PDA

View Full Version : Removing the head liner?

talonXracer
06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
OK guys, some more uncharted waters here, I have removed everything but the actual headliner. I know about where the clips that are still holding the headliner up, but how are these removed, do I need a tool?

rd02SiR
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
i believe you need to push it towards the front of the car. there are "U" shaped tabs on the roof and "O" on the headliner that slide into each other.

Heitzke
06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
It's a pain in the ass. I pulled mine out a few weeks ago. I assume you've removed all the interior plastics, visors, lights, "oh shit" handles, etc.? Everything attached to or touches the ceiling of the car holds up the headliner.

As far as actual clips, there are very few. There's the big circle lock thing in the the back, and two plastic push clips on the very end of the piece in the hatch area. There are two "plastic velcro" type connections on the sides of the moonroof.

Getting it out of the car is even more fun than getting it off the ceiling.

Hasbro
06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
It's easy, just take your time. Yeah, getting it out of the car is the hardest part. Not sure as it's been four years but think it came out the side instead of the hatch?

Jukka
06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
if you look in the honda shop manual, it says to take it out through the drivers side, its pretty hard to do, but you can squeeze it through. All you need to do to take it out, remove all the stuff on the headliner (sun visors, oshit handels, lights, the round plug behind the sunroof), a-pillars, c-pillars, and if you can/got the time, b-pillars, then facing the front of the car, pull down on the headliner at the front of the sunroof section, then slide the entire headliner forward. there are 2 clips behind the sunroof section, and 2 in the back. Try not to brake the clips off the headliner just because they are PITA to fix and the cardboard they are attached to doesnt like to take glue again. Its pretty simple as long as you disassemble everything before hand. Took me maybe 5 minutes with everything else disassembled.

EDIT: Push the headliner forward instead of trying to remove the two push pins in the back. The pins are stronger than the glue/cardboard and they will rip the holder off. Ill post a picture of the back of the headliner when i get home and highlight the clips and stuff.

talonXracer
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
The rear pins pulled off the head liner years ago. I didnt know if the front push clips were real secure and if I would have to apply a fair amount of pressure to get them to release. As there is absolutely no other piece in the interior, reoval should be far easier.

Thnx guys!

talonXracer
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Thnx alot guys, I pulled the headliner this morning. I just didnt want to rip anything apart, I had read the manual several times and didnt know if I needed any tools for those front clips.

As much as I like the sunroof, I would much rather have a manual sun/moon roof, one that pops up or comes out completly, rather than that heavy ass mechanism.

Twisted-X
06-12-2010, 10:57 AM
The "Kustom" warning bells are going off...:mbiggrin:

peter2003ep3
11-26-2010, 12:41 AM
any of you know how to take the sun roof fabric piece off ? so i can replace with red suede

talonXracer
11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Remove the headliner and then the sunroof track.

AKAahlecks
08-30-2011, 04:14 AM
sorry to bring this back but how do you replace the rough carpet like texture with another fabric such as suede? do you just glue it over or something? sorry for being so noob lol

talonXracer
08-30-2011, 06:20 AM
The old fabric must be removed and new fabric applied with an adhesive. Do not attempt this with the headliner installed, it has to be removed.