PDA

View Full Version : Saw-like noise from engine bay at certain RPM's?

Alzg22
06-18-2010, 05:33 PM
(2003 Civic SI EP3)

A few weeks back I started to notice a loud sound coming from the engine bay. The only clear way to describe it is like a circular saw cutting through wood. The weird thing about this noise is it only occurs at certain RPM's, around 1500, and most clearly 2200-2400 - I've also heard it at higher RPM's such as over 4000 but you can't really hear it too clearly over the engine noise at that point.

You can hear it while the engine is accelerating or decelerating. The car will make the sound regardless whether it's moving or stopped, it'll make it in all gears including neutral or if the clutch is depressed - which pretty much leads me to believe that this is definitely an engine issue. For instance, I'm in 2nd gear and I rev the engine up from 2000 to 2500 RPM, you can hear the sound clearly in the middle of that RPM band while accelerating; then when I clutch to shift up to 3rd and the RPM's drop back down, you can hear the noise while the RPM's drop past that 2200-2400 threshold. What concerns me the most is how you can only clearly hear it at certain RPM's.

The only modification on my car is an AEM short-ram intake. I installed it when I got the car - and even though it makes a quiet whistling sound when lightly accelerating which is normal, this new saw-like noise has just started occurring. My gut tells me it could be the heatshield, but my bro-in-law said it could be the timing chain tensioner (which I'd imagine would sound more like a rattle than a circular saw cutting through wood).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Al

Twisted-X
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I would think a cheap, easy check would be to remove the accessory belt and check all the pulleys to make sure they spin freely and truly. Have you tried revving the motor from the throttle plate and listening for strange noises? You might even have a buddy hold the revs where it makes the noise so you can poke your head under the car in different places. My buddies Accord has developed a CAT heat shield rattle that starts at almost exactly 2000 rpms and doesn't appear again till about 4200 or so. Whatever the resonance frequency of the metal is, when the engine rpms match it (and the shield is up against something) it'll get louder.

BTW, welcome to the site!

Alzg22
06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Actually been with the site for a year or so now :)
I was at a buddy of mine's not too long ago and ironically the engine wouldn't make the sound too well when the car was stationary, but that was after a long trip. It seems like it makes more noise when it's just been started and its starting to warm up, but it's not always like that. Hopefully the next time I'm at my bro's house it'll make the sound clearly so we can pin point it's location.

thehulme
06-18-2010, 11:15 PM
make sure everything is nice and tight on the AEM setup and go from there. depending on your mileage, might want to check valve adjustment as that can cause chattery noise. check your exhaust and header for loose bolts or hangers. autozone will also check the car for any CEL codes(for free!) which might be helpful in a diagnosis.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-19-2010, 02:34 AM
do what alzg said. i did that and i found out it was my water pump

Tnhatch03
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
How many miles are on your EP?

I am not sure how I would diagnose the problem I had, but my idler tensioner pulley snapped in half.

Alzg22
06-20-2010, 08:41 AM
I've got about 115,000 on it. I'm just gonna be it'll the exhaust, don't have the extra cash to shell out on tensioner pulleys. I've been tied up trying to fix my lawnmower lately, seems like I'm having all sorts of engine problems :sick:

Tnhatch03
06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
it was not that expensive to buy. but then again, we are not 100% sure that is whats the issue.

trust me, if your tensioner pulley snaps, you won't be able to drive the EP at all.