PDA

View Full Version : what did i do?!

03NorVa
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
ok so i was goin down the interstate last night and i went to shift down into fourth... well it was a long night and i wasnt exactly focused on driving so i missed 4th, and hit 2nd instead. i was doing about 80. it didnt stay in second for more than a half of a second, and the car rins fine over 2500 rpm now but it runs HORRIBLE at anything lower than that. i havent had a chance to get it on a diagnostics machine yet, but i was wondering if any1 here had any idea what i did to my baby :(

EDIT: 03 si bone stock inside

03NorVa
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
UPDATE~ i just put it on the diagnostics machine and it came up with p0301 p0302 p0300, misfire in cylinders 1 and 2 and random misfire, i was reading on some of those forums and they all asked the question, was this caused by an over rev? and none of them could confirm the fact that it was caused by this, mine however im certain thats what did it. anyone have any ideas?

Sub
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
How high did the revs go on the miss shift?
I'm not sure but you could have bent some values, messed up rockets, or might just have to reset value lash. Not really going to know for sure till you take a look at it.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-18-2010, 05:01 PM
im sure the misfire was caused by the over revving and there might be piston to valve contact. reset the ecu and get a valve adjustment.

03NorVa
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
How high did the revs go on the miss shift?
I'm not sure but you could have bent some values, messed up rockets, or might just have to reset value lash. Not really going to know for sure till you take a look at it.

Well seeing as how I tach @ 7200 rpm in 3rd @ 82 I'm guessing it revved to about 12k rpm, but that's a guess, I'm not really sure, but I was a whole gear too low, so it was a significant overrev

whatisthis
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
have a compression test done. that will tell you real fast if there was internal damage done. sounds to me like you may have experienced valve float at high rpm.

HondaFreak
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
That's a mechanical over-rev. Welcome to the club. Your probobly looking at a destroyed head. When I did the same thing and I pulled the head, every single valve seat on the exhaust side was broken. Every valve on the exhaust side was bent. The a3 doesn't have vtec on the exhaust side. Hence broken everything on the exhaust side. Your bottom end is probably fine. But the head is gonna need lots of love.
My car sounded like an STI. That's the bent exhaust valves and the cylinders firing with the exhaust valves open. It's fixable. But if you got the coin it's a good time to do a swap.
Good luck, I've been there. It feels like shit, but one day you'll look back and laugh.

Christian

03NorVa
06-24-2010, 06:52 AM
ok so on my way to class this morning the CEL didnt come back on... it doesnt idle like a subaru anymore and its not rough at low rpms... its like the problem just dissapeared... im not going to get my hopes up cause i highly doubt the problem couldve fixed itself haha, im going to get a compression check done and see what they say. gonna be about a week before i can get that done tho. thanks for all the help and advice guys!

Jo7man4
06-24-2010, 07:14 AM
I wish this would happen to my a3, then I would have an excuse for the wife to buy an a2 with a 6sp...good luck with your car..

03NorVa
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I wish this would happen to my a3, then I would have an excuse for the wife to buy an a2 with a 6sp...good luck with your car..

haha yeah. wish i had the coins to swap. id def be doin that if i could.