PDA

View Full Version : Engine problem.

xworkingboyx
06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
this was posted on hondatech and clubep3, no one could help or respond.

the cars problem is it floods. I got CEL for cylinder misfire on all four cylinders and then one for random misfire. In order to start the car I have to pull the harness from the fuel pump assembly and and open throttle and crank and crank and crank...it will start up, ill relearn the ecu after its been reset and this is what it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF10DBDdwAg

My car went from running fine (drove home from work) walked inside and changed clothes then went out to the car to try and start it up and it was not running at all. The car will not turn over. Ive tested spark/compression/fuel. replaced fuelpump,pressure regulator,crank position sensor, cam angle sensor. Ive cleaned the oil pressure solenoid,soaked the injectors/rail/dampener pulsator in kerosene. Ive had the valve cover off checked the cams they look fine.

there was also another guy on here having the issue, it didnt seemed to ever get resolved. a friend who is fairly smart with ep's said the ECU can die. Im trying to get a guy over who has a PRB ecu and kpro to come test it but hes been busy.

Tnhatch03
06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
it is going into limp mode, which is the reason why you can not rev past 3,000.'

what are your mods?

superchargedk20
06-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Damn man Definately has to be a fuel issue. I remember When i did my swap and turbo i wasnt tuned and i was dumpin madd fuel. I had the same engine codes as u. and sometimes when drivin and droppin to nuetral my car would just die. Re check ur fuel pump and make sure there are no tiny cuts on the hose line and make sure nothing popped off the pump. Happened to me twice and i couldnt even start my car. Even if this may sound silly but maybe ur throttle is stuck just a tad and its flooding when ur car is off and u dont even realize? One time i was playin with kpro while my car was off and just sat there givin it gas watchin my tps go from 0 to 100%. I was bored and it entertained me lol. Next day my car wouldnt starts and i had to give it a couple of turnss because i flooded the engine lol.

xworkingboyx
06-06-2010, 09:38 PM
engine wise, the car is stock except for a cat back.

is the ecu actually in limp mode? I am uncertain as to what a kseries ecu does in limp mode.

talonXracer
06-07-2010, 05:20 AM
How did you check the fuel system? Did you actually check the fuel pressure? In order for the ECU to enter limp mode a CEL will be stored, what CEL codes are stored?

xworkingboyx
06-07-2010, 06:16 AM
the only CEL's that were ever stored were cylinder 1,2,3,4 misfire and then another for random cylinder misfire. I havent "tested" fuel pressure off the line. What I had done was swapped a working fuel pump assembly out. I thought initially i had bad gas because I just filled the tank. I have since drained the gas, swapped pump and pressure regulator.

talonXracer
06-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Do a compression leakdown test, also check the IAC for proper operation.

xworkingboyx
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
ok so a question

ive already done a compression test. compression was 178/180/180/180/

performing a leakdown test isnt needed? because the leakdown test is just telling me where im losing compression. please forgive me if im missing something too.

doing the leakdown would require me to have to drop it off somewhere. I dont have an air compressor and the car doesnt run.

xworkingboyx
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Do a compression leakdown test, also check the IAC for proper operation.

welp, found the problem today. thanks to a little searching on k20.org.

people have had the same issue..and it turns out to be vtc failure causing the timing chain to skip.
i pulled the valve cover off checked the upper guide..its been knicked (groove damage)..the chain slaps at a certain point in the rotation of the crank. the intake cam gear is about 4 teeth retarded at the moment. making sense obviously know to all my problems. Time to tear it down and pray for the best outcome in how much i am gonna have to spend.

SUSHI_NE1
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
what code are you getting?... I currently am having a problem where people tell me it is my iacv, but i cleaned the crap out of it this weekend.... And still have problems. Maybe this is my issue. Do you have the link to the k20.org thread? My dad said he thinks it may be my timing, but he's no mechanic... Lol

here's my vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kcNqA5C8AE