PDA

View Full Version : Axleback to Midpipe Flange Rattle

.colin
06-11-2010, 04:51 AM
My axleback to midpipe connection at the flanges rattles like hell when I have any accessory on, and sometimes just idling in traffic. I thought it was because my gasket was all corroded, but I replaced that and it still rattles. It is as tight as it will get - any suggestions on what I can do?

On a side note, should the springs be between the flanges? Mine are outside the axleback flange. It looks like outside is correct according to the assembly drawing.

Emjay
06-11-2010, 05:25 AM
I get a similar very annoying squeaky rattle that after getting it on a lift discovered it's the springs themselves.
I lubed em up really well and it went away for awhile but now it's back. It's worse at idle.
I'm wondering too if they were installed incorectly. My Honda mechanic buddy says he's never heard it before.

.colin
06-11-2010, 05:44 AM
I get a similar very annoying squeaky rattle that after getting it on a lift discovered it's the springs themselves.
I lubed em up really well and it went away for awhile but now it's back. It's worse at idle.
I'm wondering too if they were installed incorectly. My Honda mechanic buddy says he's never heard it before.

If I press up on the flanges and off to the side, it goes away. When I pull my hand off and let it sag, it rattles. When I assembled it I put a jack under it to get the flanges parallel with eachother before I tightened anything. It honestly drives me crazy and it's embarrasing. I have to feather the throttle at a stop light to keep it from banging all over the place.