PDA

View Full Version : Front end clunking/pop? UGH

ZoomBoy
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
So I've had the coilovers on my car for less than 5,000 km's and my rear sway is already rattling like a bitch. I need new end links even though these are brand new - that's a given.

Recently though I've felt/heard a popping in the front of my car while going around corners, low speed turning, etc. It sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel but I can also sometimes "feel" it below my feet if that makes sense.

Anyone have a rough idea of wtf is going on here? My car is in really good shape but I'm not sure if it's the tie-rods, ball joints, front sway, anything!.. looking for some advice here so I know what I'm looking at to fix it. Thanks!

djrockafella
06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I have the same issue - I have Racelands, can't seem to sort it out. I think the spring is spinning when I turn.

03Si757
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I think it has something to do with the top hats. Ima try to pinpoint my issue by replacing mine.

BlkDeathSi
06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
do you still have the stock top hats or are you using after market pillowtops with the coilovers? The stock parts tend to degrade rather quickly when lowered and cause the same noise/symptoms you are describing. also your coils could be rotating and not be seated properly, in which case redo them.

ZoomBoy
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Hrm, I have Racelands too - the shop re-used the stock top hats. Any way I can pinpoint between what one could be happening (spinning vs wrecked top hats)

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43330-Front-end-clunking-popping-noises-HELP
This thread covers the topic pretty well but i found my clunking noise was my front sway bar. It made the noise like it is coming from the floor. Also make sure the top bolt on the strut is tight. I had another clunking noise before and the top hat bolt was not tight

jubaque
06-18-2010, 04:15 AM
I feel u!
Damn why always Ep3 have this problem?

ZoomBoy
06-18-2010, 08:44 AM
LOL messed up suspension design. When I installed coilovers on my GTI I never had this problem, but then again the car was unreliable as shit so I'd rather deal with these smaller issues ha.

RedSiBaron
06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
check your endlinks, one is probably loose, if not that then check your subframe bolts...its more than likely one of those two things

DrZfInEsT
06-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd check the endlinks as well as jacking it up,shaking the front end and making sure everything is nice and tight.

ZoomBoy
06-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!