PDA

View Full Version : Grinding like noise from the transmission

Silvercard
06-16-2010, 04:20 PM
It makes the noise when the clutch pedal is not pushed. I made a vid and u can tell when the clutch is pressed (no like grinding noise) then when the pedal is not pressed (grinding like noise). Its usually louder but later in the vid u can tell the difference. The rattling is a o2 sensor wire rattling in the background. Was wondering whats up with the transmission. Is this normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSVS0UFiBGw

Sub
06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
bad input shaft bearing in the transmission? maybe..

SUSHI_NE1
06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Funny... Mines makes a loud grinding noise when the car is cold in the mornings and afternoons after work. Interesting.

MarxOne
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Do you hear the sound when you drive in first,second gear?

Silvercard
06-25-2010, 08:24 PM
It gets a little quite gear after gear and i can still hear it on 5th

smykhaisouk
06-26-2010, 07:52 AM
i have the same problem and ppl are telling me its the input shaft and its common. does it get louder when the fan or ac compressor kicks on?? its really annoying especially since i dont have an exhaust to cancel out the noise. i'll probably swap the whole tranny when i swap for a newer motor.

Silvercard
06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
i have the same problem and ppl are telling me its the input shaft and its common. does it get louder when the fan or ac compressor kicks on?? its really annoying especially since i dont have an exhaust to cancel out the noise. i'll probably swap the whole tranny when i swap for a newer motor.
I cant notice it since my engine and exhaust vibrate violently lol.

27rocks
06-26-2010, 03:58 PM
My guess would be that its your throw out bearing/pressure plate.

babine
06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah I have the EXACT same sound on mine and throwout bearing is brand new so I would say it's the imput shaft bearing...

Twisted-X
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Mine does this if it sits for a week or so. Quiet with the clutch pushed in, ball-bearing rattly noise with it out. I've changed the trans fluid twice since I've had it with no change. My theory is that the fluid doesn't quite reach the bearing when the car sits for a while, making it dry when you turn it on.
My reasoning is that this was a problem with the Getrag 5 speeds in the j-body cars, and their "fix" was to simply over fill the trans a little.
I'm not a trans mechanic, so :shrug:

nolaEp3
07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
smykhaisouk, i have the same problem. when i turn the a/c on it gets real loud. it is the inputshaft bearing, im going to get it changed next week