool, fillet!

username011
06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Why would one want to do this? does it save weight or what?

HondaFreak
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM

I lost over 25lbs in the interior alone. Prolly lost double that on the underbody. I think the OP is cleaning up after a water leak. He had some rust. Makes the car loud though. I hear every pebble hitting the wheel well.

Christian

Passenger
06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
What other sound insulation options are out there? Are you considering anything Talon?

talonXracer
06-05-2010, 05:23 AM

I lost over 25lbs in the interior alone. Prolly lost double that on the underbody. I think the OP is cleaning up after a water leak. He had some rust. Makes the car loud though. I hear every pebble hitting the wheel well.

Christian

What other sound insulation options are out there? Are you considering anything Talon?

I am removing the asphalt insulation and the worthless car destroying Dynamat. This has absolutely nothing to do with weightloss, but everything to do with REDUCING interior noise, I will be spraying LizardSkin sound control and thermal insulation on every interior metal surface/panel and the backside of all plastic panels. I also DO NOT plan on putting the carpet back in, but instead will apply a bedliner type material over top of the insulation/sealer.

Crushing the dryice in a large ziplock bag really works well! I had tried just the dryice pellets and that was a failure, but the dryice "snow" really acts quickly! The popping and pinging noises are very pronounced!!!!

HondaFreak
06-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Crushing the dryice in a large ziplock bag really works well! I had tried just the dryice pellets and that was a failure, but the dryice "snow" really acts quickly! The popping and pinging noises are very pronounced!!!!

:thumbu:

talonXracer
06-05-2010, 09:57 AM
What a mess! LOL significantly easier than heat. Still leaves residue and isnt wait 5 minutes and it pops itself off,,,LOL more like wait 10 minutes or so and start chipping with a chisel/scraper and a hammer for about 15-20 minutes.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/newinterior009.jpg

Passenger
06-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I figured it wasn't for weight reduction (dumb in my honest opinion, 25 lbs does what?). Come down to GA and test out that lizard skin stuff on my car lol I want my cabin silent