PDA

View Full Version : monster tach install help

dw735
12-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, well I know some of you like the monster tach or dont, but those who have one or installed one on the ep, can you please help me out. its the first time i have ever worked on my car. (I have done a forum check, but none are detailed)

Here are the details
-5"autometer lunar series

1)Which wire do I cut, the brown and blue, or just blue? It says that for 2 pulse just cut blue wire, other wise cut them both for 1 pulse.

2)I searched the forum and it said that connect it to the blue wire.

3)where do i connect the red white and black wire?

4)how do i do a clean job, do i need clips or just twist them on. do i need any electrical tape or anything. also what does it mean to insualte the wire after cutting?

Any great detail is appreciated. any help i would like. please no bashing on me. thanks

cazzy
12-07-2002, 12:22 AM
what's wrong with your stock tach? :confused:

nx2kta
12-07-2002, 08:51 AM
can you say rice:cool: u ricer

PoRT
12-07-2002, 10:43 AM
please no bashing on me. thanks
good job guys

anyhow, some people like bigger tachs, i personally like them (i wouldnt put one on unless i could back it up, it kind of makes a statement) however, i had one on my mustang, and i loved it. a bigger tach with a shift light that you can mount in a better place can help you when racing. its personal preference.

02SiHB
12-07-2002, 10:48 AM
I'm not bashing, but it's not like a monster tach gives you any better of a read? If you're dragging, why wouldn't you be concentrating on your tach anyways? Depending on what you drive, learn when the optimal time to shift is.. I'm sure the light can help you.. But come on.. Don't spend money on some big ass tach and light that isn't really necessary... Just keep practicing... I know some people SWEAR by shift lights, but that's not the way I see it..

dw735
12-07-2002, 10:48 AM
im blind in my left eye, my vision is kind of impaired, but not bad enough to not drive. it just makes it easier for me to shift with a light, and in the future, if the redline could move up, i could just use the tach.

dw735
12-07-2002, 09:57 PM
ok guys, i installed everything except the wires, but i do have some minor questions. Alright I am going to use the connector for the blue wire, but the black red and white wire i have a question. Should i just connect the wire to the cig fuse for the white wire? Also, the black has to be grounded, where should i do that. it is not long enough to go into the engine bay, so i have to find it somewhere near the dash. Also, what does the red wire go. it said ignition, but what does that mean?h

ssvr6
12-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 02SiHB
I'm not bashing, but it's not like a monster tach gives you any better of a read? If you're dragging, why wouldn't you be concentrating on your tach anyways? Depending on what you drive, learn when the optimal time to shift is.. I'm sure the light can help you.. But come on.. Don't spend money on some big ass tach and light that isn't really necessary... Just keep practicing... I know some people SWEAR by shift lights, but that's not the way I see it..

It's a known fact that aftermarket tachs have better readings (more exact) than stock units.

I'll be looking into one, but not a moster. I need something less visual, maybe a Stack.

Steve

02SiHB
12-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Well jeeze, if you're blind in one of your eyes, that's a different story!

norcalSI
12-08-2002, 11:55 AM
if i'm thinking right all you need it 12volts ground and tach signal right?

Just buy some t-taps from pepboys and tap your 12 volts in your parking light wire tap the thing into ground and just find the tach wire from the back of the cluster and tap that wire. That should be it. IMO. If you can't find the tach wire. Go buy a 10 dollar logic probe and turn the car on and rev the engine and probe each wire until you find one that blinks or beeps with the revs...it will blink because the tach signal is usually a square wave...
my .2 cents

dw735
12-08-2002, 02:45 PM
okay it is all set up and running now, but the white lighting wire, i hooked it up to the cig lighter, but i want to set it up for the parking wire, or headlight wire, does anyone know where i can do that on the ep, because i only want the lunar indiglo to go on when the lights are on

dw735
12-08-2002, 02:45 PM
okay it is all set up and running now, but the white lighting wire, i hooked it up to the cig lighter, but i want to set it up for the parking wire, or headlight wire, does anyone know where i can do that on the ep, because i only want the lunar indiglo to go on when the lights are on

IceD out N CALI
12-08-2002, 03:17 PM
could you post a couple of pics ?:)

dw735
12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
ill post some pics when i finish cleaning and all. but damn, where is the parking light, my tach lighting is on all the time.

dw735
12-08-2002, 05:39 PM
is there a speedometer lighting in the fuse box, if it is which is it