PDA

View Full Version : whats better for my a3?

amnbassist
06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm torn between doing an oem vtec killer setup or skunk2 stg 2 cams. Does anyone with experience tell me what pro's and cons are of each setup?

Onasty
06-18-2010, 06:26 AM
vtec killer very loud but great gains with oem parts, skunk2 idk cuz i dont have it

Onasty
06-18-2010, 06:29 AM
everything depeneds on wat ur goals are

skoundrelusa
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
everyone says Junk2 are....Junk.

AUTiger
06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
my skunk2 stage 2's do just fine. They would probably do better with an rbc and a better raceheader and exhaust. I have intake, prc intake manifold, k24a1 head, s2 stage 2 cams, dcrh, megan midpipe(2.25in), and stock axelback(k-pro). I put down 180hp on a dynojet. I have a KRRH and a type-s midpipe that I will probably install on Sunday, but unfortunately I think that any gains I would have made from the new header I will negate with the smaller ID of the 06 type-s midpipe. Still rocking the stock axelback too, so that won't help. I think with some better flowing exhaust components my stage 2's could hit 190 no problem. I just picked up the new midpipe, but because I got it for real cheap I will just use it so I can install my KRRH and then use it as a template and have a shop weld up my custom 2.5in exhaust.

mp_02si
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Im still impressed with the gains that are had with the oem vtec killer cam setup. As soon as my buddy with his type s goes type r cams im getting his a2 cams for $50. I have to vote for oem vtec killer cam just because its the better bang for your buck.

Jo7man4
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
agreed on the oem vtec killer set-up one question though would i see better gains with z1 cams reason is i got a real good price on a set

HondaFreak
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Umm I thought a3 cams were 2 lobe and a2 & z1 cams were 3 lobe. Wouldn't an A3 motor need the whole head? My memory is bad so I could be wrong.

Christian

AUTiger
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
no, by putting modified exhaust rockers on the intake side and sometimes modifying the stock exhaust rockers on the exhaust side you can run a2/z1 cams, but they will run only on the BIG lobe, hence vtec killer. There will be no changeover for vtec, just one big lobe.

Jo7man4
06-18-2010, 01:23 PM
what modifications need to be done to the exhaust rockers? from my knowledge you don't need to mod them just switch it out for the a3 intake rocker, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm really interested in this set up

AUTiger
06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
you should shave the rocker a bit so that the cam lobe doesn't contact the actually rocker and only spins on the roller portion.

HondaFreak
06-18-2010, 11:36 PM
no, by putting modified exhaust rockers on the intake side and sometimes modifying the stock exhaust rockers on the exhaust side you can run a2/z1 cams, but they will run only on the BIG lobe, hence vtec killer. There will be no changeover for vtec, just one big lobe.

Ok, so you can use them, but NOT really use them. Well to each his own.

Christian

JIYAKKU
06-19-2010, 01:13 AM
everyone says Junk2 are....Junk.

Everyone huh? That is alot of people. Do you have specific Skunk2 K20A3 camshaft incidents you are referring to? I would like to know because it is my job to know and to solve such issues. In my fours years of processing returns I have seen one K20A3 camshaft returned and that was because the engine itself was grinding up OEM camshafts. Let me know of the others and I will gladly help those customers out as well. I think it is safe to assume that everyone appreciates objective feedback rather than subjective forum hearsay.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-19-2010, 02:26 AM
dude get a k24a1 from the longblock shop and kpro call it a day. then you have more option to play with, dont gamble with your dd.

charles
06-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Everyone huh? That is alot of people. Do you have specific Skunk2 K20A3 camshaft incidents you are referring to? I would like to know because it is my job to know and to solve such issues. In my fours years of processing returns I have seen one K20A3 camshaft returned and that was because the engine itself was grinding up OEM camshafts. Let me know of the others and I will gladly help those customers out as well. I think it is safe to assume that everyone appreciates objective feedback rather than subjective forum hearsay.

geez, cant beat that service!

civsirmt
06-19-2010, 05:00 AM
i thaught u only had shave down the newer style rockers and the older ones were fine and u didnt have to do any mods to.

mugen03
06-19-2010, 05:01 AM

:shitfan:

Jo7man4
06-19-2010, 02:16 PM
i thaught u only had shave down the newer style rockers and the older ones were fine and u didnt have to do any mods to.

what he said:thumbu:

goldEp
07-17-2010, 02:46 AM
what he said:thumbu:

clear this up..im interested..

mp_02si
07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought the same as there are several people who have done this and have not had to shave the rockers at all

KevinEP3
07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I know your interested in Skunk2 but I have a set of Brian Crower Stg 3 cams (new) that I'm trying to sell. They would be less hassle than V-tech killer and better on the tct than skunk2. Take a look here's the link.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53865-Cams-and-Misc.

Twisted-X
07-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Its good to have someone from the actual company respond to this kind of thing. I, too, have heard this said more than once but these people never give examples or explainations. :thumbu:

mp_02si
07-20-2010, 07:25 AM
I have never heard anything bad about the skunk2 cams for our a3's. I had only heard something about the cams for the a2 but the issue was resolved quickly.

talonXracer
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
There has been no real issues with the K20A3 cams to speak of, there has been a few related failures, but those all came down to other components failing.

The only cams that Skunk2 had issues with were/are the K20A2 camshafts.

I would not hesitate to run the skunk2 cams in a A3.

I had only heard something about the cams for the a2 but the issue was resolved quickly.

"Resolved quickly" would not be the term that I would use.