PDA

View Full Version : What should I do about my set up on bad roads here in Atlanta Ga

MarkL
06-08-2010, 06:55 AM
I bought a 03 si hatch last Thursday.It is lowered with 2" Neuspeed springs and what looks like stock struts.The stock struts are gone,if you hit a bump or change in the road you feel it hard. I drove to work yesterday 80 mile round trip being very careful and still bottomed out hard a few times. when I got home it looks like both rear tire are inward cambered. I took a jack lifted the rear end up and the passenger side straightened up the driver side did a little but still cambered inward. Should I go back to a stock set up?Did I bend something ?I Do'nt remember it being cambered when I bought it last week.I need to fix it asap. Should I buy a coil over set up?If I bent something what could it be? Is the 2" spring to low for bad roads here in Atlanta? Any one know of any shops in Atlanta that can help?

Zzyzx
06-08-2010, 08:07 AM
If you are bottoming out you only have 2 choices; increase spring rates and/or raise the car up.

for the rear end, does it have a camber kit installed? If not, then the rear end was more then likely camberd in as you describe when you bought it.

MarkL
06-08-2010, 08:30 AM
not sure if it has a camber kit. why would the driver side correct its self when i jack the whole rear end off the ground?

Zzyzx
06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Camber is dynamic, so as the suspension moves camber changes accordingly. With this car, on the rear end, compression = increased negative camber, Extension = increased positive camber.

So when the car is on the ground and the suspension is under load (compressed) the rear end will naturally camber in more then when you lift the car off the ground and the suspension extends. As far as one side extending more then the other, I'd chalk that up to stiff bushings or the condition of the dampers.

MarkL
06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
So what should I do?Lose Neuspeed springs and go back stock? Right now I cant even drive the car its so bad . I've had a lowered 92 hatch on Koni adjustable shock and Apc coilovers . I have stock wheels on it but just want something that's not going to bottom out in pot holes ect. I called Auto zone and its going to be 600.00 to go back to stock . But my driver side rear wheel is leaning in toward the top. Im almost positive it happened yesterday. I looked at the rear tire and the front when i got it home for camber problems.I figured when I jacked it up It would lean straight but it did'nt.

Drew1d
06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Can't tell you what you should do, but what I would do...
Nuespeed springs are softer than stock. And you're lower. I'd replace them, with taller, stiffer springs. Like Stock springs. I'd measure that upper arm on the side in question, and make sure it's not bent, and it's the same length on the opposite side. If it is bent, there are people selling them at this site for around $40. Buy and replace right away. Adjustable is better, but probably cost around $100. (Then Align)

If money's tight, I'd take everything out of your car that I could to make it as light as possible. Donut, jack...everything I could. Next, I'd drive REALLY slow around bumps till I get the money. Or maybe just replace the rear springs. the stock springs are like 220(F) 440(R) lb-in the neuspeed are around 200/280
Good luck man.

MarkL
06-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks Drew that's more what I was after. I'm considering getting this http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91 . I'm thinking that's probally the problem.I'll measure when I get home.do I have to remove the arm to measure it?

jri93
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
it doesnt matter how stiff your springs are, if your struts are blown then the ride is going to suck. id replace the struts with some koni's or somthing similar then go from there. maybe switch to the eibach prokit springs if you want to increase the ride height a little but not go all the way back to stock.

MarkL
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Im for sure ordering new struts/shocks maybe a coilover set when I get paid tues. Any others beside konis offer a good ride?I had a 92 hatch with koni adjustable struts and apc coilover but the coil overs sucked , just dont rember them costing so much. If I decide to buy a coilover cant I adjust the heighth to a higher level almost ike stock if I want? The car is dailey driver but stil would like to afew autocross races .Sorry for sounding like a newb but im 33 years old I had a 97 gti with nuespeed lowering springs and stock struts that handled ok. I bought the car new in 97 and the 92 hatch I had was 8 years ago. Jut trying to buy something once and not spend the money twice. I have $1000.00 to spend and woul like to not spend it all if possible. I do need the car working right on the first go around or I'll be renting a car to drive to work.he wife doesnt like not having her yukon to drive.