PDA

View Full Version : Why is the new I-Vtec better??

Pradamuimui
07-16-2002, 01:59 AM
I have a question that has been bugging the hell outta me so Im gonna ask you guys and see if I get any good answers back. Now I know a lot about the old Vtec motors, but I need some things about the new I-Vtec motors cleared up for me. Is the new I-Vtec better???? In the old Vtec motors you had certain Vtec engagement points, for example the Acura Integra GSR has two Vtec engagement points. One at 4400 rpms, and the second at exactly 6000 rpms, which is when the secondary runners open up!!! So heres my question...If the new I-Vtec motor has no certain Vtec engagement point then that means that Vtec can kick in anytime correct??...and since the computer decides when Vtec kicks in, then that would mean that we dont have any secondary runners...right?? Finally, since our I-Vtec motors have only intake Vtec not exhaust Vtec..can we change that?? And if anyone else has any info that can make more sense out of the new I-Vtec motrs it would be greatly appreciated..THANKS!!

vteclimey
07-16-2002, 04:20 AM
iVTEC is the same as VTEC in the sense that they both have the two cam profiles, one for low revs and the other for high revs.

iVTEC is better, because there is more fine tuning of the valve timing giving the low rev profile more torque (a common criticism of VTEC). The result is a car that is easier to get on with for those who don't like the revvy nature of VTEC and the who torqwue curve is much smoother meaning the profile changeover is not as noticable as on VTEC.

02-sir
07-16-2002, 03:58 PM
this is an old SCC article on the RSX, but it still applies to us. we have the valve train of the base RSX but the non-dual intake of the Type S.

hope it helps

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives/features/feature01_0701.shtml

Silver '02 Si
07-17-2002, 07:46 PM
maybe exhaust i-vtec wouldn't have increased performance in this platform or they dont want to compete with the rsx-s. who knows but, damn i love my 02 si