PDA

View Full Version : 0-60 times in SCC, my thoughts

Nosjunke
12-06-2002, 07:56 PM
I'm sure we all have read the aweful report in SCC last month about our high 0-60 times. Well I spent a little time trying it out. I wanted to see why it was posted as being so slow. It's the shift to 3d gear. I can only get to about 56-57mph then I have to shift into 3rd gear. Clearly worth a half a second. Thos idiots at Honda weren't thinking about that or they would have geared it so you can go 63 in second gear. I sat at the highway on-ramp and just let the car go without caring about blowing it up and kept my foot on the gas pedal until it cut off. Of course it ran up to about 7100 rpm every time. A taller tire would make the rpms lower a hair, but also slow you down. So what's the fix. None, let these other 5 cars in the test think we are that slow. To 60mph my wife's Explorer is faster, but it almost doubles the power, and weight. Just weird things you do when your bored, and off from work for the day.

ssvr6
12-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Nosjunke
I'm sure we all have read the aweful report in SCC last month about our high 0-60 times. Well I spent a little time trying it out. I wanted to see why it was posted as being so slow. It's the shift to 3d gear. I can only get to about 56-57mph then I have to shift into 3rd gear. Clearly worth a half a second. Those idiots at Honda weren't thinking about that or they would have geared it so you can go 63 in second gear.

Those idiots did what most manufacturers don't, they made a car that didn't conform to all the "hype tests". There was an article in SCC a while back about the infamous 0-60 times and it's total garbage. Cars are geared to be pretty quick to 60, but after that, not much is left. This car has great, short, agressive gearing that's perfect for me.

Steve

Nosjunke
12-06-2002, 10:19 PM
No doubt, I like the way it's quick on acceleration, but what I like more is at highway speed you can zip in and out of traffic if you choose. Hmm. should I go to 4th gear of do I need 3rd. That's a great option. Having that much extra HP over a stock Civic makes it great to drive on the Highways. My wife calls it a mini SUV because it appears to sit so high, especially while sitting next my her Exploder.

JSIR
12-06-2002, 11:15 PM
time to speed calculations can be deceiving, I think time to distance calculations are a better measure of performance. Anyways, the Hondata upgrade (when it comes out) will help with the 0-60 mph times, the extra 500 rpms may help get you to 60mph in 2nd gear.

chunky
12-07-2002, 08:20 AM
the real culprit are the tires.

you can't launch the new si hard at all. the car will not pop off the line b/c the tires will just spin and spin. unlike previous honda civics, we've got low end power, so we can't launch much beyond 2500rpm w/o massive tire smoking or riding of the clutch.

hacim
12-07-2002, 10:07 AM
If you are to put a RSX type-S head on the car with the ECU and crank then you would have an extra 1000 rpm. You could then easily get 65 out of 2nd gear. I am sure the trany could handle it.

natesi
12-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Speaking of RSX type-S, why didn't they use that for the comparison? It would make more sense than the Si.

FailureToStop
12-07-2002, 11:17 PM
I think they didn't put in the RSX because of the price. The cars tested had to have an MSRP of $20K or less. I believe the RSX are above that.

David K.
12-08-2002, 01:19 AM
Another thing to consider is break-in period. It seems to me that our cars benefit from an extended break-in period with regards to performance. Most magazine test cars are usually low mile donors. Now I suppose that the other cars in the test could also have been low mile examples, but different cars react differently from the showroom. I would really like to see one of these magazines keep an ep for a long term test and compare performance after they've driven it for a while. I know mine seems stronger now than when it was new.

carbonSI
01-04-2003, 08:16 AM
mmmmmHMMmmmmm! haha so this is the reason why people give us the "those are quicker than i thought!" :D i know this, because i also am a person who said it haha, ive got some kills that i thought there was no chance in hell i thought the mini oddessy would take... "we got em! its the art of deception"-eminem haha enjoy -mike

swampdonkey
01-05-2003, 06:04 PM
What SCC said was that when a car is geared specifically for good 0-60 times is acceleration to any other speed will suffer. For example 30-50. Sometimes automakers just can't win though. At first SCC wanted shorter gearing and then they complained about the Spec-v not hitting 62 in second gear.

Mongoose
01-05-2003, 10:39 PM
SCC Vol 14#12 DEC 2002. Honda Hoedown

,They said that this was in 114 degree heat that was so tramatic that the RSX
type S times were much slower then normal.

The civic SI Ran 0-60 in 8.1 1/4 Mile 16.2
The Rsx type S only Ran 0-60 in 8.4 1/4 Mile 16.1
Are Rsx type S so effected by heat and Civic Si are Not?

The under $20,000 shootout has the civic running 8.5 0-60 and 16.2 1/4 mile
Was it 125 degrees out when that did the under $20,000 shoot out ?

Do these SCC writers know how to drive?

Civic SI (road and track 7/02) 0-60 in 7.6 Sec. 1/4 mile in 15.9

Civic SI Motor Trend(also a primedia Title) trash compactors shootout 0-60 in 7.56 and 1/4 mile in 15.8

These are just the numbers

I love my Car

Jpax
01-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Mongoose

These are just the numbers

I love my Car

*stands in the croud* Hi my name is Pax and I love my car too.

carbonSI
01-05-2003, 11:05 PM
[o.0]M <~~~~ "fists up" sign me up too! -mike

redlineracing
01-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mongoose
I LOVE MY CAR

Exactly. Who are these assholes to say exactly what our car can and/or cannot do? They have not tested these cars on the east coast nor have they tested any of these cars in "typical" conditions. I'm sorry but if anyone here including you people on the west feel that 110 degrees F w/ 85% humidity is fare to test any of those cars out in please feel free to correct me.

william
01-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Any of you guys find it weird how the EP was almost the most expensive car in the entire group, but in the real world it's almost the cheapest! I bought my EP for about 1000 less than an new Sentra spec-V, (Nissan dealer would not move 1 penny on the price) And the VW was way more than the ep. What do you guys think?

zensuit
01-06-2003, 05:45 AM
I wonder what the purpose of that kind of testing is anyway? If you are going to race the car, you will modify the car, so the stock tests mean little. What shows a car's true character is aggressive, fast driving over a long period of time. And where the EP shines is that after a long day of driving, not only have you been able to hammer along safely and quickly, but you always have a little power left over and you can be certain that the ride won't kill you.

I still don't think there's a more responsive (not fastest, "responsive") car on the highway. I have had numerous occasions to utilize the EP's acceleration and handling at high speed and it is the most intuitive car for performance driving that I've experienced yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Z

atl-si
01-06-2003, 08:19 AM
SCC sucks!!

r3p00c
01-06-2003, 08:35 AM
I agree, down with SCC. For a car like ours that is going to be one of the most used cars for modifications and whatnot in the near-future, they hardly ever give it any coverage whatsoever... and when they do, they bash the hell out of it. It really makes sense to talk bad about a car when you test it in unreasonably hot conditions. They didn't even cover anything that showed at SEMA!

another thing that pisses me off is the most recent issue i picked up, which showcases the cars they are using for their annual USCC contest. A Supra, Skyline, 3000GT, and a Viper? Since when have these been 'sport COMPACT cars'? And don't even get me started on them naming the Neon SRT-4 Car of the Year for 2003... 2003 wasn't even here yet, and the damn car wasn't even past the prototype stages.

I keep saying that I'm going to stop buying their magazine, but for some reason I keep picking them up just to see how f*ed up their coverage is. This will be the last one, I promise... :mad:

2k2SiAutoXer
01-06-2003, 09:04 AM
yeah, I love my car. I dont think i would even trade it for an rsx-s. Call me crazy but I just fell in love with the interior and, well, everyhting else about the car.

--Tom

ssvr6
01-06-2003, 09:31 AM
I guess I just don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up. This is how magazines work, they have editors who write "editorials" which are based on 33% fact and 67% opinion.

I could care less. They could call my car the largest, steaming pile of shite they've ever driven. I love my ride. Just let these guys remarks roll off your back.

Steve

zensuit
01-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I guess I just don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up. This is how magazines work, they have editors who write "editorials" which are based on 33% fact and 67% opinion.

I could care less. They could call my car the largest, steaming pile of shite they've ever driven. I love my ride. Just let these guys remarks roll off your back.

Steve

JMHO, but I think people get hot because bad motor press can cause a company to rethink a model...and I can see how the EP could be one of those cars...it would be a damn pity.

But...I am now renaming my car "Steaming Pile of Shite" in your honor, lol.

Z