PDA

View Full Version : help with wiring ebay fogs

gamma6
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
help,
well i was trying to install my ebay fogs the other day and i just wanted to see if the relay and switch were wired correctly. (as told by chad) So i go and do this and nothing happened. I wired everything like how the honda installation fogs tell you to. I gave up and tried again later and when i turned on my car the switch light came on and then i tried again and nothing. I then noticed a bunch of things stopped working. see list below :( Is there any way to fix this problem? I checked all the fuses and they are good... Help please... I have seen an old post about this and how to fix it but i can't find it...

things that don't work:
Brake lights (the lights that come on when headlights are on)
the beep reminding me that my headlights are on when car is off
the gauge cluster lights (the speedometer thing)
the heating control unit lights
front side markers (don't light up when i enable alarm or have lights on)
these are just the things that i noticed... below are pics of the harness and what i plugged in
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/orange_ben/foglightstuff-1.jpghttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/orange_ben/foglightstuff-3.jpghttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/orange_ben/foglightstuff-2.jpghttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/orange_ben/foglightstuff-5.jpghttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/orange_ben/foglightstuff-4.jpg

tlikethedrink
06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
damn. i hate to see this happen to someone else too. i bought the same kit from clubep3, same results.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55440-Help-me.-No-dash-or-tail-lights!&highlight=

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=716991

your connectors are the wrong number of pins. kit is garbage. buy a fog light install kit from autozone or something....

to get all your other lights working, replace the "small light" fuse under the hood. your cluster may have fried a trace. if so your gonna have to jump it. read my threads.... they were alot of help for me.

tlikethedrink
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I ALMOST FORGOT. unbolt the fuse box(1 bolt) and bring it down to where you can see the pins in the bigger connector. i bet they bent too. may be touching which could have caused the fuse to blow like mine.

gamma6
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
so all it whats holding that thing up is that one bolt? i was on my back for like two hours trying to get that thing in there... does the kit from autozone come with fogs or just the wiring stuff?

black05ep
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
seriously. what i did since i dont use my front bumper lights was just wire the fogs to those. so much more simple im sure u could just splice the wires in there if u still want the bumper lights.

tlikethedrink
06-09-2010, 05:26 PM
you can buy a fog light kit, or just the install kit. they come with a switch, wires and a relay. not sure if you can use your switch that came with the kit. the OEM look of the switch on the kit was a selling point for me- nobody wants a sloppy looking dash

you could probably do what this guy said ^^^
im sure you can splice it in too.

gamma6
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
seriously. what i did since i dont use my front bumper lights was just wire the fogs to those. so much more simple im sure u could just splice the wires in there if u still want the bumper lights.

will this method be independent from hi/lo beams? pretty much they'll be on when my bumper lights come on right?

gamma6
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I ALMOST FORGOT. unbolt the fuse box(1 bolt) and bring it down to where you can see the pins in the bigger connector. i bet they bent too. may be touching which could have caused the fuse to blow like mine.

well that fuse was the trick, a noob mistake on my part, went to autozone to buy a fuse tester and only tested one pin out of the two so it would sometimes light up, as soon as i took the fuse out i saw that it was blown, thanks for the help man

gamma6
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

what if i do use those lights? will it change anything or it is it one or the other?

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
06-11-2010, 05:03 AM
gosh that fuse thing was so hard to push in for me too.

i pushed sooooo hard and finally it clicked.

I've had my ebay fogs for a year now ...and the fuse was beyond reconizable when i was checking last month. Any ideas how to solve this?

Chad
06-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Oh goddamn don't do that.... you can use that circuit to trigger a relay bit not to power a %% WATT HALOGEN LAMP. the wire is not appropriately sized, nad it will burn your switch up eventually.

gamma6
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
gosh that fuse thing was so hard to push in for me too.

i pushed sooooo hard and finally it clicked.

I've had my ebay fogs for a year now ...and the fuse was beyond reconizable when i was checking last month. Any ideas how to solve this?
which fuse r u talking about? if you're talking about the small light fuse its in the fuse box located in the engine bay. Look under the cover. that fuse fixed all of my problems...

gamma6
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh goddamn don't do that.... you can use that circuit to trigger a relay bit not to power a %% WATT HALOGEN LAMP. the wire is not appropriately sized, nad it will burn your switch up eventually.
good thing i logged on today and checked my post cuz i was gonna go buy splices right now, im just gonna get the list of things i need to rewire everything instead... dont plan on using an oem switch, or going thru the fuse box ever again i think i got lucky it was only a fuse...

Chad
06-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Use one corner marker feed to hit the coil of a relay, then the relay contacts to the pos of the battery and hte pos of the fogs, ground fogs.. rock out.

Same game, one more wire.

Fuse at battery, 15A.

gamma6
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Use one corner marker feed to hit the coil of a relay, then the relay contacts to the pos of the battery and hte pos of the fogs, ground fogs.. rock out.

Same game, one more wire.

Fuse at battery, 15A.
according to http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?47728-Fog-Light-Harness-Switch the wiring diagram, how do you change things up asside the one more wire? which # are you talking about that goes to coil of the relay? (30,85,86,87)
fyi not planning on using the oem switch...

black05ep
06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
i dont use my bumper lights. i just have the fogs wired to them and theyve been like that for over 2 years now through all the weather and hard driving. and they still work fine. they dont switch off on hi beams which i didnt want anyway . mine work great and have been. so i dont see why he couldnt. the wiring on the ebay kit seemed like too much of a hassle and this is quick.

ep3jd
06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
dude i plugged everything in how it was supposed to go and it just didnt work for me.. is there any way i can wire them to come on when i click my parking lights on and not need to mess with a switch? i give up on this ebay bull shit i just want the lights to work. ive had them for like 8 months now and i havent had a single idea how the hell to get them to work. i really wish the kit worked because it seemed pretty legit. now im just pissed these things are still sitting in a box in my room.

Twisted-X
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's a link (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?47728-Fog-Light-Harness-Switch&highlight=fog+light+wire) to a how-to for the wiring the fogs.:mwink:

Chad
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
i dont use my bumper lights. i just have the fogs wired to them and theyve been like that for over 2 years now through all the weather and hard driving. and they still work fine. they dont switch off on hi beams which i didnt want anyway . mine work great and have been. so i dont see why he couldnt. the wiring on the ebay kit seemed like too much of a hassle and this is quick.

Just because it works does not make it right. That circuit is NOT designed to handle 110 watts of lighting, it's that simple. Given the amount of people that chase their tails with electrical issues I feel i'ts important to do right. On top of that said circuit is the same circuit that runs your running lights so failure is a certain savety issue when/if it happens.

Look a the size of the conductor, do the math.

I've got a bag of relays I got for free from a buddy of mine and I'm thinking about using one of them to wire this kit. How can I tell what wattage the relays are rated for? (They're big relays, about 1.5x1.5x2 inches.)

The relay is rated in current. That current X12 (P=I*V) is the maximum amount of wattage the relay can switch on and off.

gamma6
06-13-2010, 10:32 PM
dude i plugged everything in how it was supposed to go and it just didnt work for me.. is there any way i can wire them to come on when i click my parking lights on and not need to mess with a switch? i give up on this ebay bull shit i just want the lights to work. ive had them for like 8 months now and i havent had a single idea how the hell to get them to work. i really wish the kit worked because it seemed pretty legit. now im just pissed these things are still sitting in a box in my room.
Damn bro i was like that for a month or so... had the box laying in my room until i said fuck it im gonna install my fogs today... I thought they were legit too and i was gonna luck out on any problems... so much for that lol

love559
06-13-2010, 11:38 PM
can someone tell me if they know where to pick up a relay for passwordjdm foglights,i called them they said ill have to look on ebay but cant find just that relay.password said ill have to buy the whole wiring kit.forget that!!! please let me know how to find one.

Chad
06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
If you are just looking for the relay you canpick up a bosch that will likely be of MUCH better quality. Some even have sockets that are pigtailed ;)

gamma6
06-17-2010, 05:01 PM
finally got my fogs wired and working...
:).... next step: ddm tuning hid's

Ronnie
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
finally got my fogs wired and working...
:).... next step: ddm tuning hid's

Fuck yeah , throw some 3k at her dude :D

Chad
06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
glare city, and you can't shut them off.

And you have to flash suppress them for when you lock/unlock or your ballasts won't last long at all.

Chad
06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Blink suppress for HID. if oyu insist on doing the corner marker wiring.... Note I AGAIN recommend properly wiring it to the battery.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/civic/BlinkSupress.jpg

Ign or Acc has to be on for fogs to work, therefore when unlocking or locking via remote entry the keys are in your hand... not turning the car on.

If you want to wire a toggle between the relays (Between the 87/30 connection) then you have an on/off manual override. ign or acc still has to be on.

And yes, I'm supplying the contacts with 12V not the wiper. It will work the same but doing it this way eliminates having a hot pin when the relay is deactivated ;)

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
which fuse r u talking about? if you're talking about the small light fuse its in the fuse box located in the engine bay. Look under the cover. that fuse fixed all of my problems...

In the third picture the OP posted, see that little black fuse holder on the top which holds I think a 15A, it melted!