PDA

View Full Version : amp and sub setup?

wtfOO
12-06-2002, 05:31 PM
hello, i bought an amp and sub and wondered if it would sound good in the ep. everything else( speaker, head unit) are stock. Ok, the amp im getting is a Audiobahn A2301Q 2 CH amp, it does 210 watts RMS bridged. The sub i will purchase from a friend is a Rockford Fosgate RFT3101. This is a 10" sub with ported enclosure. I will prob use 8 guage wire also if that makes a difference. I will prob install this in the next 2 weeks but am wondering if it will sound good or at least decent. Thanks.

IceD out N CALI
12-06-2002, 05:57 PM
as far as volume it'll sound pretty loud, but with stock speakers/power it might drown out the noise of your mids and highs. it will be ok, but prob have to adjust the bass knob down so it doesnt overpower the mids and highs too much. but it'll sound best if you replace the stock speakers and givethem a lil more power. :)

wtfOO
12-06-2002, 06:23 PM
thanks for the input, i prob wont bump the sub very loud, just wanted a clean sounding bass cuz the stock speakers do a terrible job. I'm hoping to put in a head unit and some new speakers and tweeters, but ill need time..out of money. i'm hoping to go for some Infiniti Kappas maybe..not sure yet. but thanks for the input.

Nosjunke
12-06-2002, 08:12 PM
I personally don't like AudioBahn. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Their stuff is pretty cheap to buy. I once paid $1000 for a 100 watt amp from Orion. It was the 100 HCCA. The thing ran 8-12" subs and slammed in my old blazer. The way it was configured it was putting out about 1000 watts.

Anyway, the car is so small that it won't take a whole bunch of power to make it loud. Especially in a ported box. I have a JL Audio 10" i n a ported box and it's pretty impressive. You'll be happy.

8 gauge wire for the power and ground would be perfect, just remeber to fuse the power line no more than 18" from the battery.

Infinity Kappa speakers sound real great, I used to sell them ,BUT they need a lot of power compared top a factory speaker. If you going to run them off the deck powr, I would suggest that you get a set of speakers that is efficient (over 90db a 1/watt meter). That way the front will play loud enough off deck power, and the sub won't dround it out. That's a cheaper stock looking way to go. I'm real happy with my memphis speakers, but that's me. You buy what your ear tells you sounds good. I've been around airplanes the past 10 years and my ears are going south. I need it loud.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

BarracksSi
12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Sounds like it'll work fine.

Please, please, also keep the bass out of the main speakers. Unless you're going for sound quality trophies, buy some "bass blockers" and put them somewhere in the signal path between the head and the speakers. Their slope is usually pretty shallow (normally 6 dB/octave), so if your sub's cutoff is, say, 100 Hz, use blockers that are rated for a 150 Hz cutoff.

In my old Si, I just stuck them between a speaker wire connector and its post on the speaker, then taped the bass blocker (really just a capacitor) to the speaker's magnet.

It's like distribution of work. Your sub is going to play the bass just fine -- much better than the other speakers. Keep the mains playing what's best for them, not what's best for the sub. Your overall sound will be cleaner.

chunky
12-08-2002, 12:48 AM
right now i have an 80x2 amp powering my front speakers (some old pioneers that I have that sound surprisingly good) and a 400x1 amp powering my single 12" sub.

and it's perfect, no distortion, and it gets loud enough to where I can't hear the engine at any RPM when the music is going. :D

also, if you're looking for an excellent cost effective amp look into u.s. acoustics. For a brief period of time, i had my eclipse amp that usually powers my subs running in 2 channel stereo mode 130x2 @ 40hm powering my two front speakers (i have no rear speakers). When I swtiched to the 80x2 u.s. acoustics amp, I only noticed a SLIGHT very very slight loss of quality when the volume was all the way up - you have to understand that most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. But the u.s. acoustics amp had a much better sound than my eclipse amp - the eclipse is biased towards treble, and the u.s. acoustics brought out the midbass a lot better without over emphasizing the highs.

anyhow, my 80x2 amp (which also runs in bridged mode @ 280watts) was only 85 bucks! now that is a deal.